Votes: 53 70.7%
  • err..... congratulations....?

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I don't care

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • God help you

Votes: 16 21.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
- relationships take work but it's worth it in the long run.

don't take each other for granted, if she cooks a nice meal always say thank you.
Have shared interests but separate time as well.
Don't stop talking and make each other laugh.
(and :secret: if you want something make her think it was her "brilliant" idea in the first place ;))
Best wishes.

[QUOTE 4442693, member: 45"] "Never let the sun go down on an argument" .[/QUOTE]

You can have children or you can have money, you can't have both.

have the wedding you want, not the wedding your families expect you to have.

. Communication is paramount. Giving each other space is also important. And listen. Really listen. And the most important lesson of all is to make each other laugh. Every single day.

That about sums it up, communication, laughter, knowing when to speak and when to say nothing. Never go to sleep on an argument as the morning after will be very awkward.
If you ask your other half whats wrong and she replies "nothing" you can bet your life it will be something you've done or said.
Treat her like a lady, flatter her and pay her compliments, NEVER forget to tell her that you love her or you WILL be in the doghouse.
many congratulations, I hope you have a long and happy life together.

Last edited:
No longer a tax advantage so dont bother. If a wedding ring is the only thing that keeps you together in the future your life is crap. If thr ring doesnt keep you together YOU will loose everything. If you want to be together then a ring means bugger all. Not forgetting you will spend the equivalent to a house deposit on a single day getting everyone pissed and puking and the odd fist fight.

OP
OP
Starchivore

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Thanks to everyone so far for all the kind words and..... interesting advice!!

I would say don't take each other for granted, if she cooks a nice meal always say thank you.
Have shared interests but separate time as well.

I definitely agree that saying thank you is important. I try to remember to do it always and I also have the slightly impolite habit of reminding her when she forgets to say thanks for something...
Shared interests and separate time, definitely. That can be hard as I like more time alone than she does, but luckily she has more friends than me so I do get some time.

Keep separate bank accounts. And have a few quid stashed away in cash (or something that's easily convertible to cash) that no-one knows about.
Seriously.

I think that's the way it's going for my generation, we all want to have our own accounts even if we basically share all our money. I do know relatives who have had real trouble over shared accounts- but I can see why people would have them also.

Watch out for the MIL
What's that?

Start filling a jar with beans. Put one in every time you have sex until you get married. The contents will cover you for the number of times you do it after you get married.
Seriously - congratulations. Are we to become privy as to how you asked her?
:tongue:

We had already talked about it quite a bit so I don't think it was a huge surprise. But I gave her the ring on a nice moorland walk. I'm not always the most sentimental but I did want it to be somewhere we could come back to in the future when I'm old and grizzly.

Congratulations. Does this mean you'll be adding a tandem to the stable?

I've actually only just recently got her going on a bike again- a halford's apollo mountain bike. So I am looking forward to doing some cycling together. I'd like to be able to maybe get her an E-bike one day so that we can do longer rides together and have a pace that suits us both.

This thread is making great reading- I'm taking notes.

Mrs M

Guru
Thanks to everyone so far for all the kind words and..... interesting advice!!

I definitely agree that saying thank you is important. I try to remember to do it always and I also have the slightly impolite habit of reminding her when she forgets to say thanks for something...
Shared interests and separate time, definitely. That can be hard as I like more time alone than she does, but luckily she has more friends than me so I do get some time.

I think that's the way it's going for my generation, we all want to have our own accounts even if we basically share all our money. I do know relatives who have had real trouble over shared accounts- but I can see why people would have them also.

What's that?

:tongue:

We had already talked about it quite a bit so I don't think it was a huge surprise. But I gave her the ring on a nice moorland walk. I'm not always the most sentimental but I did want it to be somewhere we could come back to in the future when I'm old and grizzly.

I've actually only just recently got her going on a bike again- a halford's apollo mountain bike. So I am looking forward to doing some cycling together. I'd like to be able to maybe get her an E-bike one day so that we can do longer rides together and have a pace that suits us both.

This thread is making great reading- I'm taking notes.
MIL is mother in law

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I'm a connoisseur of wedding cake :okay:

Top Bottom