Hills.... any shame in walking up them?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
One evil thing I find car drivers do on steep narrow lanes is, when they see you struggling up the hill towards them they politely wait at the top to avoid squashing you against the hedge. How very nice and polite.

Of course this puts a bit of pressure on me to return the favour by getting up the hill quickly. No chance of stopping for a breather now. Pretty soon I begin to suffer. Inside the comfy car I just KNOW they are saying "pedal, fat boy, pedal!" and laughing their socks off. At the top I give them a polite wave of thanks and once they disappear down the hill I collapse into the hedge.

Next time, just hurtle down the hill and squash me into the hedge. I don't mind, honest.

Heavens there is no shame in walking up hills. Its a good measure of how you are improving in your cycling the further you go each time.

Your body, your bike, your ride :okay:
I'm worried that I am starting to almost like hills. Almost.

ayceejay

Guru
What a brilliant idea, I thought. instead of struggling up hills I will find a route that goes around them. If you ever want to try this - think again. You can get lost, you can add miles to your ride and the biggy what goes down comes up and then you are trapped because if you turn around at this point you have to go up the hill you just coasted down. Get off and walk.

I was coming down here a while ago, and there was a beginner struggling just around the corner, she was riding across the slope to make it less steep, and was actually on my side of the road. It was fine because I was riding my brakes incase there was something round the corner, but if I had been a car and heedless of the road around a bend, it might have ended badly.

Sometimes discretion - and walking - are the better part of valour.

I'm ignoring him because he said he'd put me on ignore. Best favour he's ever done anyone, I expect. Every time I have to hit "show ignored content" and it's him, I am grateful I miss most of his posting.

Ohh I thought it was just humour. I must have missed something in the past, didn't know there was an 'ignored content button'

Ohh I thought it was just humour. I must have missed something in the past, didn't know there was an 'ignored content button'
Edit: Joke has gone, so I'm removing my commentary on it, and my other post.

If you want to ignore someone, click on their avatar and then click "ignore" in the popup.

Screen Shot 2015-11-25 at 14.jpg

Last edited:

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
I 'walked' up a short hill on the cycle track today..
It say 40% on the sign but its more around 25%...
I can do it but my legs get wrecked for the rest of the journey home ( still 200ft to ascend in just over a mile)

OP
OP
RegG

RegG

Über Member
I thought this thread would get a big response! :laugh:

For the record, I've been out today on a 15+ mile ride that included some big hills I've not tackled before - I didn't walk up any of them but just took my time and had a rest when I felt it necessary. :bicycle:

Top Bottom