Hills.... any shame in walking up them?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adamangler

Veteran
Nothing to be ashamed of if you dont mind the fact you quit.

Me ive never got of my bike, and im no way near fit i just refuse to give it, ive gone so slow ive nearly fallen off and ive zig zagged up holme moss but no i wouldnt dream of getting off until i fall off

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Nothing to be ashamed of if you dont mind the fact you quit.

Me ive never got of my bike, and im no way near fit i just refuse to give it, ive gone so slow ive nearly fallen off and ive zig zagged up holme moss but no i wouldnt dream of getting off until i fall off

but it's ok to stop and have a drink or look at the scenery, but obviously a poor show to stop and have a rest.

RichardB

Slightly retro
40% is 1 in 2½ in old money, unless I am mistaken. I thought the steepest road in England was Rosedale Chimney Bank, which is reckoned to be 1 in 3 overall. I haven't cycled up it, but I have walked it with a heavy pack, and it's like climbing the side of a house. 40% is a mistake, surely. Unless anyone knows better ...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Shame doesn't come in to it, but I do sometimes feel a sense of personal disappointment. The thing is, if you actually can't physically turn the pedals any more, you have to stop. No amount of mental "grit" is going to help you.

I usually just stand for a minute or so and get my breath back, and then ride for a bit further. Actually wheeling the bike doesn't seem much less effort than getting on the saddle for another 100 metres or whatever. As others have said, when you manage to get to the top of a hill that has defeated you before, the joy is just wonderful.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
If it's so steep the front wheel lifts, time to bottle out. I've had that on a motorcycle, despite lying forward on the handlebara

This guy never walked :okay:

View: https://vimeo.com/145659279

Postmanhat

I've walked up hills, and when I first started I would note where I walked and try to get that little bit further each time. And then the first time you get to the top is fantastic. I am prepared to cycle slowly getting to the top or stop for a breather or get off and push depending on how I feel.

Was passing a lady of a certain age near the top of a local lump. Huffing, puffing, obviously giving it everything she possibly could. My comment of 'well done' was apt as she yelled back 'That's the first time I've ever got up this hill!'. Pure exhilaration.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Since I got back into cycling a year ago, I haven't met a hill I couldn't get up - although in the early days some of them required the full bulging-eyeballs treatment and killed me for the rest of the day. But I see no shame in getting off and pushing for a bit. The key thing is getting from A to B under your own steam. If you have to go part of the way in a slightly different manner (i.e. beside the bike with your feet on the ground) than that doesn't take away from the fact that you did the distance unassisted by any external forces. If someone had cycled round the world, but had to carry the bike across a river or push it through a narrow street, you wouldn't say they had failed in the attempt.

Having said that, I don't like to admit defeat and will endure almost any pain and distress to avoid having to walk :smile:

Top Bottom