Hills.... any shame in walking up them?....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
No shame at all.

On all day rides I sometimes do it even if I could climb the hill just for a little break and change of pace for a few minutes.

You can't handle the hills! Son, we live in a world that has gradients. And those gradients have to be ridden by men with bikes. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Reg C? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom.

If you think it is ok to walk up hills, you will end up walking up them.
Earlier this year I was riding with someone who had just got a new bike with 11-23 cassette and 53/39 chain rings. He was used to riding a triple and warned me he would have to push up some of the hills. I rode with him on the steepest hills, rather than meeting him at the top and told him to just keep pushing to the next bit of furniture on the side of the road and that he was not going to push. He made it up, but if he was on his own he would have pushed. Its all in the mind.

Mrs M

Guru
Give it a go, if I can't manage just get off and walk up.
This happens much less than it used to and I have now "conquered" some of them :bicycle: :smile:.

No shame.

Enjoying the birdsong, eating a bacon butty, taking a photograph, lighting a cigar - doesn't matter how you "hide" it.

Katherine

Guru
I had to walk downhill once, which I didn't enjoy at all! (steep, slippery cobbles)

One of my new year's resolutions this year was to get better at hills and I've enjoyed fulfilling it. This was because I was embarrassed by the loudness of my breathing at the top of a hill last November on my first group ride.
I've done a couple of hilly Skyrides which have been great because everyone is so supporting and encouraging. It's so much easier to keep going when you have people with you.
The down hills are so much fun and are earnt on the ups.

I still struggle on hills sometimes, but I'd rather stop for a breather, take photos, have a drink etc, then set off again, than walk.

You have to do what works for you. Everything gets easier the more miles you do. Just keep enjoying your cycling. :bicycle:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Getting off and pushing is a huge disgrace.... but it's OK if no one sees you. So, if you ar pushing and hear a car, you must hop on quickly and start cycling again

Main reason for having to push is buying stupid gearing in the first place. Triple with granny gears, why push ever? My old 10 speed (ie 2x5) far too high for mid wales with luggage - these days - just silly shopping.

Top Bottom