HS2 - not so high speed ride to Banbury - Sat. 6th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After a bit of a hiatus over the last couple of years, I'm now back up to speed with getting some fun rides organised.

Seeing as the northern route for HS2 has just been announced, I thought I'd try and tie in a ride fairly close to April Fools Day and follow the initial path of this glorious white elephant/saviour of the UK economy/ecological disaster (delete as appropriate).

The intention will be to follow as closely as possible the intended route from Euston all the way up to Banbury. 91 miles in total, with around 3,900 ft of climbing.

Setting off from outside Euston Station at 8:30 on Saturday 6th April, the ride will basically head north-west(ish) to get out of London. Apart from Wormwood Scrubs, the first bit of green won't be until after Ruislip at 20 miles. But after then, you'll start to get out in the Chilterns, and experience the great outdoors. Of course this does mean some hills, but these are middle class hills, so nothing too objectionable.

The lunch stop will probably be just after 40 miles, in Great Missenden, where you'll be able see soaring Red Kites and then we'll drop down into Aylesbury Vale, then skirt round Stoke Mandeville before heading up towards Quainton, where the HS2 route heads along the line of the long deceased Great Central Railway. If we're lucky, there might be some steam engines puffing around.

Generally the countryside here is open, with long rolling vistas on display, possible only marred by the proliferation of the "No to HS2" signs. Then it's a gentle meander around Finmere, skirting Brackley before reaching our most northerly point, where we must part company with the intended HS2 route, and head off to Banbury, where Chiltern Trains currently run trains back to London (or even further north so I understand).

Ride open to all, not just train spotters. Usual rules apply - no-one left behind. I'm expecting to get to Banbury by 6 pm.

The intended route is shown here, although this may alter very slightly.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I need to check the on call rota but other than that please count me in

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Not sure. 6pm is a bit late to be leaving Banbury and heading back to Kent. I'll think about it.

Well, 7pm more like realistically, which means about 85miles to HPC via Oxford. So, about 3am home? Or, as Adam sais, start at midnight. Great training for the LEL... :thumbsup:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well, 7pm more like realistically, which means about 85miles to HPC via Oxford. So, about 3am home? Or, as Adam sais, start at midnight. Great training for the LEL... :thumbsup:
Why does everyone seem to think I'll be doing night riding on LEL!! Well apart from the first night obviously.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Why does everyone seem to think I'll be doing night riding on LEL!! Well apart from the first night obviously.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail, huh?

martint235

Dog on a bike
I never tried to be a boy scout actually. I was too traumatised after being kicked out of the Boys Brigade for being Catholic!!!

jayonabike