I wasn't aware.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are those who take themselves far too seriously and forget the broad Church that is REAL cycling

A cyclist is anyone who rides a cycle with responsibility and care for others... full stop *

Anyone who does not understand that is the one who has the problem

(*Except people who use a single pannier - I draw the line there)

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Lots of idiots out there. Poor bloke is probably henpecked beyond belief, has a micro-penis and has some thankless, menial job as he's not bright enough for anything else. That's why he has to make comments to others in compensation for his rubbish life. Just pity the poor chap and move on.

You carry on riding and having a good time, that's what cycling is all about :bicycle::okay:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I doubt they're actually a professional. Just some weekend wannabe who thinks a sportive is a race and is trying to compensate for their lack of personality by spending far too much on a bike which they'll never use to its full potential, and feeling high and mighty by belittling you.

Ignore them, it's not even worth the wasted breath telling them to eff off.
Quite. The elite cyclist doesn't need to be elitist. And I get the strong impression that the pros are still impressed by the current increase in cyclists and they welcome the greater number of cyclists on our roads. That sort of nonsense covers for the cyclist's own wannabe issues. Thankfully, it's rare to come across such bitchiness.

Mrs M

Guru
Lots of idiots out there. Poor bloke is probably henpecked beyond belief, has a micro-penis and has some thankless, menial job as he's not bright enough for anything else. That's why he has to make comments to others in compensation for his rubbish life. Just pity the poor chap and move on.

You carry on riding and having a good time, that's what cycling is all about :bicycle::okay:
:laugh:

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Can I just say that I wasn't aware that you needed to start cycling with an acceptable physique and a top of the range bike. Clearly me being overweight and having brought a bike from Halfords means that I can't go out for a ride.
I would just like to thank the somewhat athletically built professional rider that commented on my stature today. I thought that following up the "Oh look its a yellow shamoo" comment with "didn't halfords do well ! " was hilarious.
I was so amused that I could not contain my laughter.

I encountered many cyclists today, some were family's out for a ramble and some were more serious, some nodded and said hello and others stayed focused on the path ahead. But only one was rude.
I may not be sponsored by sky, or have a top flight road bike, but I am doing the best that I can. Ive lost weight and hope to continue to do so.
It is a shame that there are always some who will look down on beginners.

Often it's their insecurity about their own weight/bike/abilities which makes them belittle those which they see as less experienced. I'd fecking ignore that cr@p and get out and enjoy your bike.

young Ed

Veteran
sometimes i ride in full lycra kit and not a thing on my back flying along at 30+ mph and on a £800 road bikes running 23mm summer slick road tyres etc etc (you get it, a down and out roadie). sometimes i ride in full ex military gear looking like a vet with a large back pack on stuffed full of an ex police jacket covered ion sheep sh*t and large steel toe cap dealer boots and farmer overalls and a working country mans hat slogging along at 10 (or less) mph on a £0 pile of rubbish that's un-maintained and weighs 15 kg or so

my view on other cyclists is the same which ever set up i'm on, although i do find i am accepted more by other cyclists if on the first, roadie, set up. one thing i've gained over the years is a very thick skin, these days i pretty much don't give a toss what others say/think, so long as i'm happy and my set up works then what more could i want?
Cheers Ed

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
going off the topic a bit,if you see someone puffing up a hill on a saddle that's several inches too low would you offer advice or mind your own business and let them struggle on.?

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
I usually say hello 1st of all to gauge their personality. If I get a friendly response I try to engage in conversation then bring up their bike set-up. I have oiled chains as well ;)

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
He's an idiot.

Don't worry - in a few months time if you keep going - you'll pass him and his "all the gear, no idea" attempt.

Enjoy the riding.

For info; I'm currently commuting on a 13 year-old Carrera (magnesium Caerrera Virago). It's quick enough to keep up with / pass most and I'm probably time-trialling on it later this month.

Top Bottom