I wasn't aware.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I have a (very) expensive road bike, and I do like looking at fancy kit, but I am far more impressed by people who obviously aren't hugely fit out and about on a Carrera TDF than an athlete on a Canyon Aeroad. My friend who I'm doing the Étape du Tour with in July is probably doing it on a B-Twin Triban, and in all probability is going to smash me into the ground over the course :sad:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Probably an ex-golfist who's discovered cycling in the last year or so.
On the brighter side in 12 months or so when the nobber has moved on to the next flavour of the month, you'll be able to buy his bike for 10% of what he paid for it.

Reactions: _aD
On the brighter side in 12 months or so when the nobber has moved on to the next flavour of the month, you'll be able to buy his bike for 10% of what he paid for it.
Any bets on what they'll move onto next?
:scratch:

ayceejay

Guru
The first 10 (evening time trial) I did was a laid back club event and one young guy turned up in full aero kit including the pointy helmet. He did a very elaborate warm up and looked down his nose at the rest of us. The course was an out and back so you could see all those ahead of you coming the other way, Anyway the young guy didn't show but just before the turn around there he was, walking, having punctured.Normally you would empathize but me and some of the lads got to pass him twice and a more pathetic site you have never seen as someone walking dressed like a space cadet and it was hard not to snigger, I failed - twice.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've seen plenty of Pinarello Dogmas/Princes pushed up hills on the walk of shame. Ignore the idiots.

I even let on to two MTBERS tonight. Me a fixed gear roadie.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
As others have said its best to ignore them.
I bought a S/H mountain bike to help with a knee injury and am slowly extending my ride every week.
I couldn't care less what people say as l long as i am happy and its helping me.
Just got a bike computer so now i can keep track of miles traveled and how long it takes me [ not that i am in any great hurry.} :rolleyes:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
the support is good to see and is typical of cyclechat but some of the other comments are really cringe worthy, this time next year bolllllox, small penis, ex golfer, lone rider, all the gear no idea nonsense, its like the crap you patronise kids with...
But never the less, probably true. I've been at this a long time and I've honestly never met a genuine long term cycle enthusiast who was anything other than respectful and helpful to either newcomers or those with limited means who could not afford to spend out on expensive gear. Unfortunately the popularity of cycling has attracted the Strava and latest kit obsessed types who look down their noses at anyone they consider lesser beings. Exactly the same thing happened during the motorcycle boom when it was at it's peak about fifteen years ago, race replica riders in shiny one piece leathers who would openly sneer at anyone who wasn't aboard the latest mega rocket. And like their cycling counterparts will do, once it no longer became fashionable they disappeared en mass.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The blokes a pr*ck ignore anything he said.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
I set a personal best for distance today so I'm not going to let a bell end like that take the wind out of my sails. It was a great day.
I hit a milestone in April. It feels as good as the first time, and I've been doing this a while. Good on you and keep aiming higher! Just don't look up the Eddington thread here...us mortals will never be at the top of those numbers ;-)

screenman

Legendary Member
In contrast to the other posters, I think the bloke was a BIG dick.

However since when was there a rule you had to do a sub 20 ten before you could spend on a bike of your choice.

Hyslop

Veteran
Best comeback ever: "I couldn't agree more, I'm in training to be a tw@t, just like you" you see them wobble when they look back at you

You do your own thing, ignore what others say or shout, you have much respect from everyone on this forum, it's friends like us who's opinions count :thumbsup:
Spoken like a Northern lad:okay:.And quite right.

stephec

Legendary Member

I'm glad I read all the way through before replying as this is pretty much what I was going to say. :smile:

To the OP, if you see him again a quick, "shut up you knob cheese," should do the trick.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
the support is good to see and is typical of cyclechat but some of the other comments are really cringe worthy, this time next year bolllllox, small penis, ex golfer, lone rider, all the gear no idea nonsense, its like the crap you patronise kids with...

You know when it's sometimes better to say nothing? That may have been one of those times :whistle: hope that's not too patronising.

Top Bottom