I wasn't aware.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Diggs

Veteran
Couldn't agree more, unfortunately there's elitism everywhere. Personally I'm at a stage where I don't really give a (insert word of choice here) what anyone else thinks. Just ignore them, life is too short to get hung up on idiots

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Beaten to it by @DCLane ^_^
Exactly what I was going to type: op, ignore the rude person, sure as something inevitable :laugh: in 6 months time you will beat the ignorant cyclist up the hill.
Continue enjoying your bike, don't be put off by this experience.

Ganymede

Veteran
I'm really sorry you met this horrible bloke, @double0jedi. It's amazing how upsetting it can be when some awful stranger says something offensive like that. Well, he doesn't know you and we do, so we're the ones who matter, and we think GOOD ON YOU and you are part of the great world of cycling.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
someone somewhere will always look down on someone else for whatever reason, ignore, move on, enjoy your riding..
on another point to the other posters, why if someone is an obnoxious assshole, they have a small penis or insecurities etc. I played team sports all my life which meant I've spent a fair amount of time naked in showers with other men, ;) and some of the most arrogant, smug, self assured people I've ever met were hung like fecking donkeys....^_^

I hadn't realised we had met ;)^_^^_^

Seriously OP, as others have said, don't let them get to you. Your bike is there to be enjoyed by you. If others have a problem with either your size and/or choice of bike, it is they who have the problem not you.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I have never known a good cyclist who took the P out of someone else's bike. I've belonged to clubs where some guys had race bikes that would be at home in the pro peloton and others had machines that were cobbled together on a budget yet no one ever sneered at what someone else rode.

The OP has met one of the "New golf" brigade, fashion junkies who probably can't even change an inner tube. They'll be gone when the next big thing comes along, and good riddance.

DanZac

As others have noted the smile will soon be on your face and not his. This is the type of person I love, the ones that get a right mardy on when you pass them in their full team gear going up hill blowing out their asses on your tourer. A cheery hello always gets a great reaction.
Ignore, enjoy getting out there and keep up the good work. He who laughs last laughs longest and all that.

OP
OP
D

double0jedi

Thank you all for the support, don't get me wrong I wasn't scared by the experience. Mind you it was the first time I went out in a lycra get up, so it did make me a little self conscious. But as others have said, it's his problem not mine. I set a personal best for distance today so I'm not going to let a bell end like that take the wind out of my sails. It was a great day.

Can I just say that I wasn't aware that you needed to start cycling with an acceptable physique and a top of the range bike. Clearly me being overweight and having brought a bike from Halfords means that I can't go out for a ride.
I would just like to thank the somewhat athletically built professional rider that commented on my stature today. I thought that following up the "Oh look its a yellow shamoo" comment with "didn't halfords do well ! " was hilarious.
I was so amused that I could not contain my laughter.

I encountered many cyclists today, some were family's out for a ramble and some were more serious, some nodded and said hello and others stayed focused on the path ahead. But only one was rude.
I may not be sponsored by sky, or have a top flight road bike, but I am doing the best that I can. Ive lost weight and hope to continue to do so.
It is a shame that there are always some who will look down on beginners.

Keep at it, don't let idiots like that get to you:thumbsup:

Citius

Can I just say that I wasn't aware that you needed to start cycling with an acceptable physique and a top of the range bike. Clearly me being overweight and having brought a bike from Halfords means that I can't go out for a ride.
I would just like to thank the somewhat athletically built professional rider that commented on my stature today. I thought that following up the "Oh look its a yellow shamoo" comment with "didn't halfords do well ! " was hilarious.
I was so amused that I could not contain my laughter.

I encountered many cyclists today, some were family's out for a ramble and some were more serious, some nodded and said hello and others stayed focused on the path ahead. But only one was rude.
I may not be sponsored by sky, or have a top flight road bike, but I am doing the best that I can. Ive lost weight and hope to continue to do so.
It is a shame that there are always some who will look down on beginners.

Would you recognise him again? If so, give yourself 12 months and then kick his arse.

Yep, nobber. Best ignored. Go out, enjoy the ride. FWIW 2 of my bikes are Halfords, nothing wrong with them.
Exactly, 2 of my 4 remaining bikes are from Halfords, the other 2 are from Decathlon. Their combined cost, didn't reach that of the 'flashy' Bianchi, that I sold on. Are they any worse, nope, I did the Randonnee on Sunday, on the 'crappest bike in the universe' (my faithful old Btwin Riverside hybrid). The look on the faces of some of the FPKW, I passed on the steeper bits, was hilarious.

Top Bottom