I will be appearing on BBC Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
No problem. He has a special button on the main telly and only has to prestatyn to get the Beeb.

Ultra groan....

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
[QUOTE 2691854, member: 1314"]What are you hoping to achieve from the programme, MT?[/quote]
Nothing. They were just asking me things. I was just doing it to please them really (plus they would probably pester me if I hadnt).
I hope they don't edit this programme in the same way as they did in the one with Gaz.
I dont think they will. I said some very general things with regards to cycling in general and the concept of uploading things to Youtube.
What, edit it so it shows him as a normal cyclist you mean?:crazy:
:dry:

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
The Producer informed me that he will be focussing on the new penalties for driving in the centre lane on the motorway, tailgating, etc. He asked me what I think of the new fines and when they should be used. I gave my opinion that certain circumstances would benefit from it, but changing peoples actions are a little harder to achieve.

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
[QUOTE 2692950, member: 1314"]I don't think that's a good enough reason. "Just to please them?" This is about cycling in the area - did you consult with local cycling groups/cyclists before going ahead with this? If not, why not?

I think you're dissembling.[/quote]
Make of it what you will, but they were focusing on road rage, not cycling in general. However, one of the questions was "How often do you experience road rage?" to which my reply was "I rarely experience road rage. I have the typical near misses due to poor judgement from motorists that any cyclist gets, however I rarely have someone get out of their vehicle and approach me".
I did explain that cycling in North Wales is delightful and the cycle system around here is very good (plenty of routes).

They asked me that many questions that I cannot tell you the answers to them all. And it is up to them what they use in the video. I guess we will just have to see what they have done on the 29th.

Radchenister

Veteran
Best of luck to young Matthew but my cynical side is shouting at me that this is likely going to be another case of unbalanced journo nonsense, those compiling the feature have probably chosen young Matt to represent 'cyclists' in general, realising that the sound bites will likely contain some gold dust (gun powder?).

I can foresee a program that provokes debate but doesn't necessarily get to anywhere positive, one where issues are laid out as a reaction provoking / viewer engaging shock jock style feature ... perhaps even portraying the Daily Mail variants of polarised road users (do they actually exist really?) and highlighting the fictitious 'war' going on out there on the roads (which I would propose isn't happening, for most anyway, rather than for a few of the nutty minority).

Let's hope I'm proven wrong.

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
[QUOTE 2692969, member: 1314"]Did you consult with local cycling groups/cyclists before going ahead with this? If not, why not?

Is it cos' none of them will have anything to do with you?

I think you're dissembling.

What if "they" find out about your illegal chavvy motorbiking, as has been pointed out earlier?[/quote]

Oh give it a rest!

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
[QUOTE 2692969, member: 1314"]Did you consult with local cycling groups/cyclists before going ahead with this? If not, why not?

Is it cos' none of them will have anything to do with you?

I think you're dissembling.

What if "they" find out about your illegal chavvy motorbiking, as has been pointed out earlier?[/quote]

I don't believe motorbiking can in most ways be considered chavvy. Unless one was on a moped. Cycling in jeans can be considered more "chavvy"

I will point out that we do not know what questions he has been asked. It could be personal experience questions like how often do you cycle and so on. Would he require permission from cycling groups before he can say what he already knows? They may not even ask anything related to improvement of cycling or anything of that nature. Again we don't know. He could consult a group and add loads of things in but if that's is not want they are going to use the magic of editing thus removing it. From the seems of things they want to cover his "road rage" incident and maybe develop it a bit more into a more general do you have a lot of friction with motorists. To the latter there is still nothing I would consider needing to contact anyone about but your own memory bank.

Who exactly does not want anything to do with him? I know he had a bad time with one particular cycle club but just because just don't get on with a few people does not mean the entire community rejects you.

Last edited:

Radchenister

Veteran
Now you put it like that Cycling Dan, I for one think it's wide open to scrutiny and transparent in selecting a representative to speak on the nation's broadcasting corporation. Come on doubters, you're either with Matthew or you're not, but don't try to deny he is the voice of cycling in the UK; I propose we vote now for upholding Matthew's position in talking to the BBC on behalf of all cyclists - he da man (as they say in US campaigns) ;) !

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
Now you put it like that Cycling Dan, I for one think it's wide open to scrutiny and transparent in selecting a representative to speak on the nation's broadcasting corporation. Come on doubters, you're either with Matthew or you're not, but don't try to deny he is the voice of cycling in the UK; I propose we vote now for upholding Matthew's position in talking to the BBC on behalf of all cyclists - he da man (as they say in US campaigns) ;) !
I'm sure he will have a job offer from British cycling any day now. ;)

Top Bottom