Idiots on bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep, no need for lights on bikes because as we all know vehicle drivers are attentive and fully concentrating at all times. If or when the boy racers comes out to play at night with his mates on the narrow lanes where we live would it be ok to keep our very bright lights? For years I have been labouring under the mistaken notion that they were useful when it got dark. If Cycle Chat had been around 30 years ago I could have saved a fortune.

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
in a nutshell: look out for yourself don't get het up if someone is gambling with their own safety. That is their problem.
Ok, but what do you think other road users think of that cyclist or the horse rider I mentioned? It hardly gives cyclists a good rep does it? He can't even be bothered to try and be seen from distance. Then we'll have Glen waffling on about some injustice when he appears in a "cyclist down" thread. Or a "close pass" thread where he was seen at the last minute because mum was arguing with her kids on the school run etc etc.
Take some responsibility for yourselves.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Well lit cyclists who also wear plenty of hi-viz and reflective kit get hit too*. The main problem is the inattentive driver, eg. the one having an argument with their kids on the school run. If they aint paying attention, they aint gonna look and they aint gonna see.

*probably statistically more than the 'ninja' cyclist.

liambauckham

Über Member
Ok, but what do you think other road users think of that cyclist or the horse rider I mentioned? It hardly gives cyclists a good rep does it? He can't even be bothered to try and be seen from distance. Then we'll have Glen waffling on about some injustice when he appears in a "cyclist down" thread. Or a "close pass" thread where he was seen at the last minute because mum was arguing with her kids on the school run etc etc.
Take some responsibility for yourselves.

Bad road users come in all shapes and sizes. I see a tonne of pedestrians taking their lives into their own hands. Car and lorry drivers not having a clue how to drive. Main thing is keep your eyes peeled and look out for yourself. You will only do yourself stress trying to correct the worlds ills.

vickster

Legendary Member
I doubt anyone truly disagrees that riding in the dark (which it isn't at 8am) without lights isn't foolish. I also drive and would rather not have to look out for cyclists and cars without lights. Dark clothed peds darting into the road can be a hazard too

Unfortunately we live in a highly imperfect world :sad:

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Well lit cyclists who also wear plenty of hi-viz and reflective kit get hit too*. The main problem is the inattentive driver, eg. the one having an argument with their kids on the school run. If they aint paying attention, they aint gonna look and they aint gonna see.

*probably statistically more than the 'ninja' cyclist.
Two cyclists riding in gloomy half light conditions (dusk or dawn) one in black with no lights, one in bright colours with lights on. Which one is "less" likely to get hit?

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Bad road users come in all shapes and sizes. I see a tonne of pedestrians taking their lives into their own hands. Car and lorry drivers not having a clue how to drive. Main thing is keep your eyes peeled and look out for yourself. You will only do yourself stress trying to correct the worlds ills.
Is this your view in other aspects of life too, worry about no.1? What about your kids, your friends etc etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom