Interim CC ride - Bikes & Boats Tendring (NE Essex)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chonker

Veteran
I'll definately not be there, I've been scheduled in work, it's the london to southend sunday anyway so should probably save my legs!

ChrisKH

Guru
Sig SilverPrinter said:
I'll buy a return ticket as its only a few pounds more than single then can decide at the end
also don't really fancy riding last bit on my own although Topcat may ride back.
i didn't think we would be back at manningtree as late as helen thinks,if we have return tickets we could ride part the way back and get on train somewhere, anyway lots of options ,see you tomorrow.

i have baked cake but must do a taste test first to see whether its good enough:biggrin:

Fair do's. MacB said you can ride tomorrow as the cake is coming. :biggrin:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Chonker said:
I'll definately not be there, I've been scheduled in work, it's the london to southend sunday anyway so should probably save my legs!
Might see you on Sunday - I'm in the 9am slot

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Sorry you can't make it, Chonker – I was hoping for a huge brace of Trices. Still, there should be three of us today (if Ben gets up in time!) so that's still a good showing for the locals.

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
It's nice and sunny here too, a few clouds in the sky. Weather forecast suggests no rain at all today, which is rather lovely. Image of the view from my back garden is attached!

It's pretty windy at the moment although this is due to die down a little. It has blown an empty bin across our garden overnight... or perhaps the dog was doing some rooting around.

Max temp late afternoon should be about 21 but I suppose with the wind it will feel cooler. Short-sleeved rather than sleeveless jersey for me!

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Ben didn't get up in time, but hope you had a good one and will doubtless see some of you on the London to Southend tomorrow

OP
OP
Auntie Helen

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Bikes & Beaches.

So today we had a wonderful ride with good company!

I arrived at Manningtree Station at 8:30am but wasn’t the first of us to get there – Cycleman on his Trice had arrived yesterday and wild camped locally. He was tucking into a full breakfast when I got there – I went for the Half Breakfast as usual.

People arrived over the next hour and a half and eventually there were twenty two of us – Auntie Helen, ChrisKH, Cycleman, Delthebike, Fatbloke, Handbag, Ianrauk, Jane, Jo, User10571, Moondog, Naggers, PippaG, Tim Hall, Mrs Hall, Sig Silverprinter, TimO, Topcat1, Uncle James, William, Wowbagger and Mrs Wow. This group included three Trices and two tandems so it gave the locals something to laugh about.

We set off along the river Stour through Mistley, turning southwards to Bradfield Heath and then Wix where we turned east again, enjoying the following wind, through Beaumont-cum-Moze, Thorpe-le-Soken and Walton-on-the-Naze, following the route between the Twizzle river and the Wallet up to the Naze Tower.

The lady at the Naze Tower had, as promised, baked lots of flapjacks for us and we stopped and enjoyed tea and cake/flapjack whilst James tried to fly the kite that I had discovered beside the road yesterday.
3732296963_0244cb73c8.jpg

3732298643_d1660fd212.jpg

3732301087_9423238383.jpg

Cycleman went up the top of the tower to see the view. It was here that Moondog left us to return home.

The strong winds meant that it felt a little cold at times so we were happy to get back on the bikes and head along the seafront at Walton to Frinton-on-Sea, then across the golf course (on some rather rough track) to Clacton where we stopped for lunch and a swim.

3732310045_a305421670.jpg

3733110118_7e24d91291.jpg

3732313841_f484c5c5d3.jpg

The lunch café had a reasonable selection of unhealthy food and the obligatory wobbly tables. Some hardy souls swam (Wowbagger, Tim Hall and PippaG).
3732306759_f023ed1cd1.jpg

Some other hardy souls tested out other peoples’ bikes after lunch, which in one case involved swapping shoes too.

3733123338_84380ca457.jpg

3733129714_7b479b82dc.jpg

James’s Trice sprung a valve leak and he experimented with a fine selection of other people’s pumps to reinflate the tyre. Ianrauk used James’s Trice to race a local lady:

3733082730_73ab5dd566.jpg

I attempted not to have a clipless moment on Ian’s shiny new bike.

3733116850_6fc55bd35f.jpg

From Clacton we pressed on through Jaywick, stopping to fix a puncture for ChrisKH and then, having negotiated a few moments where I’d misaligned the GPS track, we started to work our way inland to St Osyth. From here we headed on quiet country lanes to Great Bentley where we stopped for a welcome pint and a selection of homemade cake (from Sig Silverprinter) and shop-bought flapjacks (from Helen), topped off by HeartAttack from CycleChat’s wonderful chocolate creation that he sent Helen. Yum!

3732333853_10d723cac3.jpg

Four hardy souls gathered up enough enthusiasm to try some cricket on the green

3732340465_c4036a7021.jpg

Time was marching on and we fairly soon decided to press on back toward Manningtree. This part of the route seemed faster, particularly as the evil headwind we’d had on the way to Great Bentley wasn’t quite as bad now we were heading more north.

At Manningtree everyone who wanted to catch the first London train managed to get in, including a lot of bicycles.

3733145490_4ffdca022b.jpg

Mr & Mrs Hall were driving home and Topcat1 stayed for a quick sandwich before catching the next train. James and I were rather amazed to buy a pint of IPA and a pint of orange juice for £3.45 in total – the café living up to its reputation for good value!

We were lucky with the weather as the rain held off and we had a fair bit of sunshine. The wind was fairly strong which meant we had some fun watching a load of people in laser dinghies capsizing. It was great to meet some of you for the first time (Cycleman, Handbag, Moondog, Naggers) and of course good to see several of you again. Thank you for all your company!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
got home just after 9pm, 80 (easy) miles :sad: over all. Though that coastal wind was a bugger. A great ride and great company and great fun and great cake and great chocolate and great flapjacks.... Cheers all

ChrisKH

Guru
As Ian said, great company as always. Thanks Auntie Helen. Wind was deceptively cool and I have my first tan lines this year on my arms and legs. Pity about the fairy visiting but at least I had followed the Gospel according the great talced one which raised a laugh or two. Thanks to the various advice I got during aforesaid repair; this was a virgin repair on this bike so had no idea how to adjust the brake blocks, for example. I hope we're still on your Christmas card list topcat and sorry we left you behind. Thanks to Sig for the spare flapjack on the Harold Wood train and for guiding me back to Upminster. Eventually got home at 8.30 pm having completed exactly 80 something (my computer had a strop at Romford and decided to re-set itself to European standards). I presume it must have been kilometres. Eventually came to on the sofa part way through "Revenge of the Nerds" which is fitting. :ohmy:

handbag

excellent day out. big thanks to Auntie Helen and Uncle James, and to the rest of company for making it such a fun ride. hope to see you all soon :thumbsup:

Top Bottom