Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Only experience I have of regular time in edinburgh was when my ex stayed a street down from edinburgh uni. Liked that part of town, but guess with students rentals will be quite high,

Col5632

Guru
I've got a mate who stays near fountain park and he seems to enjoy it and is only 10 mins away from Haymarket

Brandane

Legendary Member
Where are places to avoid living in edinburgh? Had a quick look at 1 bedroom / studio flats but not sure where I shouldn't be living
It was a long time ago (1978 ish) when I briefly lived in Edinburgh. We had a flat in Gillespie Crescent (Tollcross area) and it was a great area to live. Central for everything, but a quiet street. My brother lived in Warrender Park Road (Bruntsfield area) as a student. I liked that area too.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
@Louch - which part of town is your new work place? You need to strategically place yourself for a nice cycle commute along quiet routes, not too long and not too short, preferably with a nice LBS round the corner ... :thumbsup:

Is it definitely a 1-bed flat you are after, or is there an upper price limit? And are you looking for a traditional style tenement flat (like ours) or something modern? Do you need car parking?

If you are looking for traditional 1-bed flats not too far from the centre, there are whole clusters of them around Easter Road/London Road, similar around Gorgie/Dalry (W of Haymarket) and in Shandon/Fountainbridge.
You may or may not know this - Edinburgh has a big network of old railway cycle routes, which may be handy for rush-hour commuting - @goo_mason OTP pretty much cycles across town on his commute on these ...

Good luck with the flat hunt, just ask if you have any more questions... oh and espc.com should have quite a few flats on their system, if you haven't come across them yet.

T

I too am flat-hunting, albeit with significantly more urgency. @Louch is a thunder stealing git :P

<rant type="exasperated">After a few days of intensive flat hunting, I am now convinced that most letting agents are lazy sods who rest on their laurels because demand outstrips supply to such an extent that they don't have to work for their money. It's their job to try and pair property owners to tenants and yet there are properties listed that have been listed for months, which have either no images or no images of inside the property, the images are terrible, data is inaccurate etc.

How much effort does it take to come up with a well-written accurate description of a property and invest a couple of dozen hours gaining the necessary skills as an amateur photographer, to ensure that you take good, clear, representative photos in good light?

If a property is terrible then it's their job to tell the landlord why no-one is interested in spending £600pcm to live in a hovel to advise them to either do it up or to lower the price. RARRRRR :cursing:
</rant>
In other news, I've just learned that there's a floodlit banked velodrome in Dundee:bicycle:

OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
My search has no great urgency, probably late summer. New office is near fountain bridge, so somewhere I can get there easy would be good. will be my first time living alone, So looking for inexpensive with room for two bikes :smile:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
You could do worse that finding somewhere along the Canal, a bit further west/southwest from Fountainbridge, or somewhere along the cycle path that comes up from Leith/Granton or the Silverknowes path towards Russell Road ... all nice off-road commutes - possibly a bit dark in the winter half of the year though.
Have a look at the ESPC and other websites and come back with street names for places you like in the right price bracket, and between us we should be able to tell you whether it's a dodgy area:stop::ph34r: or not :smile:.

T

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Mrs Scoosh needed to get some scenery, so we took the Nazca and went down to E Lothian and stopped at Longniddry Bents, where I had a quick (avg sp 25.4 kph :ohmy:) 29 km blast around the very quiet backroads of E Lothian, Typically, the wind came in from the SW as I reached my most easterly point ... :angry:

Cracking ride and nice to go a bit quicker - though I have to confess that the steepest parts were the 'hills' as the road went over the railway lines ... :blush:

I should add that Mrs S remained in the car - shoulder still sore and she hadn't taken her drugs. :angry:

Last edited:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Just a quick heads-up for those who missed out on the EdFoC night ride last year (@Louch?)... the tickets will go on sale shortly, via the website. There will be 80 places only.

T

Top Bottom