Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

edindave

Über Member
Did my first Audax of the year today, the Tayside Transgression 300km - Strava link here.
Beautiful route and mostly on roads which were new to me. Glen Lyon is stunning.

This was my last-ditch warm up for the Snow Roads in a fortnight. I had hoped to do a 200k but never managed to fit one in, and I've only done a few rides around or greater than 100mi this year, so I was quite apprehensive about it. It went fine though, helped by a great route, great organisation, and great companionship on the way.

The last 50km was torture. I have no idea what was making my legs turn the pedals, because there was zero energy in my body, but I made it in 14h15m elapsed, 12h03m moving time.

OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
Rain had me showing signs of hypothermia , body shut down, legs closed down. Not a rood race, 2hrs 34 in the end, weather ruined what should have been a good final half. Have quite massive chaffing wounds on inner things as rain washed off cream I had rubbed on

edindave

Über Member
Rain had me showing signs of hypothermia , body shut down, legs closed down. Not a rood race, 2hrs 34 in the end, weather ruined what should have been a good final half. Have quite massive chaffing wounds on inner things as rain washed off cream I had rubbed on

Just don't ask him to post the photo, @Telemark :stop: Facebook has left me mentally scarred! ;) :laugh:

Challenging weather and you did it, so well done. :thumbsup: Now burn those running shoes, you're a cyclist now! :bicycle:

OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
That's my last.would take something special to make me commit to running training again

Yeah the pics are quite awful. Thankfully now a bit appeased after sudocreme applied. Cyclists don't quit :smile:

Last edited:

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
Just don't ask him to post the photo, @Telemark :stop: Facebook has left me mentally scarred! ;) :laugh:
Challenging weather and you did it, so well done. :thumbsup: Now burn those running shoes, you're a cyclist now! :bicycle:

I wasn't going to ask for photos :ohmy:, don't give @Louch any ideas:secret: :rolleyes:

:stop:Wouldn't go quite as far as burning the running shoes, a wee bit of running makes a nice change from cycling occasionally - that's what I normally revert to when it gets freezing cold in winter.and the snow arrives, but not enough for XC skiing :wub: ... except this winter was so mild, I never stopped cycling :smile:.

T

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
:bravo: Chapeau @edindave - nae bother for the SR now. :thumbsup: Daylight finish ? :smile:

Some nice roads you did there - and hopefully, you missed the thunder, lightning and :rain::rain::rain:we had in Embra.

Last edited:

edindave

Über Member
@edindave - that looks like a nice 3-4 day tour :laugh:, stopping off for sightseeing, photos & cake :thumbsup:, (almost) seems like a waste packing it all into 12+ hours ;). Hope you don't have war wounds like @Louch from your adventure!
:bravo:
T

You are right T, I wish I'd stopped in Glen Lyon to take photos. I wished I'd stopped on many occasions. It was like riding through a 3D Colin Prior calendar at times. Absolutely stunning. I envied the wild campers along the sides of the lochs. The smells of their BBQs teased my empty stomach on the last leg along Loch Earn in the evening.

No war wounds thankfully! I even managed a hour's easy spin today before the lunchtime rain. My legs feel surprisingly good!

:bravo: Chapeau @edindave - nae bother for the SR now. :thumbsup: Daylight finish ? :smile:
Some nice roads you did there - and hopefully, you missed the thunder, lightning and :rain::rain::rain:we had in Embra.

Amazing roads, Scoosh, too many to mention and the great thing was that they were all new to me apart, from the Schiehallion descent. The south Tummel road along the loch's shore was memorable, looking back over my right shoulder up to Queen's View, passing wild campers, and thinking how much better it is than the Etape Caldeonia route.

The road from the end of Glen Lyon at Loch Lyon Dam up and over to Glen Lochay was interesting. It is the worst road I've surface ever seen, and my hands were hurting from braking on the descent.

Weather-wise it was a dry, cloudy start and after an hour or so we had broken sunshine, until the early evening. The arm warmers came down a few times. They went up a few times as well. The only rain was when it started spitting around Gleneagles in perhaps the last 20 or 30k.

I took lights based on my 23:30 Snow Roads finish last year, fully expecting to need them, and didn't. That was a surprise. It probably is a much faster 300 having roughly half the elevation of the Snow Roads, but I didn't expect a daylight finish. Not having a proper rest/food stop after Bridge of Balgie (178k) expedited things. On retrospect I should have stopped again somewhere around Comrie, for food and rest. As a result I really struggled for the last 50k. Lesson learned there!

The SR still doesn't appeal to me though, for some reason. I think 300k is the right distance for a ride. Beyond that I think I'd like it to be touring - proper touring that Telemark would approve of. That means I need another bike, naturally :thumbsup:

Top Bottom