Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I'm just being realistic :whistle:
Got about 80 miles to ride tomorrow, BBC weather says sunny, my pal's IApp says rain!
80 miles, are you in training for something? :okay:
Wet or dry, it's going to be breezy. I can hear it already!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
80 miles, are you in training for something?
Nay, that training went out of the window :cry:
We @flyingfifi and I) gonna take the train to Dunblane, ride back to Glasgow via NCN route7, so that on the first day of the tour we know the way to Callander.
We are doing a wee risk assessment, as there will be another 2 Belles with us on the day, as the fearless leader @Fubar won't be with us on the 13th.
Suppose I better go to bed, up at 5.30 tomorrow :sad:

snorri

Legendary Member
Where is it ?? :wacko:
Indeed, the :sun: was burning through my bedroom curtains this morning causing me to creak leap out of bed, rush downstairs and out for a stroll on the beach with naked forearms beside the calm sea, pausing only to note the 25C on the garden thermometer. Just as the heat was becoming unbearable I could see the sea disturbed in the distance as the cooling easterly wind gathered strength towards the shore which it soon reached, but not before I had pulled on a jersey and windproof jacket.
( How was that for a more upbeat report Pat?)

Brandane

Legendary Member
Nay, that training went out of the window :cry:
We @flyingfifi and I) gonna take the train to Dunblane, ride back to Glasgow via NCN route7, so that on the first day of the tour we know the way to Callander.
We are doing a wee risk assessment, as there will be another 2 Belles with us on the day, as the fearless leader @Fubar won't be with us on the 13th.
Suppose I better go to bed, up at 5.30 tomorrow :sad:
I'm going to Aberdeen for work today, so if you are struggling give me a call - I'll be passing the Dunblane roundabout southbound at the end of the A9 about 8pm and there will be plenty of room in the trailer for 2 bikes - as long as they don't take the weight over 44 tonnes (so don't bring Boris!!) ^_^.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I am now in Aberdeen. The wind has been at my back all the way up the A9 & A90.. Poor Pat and Fifi are trying to cycle INTO that. Dunblane to Glasgow, lol, I reckon they'll be around Dundee by now, looking for a train going west!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I am now in Aberdeen. The wind has been at my back all the way up the A9 & A90.. Poor Pat and Fifi are trying to cycle INTO that. Dunblane to Glasgow, lol, I reckon they'll be around Dundee by now, looking for a train going west!
I am going to reply on the tour thread in a few minutes: today was the only day ever since I started cycling 4 years ago that I felt hatred for my bike.
Sustrains wtf! Actually better in capitals: WTF!!!!! :evil: :cursing:
And any mod that edits this out - you know who you are :tongue: is gonna get it too!! ;) ... shame how my angry moods don't last more than a couple of hours, a gallon of coffee and a shower later I'm feeling more mellow, even though every bone in my body is sore :laugh:

I am going to reply on the tour thread in a few minutes: today was the only day ever since I started cycling 4 years ago that I felt hatred for my bike.
And any mod that edits this out - you know who you are :tongue: is gonna get it too!! ;) ... shame how my angry moods don't last more than a couple of hours, a gallon of coffee and a shower later I'm feeling more mellow, even though every bone in my body is sore :laugh:
Let me guess, the section between Callander and Aberfoyle wasn't to your liking
:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

^_^

Brandane

Legendary Member
You have my sympathy when it comes to Sustrans, and kudos to you both for actually sticking with it today. I'm pretty sure I would have thrown the toys out of the pram and headed to the nearest train station.
Sustrans routes are a bit hit and miss from what I have found. The London to Bath route, which I tried to do a few years ago is a complete and utter joke; not fit for purpose. I was slightly peeved to discover this after spending money on the return rail ticket from Largs to London, and ended up bailing out somewhere around Hungerford.
Way of the Roses (Bridlington to Morecambe coast to coast) is mostly good, but why oh why do they insist on taking long detours off road in places where there looks to be perfectly good minor roads? And they take you up stupidly long climbs just for the sake of avoiding a junction that they don't like the look of.

The moral of the story AFAIC is to use Sustrans routes for general guidance, but do not stick rigidly to them.

Col5632

Guru
Well today I decided it was a great idea to cycle into the back of a royal mail hgv, forks on the bike are trashed, although that's what I was told as I haven't seen it since, nothing broken but my neck and shoulders and in a world of pain, helmet has a massive crack in the middle of it too.
Sadly my camera wasn't filming at the time so no footage to show you guys

Top Bottom