Irn-Bru? Scottish Blethering Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Maybe hostelling or renting a campervan or two?

Do East Kilbride Road Club still do social rides? I went out with them a couple of times a few years ago, but the weather was grim and about 2/3rds of the way over Eaglesham Moor they all decided to turn back, but it was easier for me to carry on ahead than go back with them :laugh:

I'm giving thoughts to joining VC Glasgow South as I badly need to start getting training in for LEL next year.

I was keen to do LEL next year too. But the way works gone this year (and seems to be continuing) I'm way down on mileage and not very confident I'd manage to be fit enough - got until the New Year to decide - I'm provisionally booked to be a helper at Brampton.

iandg

Legendary Member
The mist is in and it's midge city out doors. Only opened the door to let the dogs out and got 1/2 a dozen bites - my day off too :cursing:

I was keen to do LEL next year too. But the way works gone this year (and seems to be continuing) I'm way down on mileage and not very confident I'd manage to be fit enough - got until the New Year to decide - I'm provisionally booked to be a helper at Brampton.
A year is a pretty long time to get your stamina up. If you've reserved a spot you could easily build up to it, especially with some of the stunning roads (and appalling headwinds) you've got up there :okay:

I've never audaxed in my life - yours last year was meant to be my first - were it not for a combination of the ferry strike and me having broken myself...

OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
The weather looked great for strathaven 50 today, and I didn't go. Have some new things going on just now, so decided to stay in bed a little longer, and going cycling now instead.....won't get cake as good as I woudk have at sportive tho :sad:

Brandane

Legendary Member
Hope the weather stays good.

The weather looked great for strathaven 50 today, and I didn't go.

I went, so needless to say ..... it rained!
It was dry at the start, then some persistent rain for about an hour, then on/off for a while before drying up. Managed to catch another shower just before the finish too. The westerly wind was a bit of a challenge on the higher up bits, but all in all it was quite a good ride.

The weather looked great for strathaven 50 today, and I didn't go. Have some new things going on just now, so decided to stay in bed a little longer, and going cycling now instead.....won't get cake as good as I woudk have at sportive tho :sad:

A good day was had by all at the RS50. The weather stayed mostly dry but quite breezey. As always the home baking and sandwiches were excellent

OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
My ride nearer home ended 13 miles in after a puncture on multiple bits of glass. Was about a mile rom home so walked home to fully inspect tyre rather than risk a second puncture and muchos swearing and bike throwing. Will try again tomorrow

bruce1530

Guru
The weather looked great for strathaven 50 today,

... so tell me about these sort of events - I’ve never been on an “organised” run before. What sort of numbers competed today, and how hilly is it? Would next year be a “good place to start"

My own trip today - a wee trip up the coast to Largs. Met some very nice Spanish cyclists going the other way - I was going through a roundabout and thought I saw some nails on the road. Stopped to check it out and lift them (it was actually some small bits of fence wire) and the spanish people stopped to check i was OK.

And approaching Largs, I had one of those “wish I had a camera” moments. There’s a busy shared cyclepath going into the town which always has lots of dog walkers, families out for a stroll and refugees from the nursing homes. So you don’t go fast. Lots of “Excuse me.... can I squeeze past you...thank you”.

Coming towards me was a Largs matron, with little Trixiewoo on a long retractable lead. Which she didn’t retract. I’m going slowly, tried a few “excuse me”s, rang the bell, no response. Eventually, I’m practically stopped. She scowled as she passed, waving a little blue bag of dog poo at me “You shouldn’t be on the path”. Which was quite funny because there was a sign with a bike right beside her....

Brandane

Legendary Member
... so tell me about these sort of events - I’ve never been on an “organised” run before. What sort of numbers competed today, and how hilly is it? Would next year be a “good place to start"

My own trip today - a wee trip up the coast to Largs. Met some very nice Spanish cyclists going the other way - I was going through a roundabout and thought I saw some nails on the road. Stopped to check it out and lift them (it was actually some small bits of fence wire) and the spanish people stopped to check i was OK.

And approaching Largs, I had one of those “wish I had a camera” moments. There’s a busy shared cyclepath going into the town which always has lots of dog walkers, families out for a stroll and refugees from the nursing homes. So you don’t go fast. Lots of “Excuse me.... can I squeeze past you...thank you”.

Coming towards me was a Largs matron, with little Trixiewoo on a long retractable lead. Which she didn’t retract. I’m going slowly, tried a few “excuse me”s, rang the bell, no response. Eventually, I’m practically stopped. She scowled as she passed, waving a little blue bag of dog poo at me “You shouldn’t be on the path”. Which was quite funny because there was a sign with a bike right beside her....
Here's my Strava link for today's Round Stra'ven 50, which will give you an idea of the climbs involved. They're not too drastic.
I'm not a big fan of organised rides generally, but I quite like this one. It's reasonable at £20 entry fee, whereas some of the other organised events have got a tad greedy and like to empty your wallet for the privilege of riding on public roads.
For more info on the RS50, here's the link. You just decide whether you want to ride it, then sign up. It's restricted to 500, but I signed up quite late this year and had no problem.
Re Largs cycle path, I hope you pointed the sign out to the old bat. I live in the place and have had a few similar incidents. Do they really think that all that money was spent to widen and tarmac the path, just so that they and little Fido don't get grass on their shoes/paws?

bruce1530

Guru
Here's my Strava link for today's Round Stra'ven 50, which will give you an idea of the climbs involved. They're not too drastic.
looks not too bad - some climbs that I would regard as steep - but they seem to be gettinging a little easier :-)

Re Largs cycle path, I hope you pointed the sign out to the old bat. I live in the place and have had a few similar incidents. Do they really think that all that money was spent to widen and tarmac the path, just so that they and little Fido don't get grass on their shoes/paws?
I did. She looked at me as if I was something that little Fido had done, and stormed off in a haze of Lily-of-the-valley...

One nice thing about Largs today - watched the Waverley come in. Then charmed my way into the Calmac kitchen on the pier to fill my water bottle...

bruce1530

Guru
I’m rubbish at judging from Strava maps just how difficult a run is. In terms of steepness etc, how does it compare with say the road from Largs up to Loch Thom, or the Fairlie Moor road? I’m guessing the steepest bit of the Str’aven run is about the same as the climb up to Loch Thom?

Brandane

Legendary Member
I’m rubbish at judging from Strava maps just how difficult a run is. In terms of steepness etc, how does it compare with say the road from Largs up to Loch Thom, or the Fairlie Moor road? I’m guessing the steepest bit of the Str’aven run is about the same as the climb up to Loch Thom?
Nowhere near as steep, or as long, as Fairlie Moor. The longest climb on RS50 is the one out of Millheugh, near Larkhall, and is probably comparable to Brisbane Glen (the Loch Thom route from Largs). Only the first two miles or so is difficult though, as it levels out a bit towards the peak - and there is a feed station at the top (Glassford) as a reward!

OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
There is one stiff climb on the rs50, but more so as its a 90 degree turn after a few miles descent. Seen someone shear off their rear mech on it after being caught out, second year I took a right " to take pics of the river" , then that gave me chance to change down gears.

And if it gets too hard, get off and walk. Everyone of us here has done it at some point or other. no shame in it.

bruce1530

Guru
I’ve done the brisbane glen road a few times - was OK and even tacked the fairlie moor twice. Got to the top eventually :-)

Just building up my mileage now - last year, 20 miles was a longish trip for me. Now, 30 is normal, but I don’t think I’ve done further than about 45. But we’re getting there...

Top Bottom