Is it snobby to snub Aldi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Aldi stuff is reasonably priced, and works. If people want to get all 'Kit knobberish' that's up to them. A fool and their money are easily parted, this is very apparent in the world of knobber cyclists.

The trouble is their stuff lasts too long. I bought a load about 7 years ago when all mine disintegrated at once (There may have been some expansion going on as well but we won't mention that). Some of it didn't work but the rest turned out to be adequate if sometimes odd fitting. Now that their prices have gone up I no longer find it attractive plus I'm still trying to wear the original stuff out! So I won't be buying any more clothes but I'll examine other bits carefully as it is often re-badged stuff from other makers. Lights and things tend to fall into this category.

Last edited:

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I think the kit looks really nice and it does last too. I for one will be stopping by.

U

User6179

Aldi stuff is reasonably priced, and works. If people want to get all 'Kit knobberish' that's up to them. A fool and their money are easily parted, this is very apparent in the world of knobber cyclists.

Go on the website and look at their stuff , not as cheap as it used to be , if you shop around you can get better for cheaper .

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I bought a cycling top a few years ago... it was so badly fitted that it went directly into the charity shop bag. I've bought their gloves too... not impressed when the liner comes out with my hand. I had a look at the padded underwear in the last event but the 'padding' wasn't up to much. I can get better padded undies for less on Ebay. I'm not one for cycle specific clothing and have enough lights and lube and tools, so i don't really bother looking at what 'specials' are coming up these days. Aldi is for food, and booze.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Its like everthing in Aldi and not just promotions, they do some really good stuff and some rubbish. I'm not fussed with anything from this promotion. Bought a windproof top a couple of years ago when it was reduced to less than half price and its been great for the cost.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I bought a CO2 inflator and cartridges really cheap a while ago. So I could be one of the cool cats with a CO2 inflator. But I've never used it. It's done a lot of miles in my saddlebag though.

e-rider

crappy member
for anyone on a tight budget many of the items look okay (not sure about the shorts and tights though) and would certainly be better than 'shorts and T-shirt cycling'. For those with deeper pockets I'd look at the more well known 'cheaper' brands in the cycling world such as Endura, Altura, Lusso etc. And of course, those with plenty of spare cash wouldn't dream of going anywhere near Aldi (i.e. Rapha, Assos, Castelli........wearers).

It's very sad when people with plenty of money are so quick to laugh at those with little for buying from Aldi - perhaps everyone should just enjoy cycling and not pass judgement on what brands people wear.

I personally have a cycling wardrobe made up of 'mid-range kit' so I'm very lucky. I don't buy Aldi kit but if I had less money I would certainly consider it.

Last edited:

e-rider

crappy member
[QUOTE 4486009, member: 259"]I wear Assos shorts and gloves and I often go to Aldi to buy beer![/QUOTE]
...wouldn't go near Aldi for their cycling kit

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
for anyone on a tight budget many of the items look okay (not sure about the shorts and tights though) and would certainly be better than 'shorts and T-shirt cycling'. For those with deeper pockets I'd look at the more well known 'cheaper' brands in the cycling world such as Endura, Altura, Lusso etc. And of course, those with plenty of spare cash wouldn't dream of going anywhere near Aldi (i.e. Rapha, Assos, Castelli........wearers).

It's very sad when people with plenty of money are so quick to laugh at those with little for buying from Aldi - perhaps everyone should just enjoy cycling and not pass judgement on what brands people wear.

I personally have a cycling wardrobe made up of 'mid-range kit' so I'm very lucky. I don't buy Aldi kit but if I had less money I would certainly consider it.
Seriously, some of the stuff is better than "OK". For my purposes I can't see how my long sleeved winter jerseys could be improved on, regardless of cost. Maybe a slightly better pocket. I don't particularly like the look of the tools though, they look a bit disposable.

Top Bottom