Is it snobby to snub Aldi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RobinS

Veteran
We do our grocery shopping at Aldi, so always have a look at what is around, and often wait until it is being sold off at half price. Of the stuff we have bought:

Good - Workstand, toolkit (reduced down to £6.99), socks, long sleeved mens top.
OK - Ladies short sleeved tops, mens bib shorts (very comfortable, but lycra started to fail after about 60 (full touring) days use)
Poor - Ladies waterproof/breathable jacket (completely non-breathable, got a Dare 2 Be for the same cost, and three times better)

I have two pairs of padded trousers. One has three miles on the clock, 1 wash; and the other is still in the wrapper.
Now three years old and no sign of wear. :okay:

Paul G

There was nothing wrong with them, other than a low waist. When wearing them I suffered from builders bum syndrome.

I was terrified that if I stopped, someone would come along and park their bike. :eek:

Last edited:

PK99

Legendary Member
I bought a CO2 inflator and cartridges really cheap a while ago. So I could be one of the cool cats with a CO2 inflator. But I've never used it. It's done a lot of miles in my saddlebag though.

There will come a day when she-who-must-not-be-named pays a visit on a cold wet and dark evening and you get a slow puncture and will be very glad of your get-me-home inflater

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Buy cheap, buy twice

I've never understood this. If I buy a pair of Aldi gloves for £10 and they last half as long as one pair that would cost me £30 I'm quids in. Sounds to me like another attempt to rationalise spending more than necessary on stuff to me

Take a look at the Aldi range. Some rubbish but equally some stuff that is excellent value. Why dismiss the excellent value stuff because it's cheap?

tobykenobi

Über Member
I have a good cold weather jersey/jacket that is going strong after a few years.

I'll pop in on Thursday morning to see if I can get a Garmin. Always wanted one but never able to justify the price. I bet they'll all be sold out and I'll walk out with a can of GT-85 or something....

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Tat. The phrase "You get what you pay for" springs to mind
Some good some bad. Used to be much better, and really good value. Generally, yes, it is snobby to snub Aldi, or Lidl for that matter. For a month or so we had no choice but to shop online, and get deliveries from JS. Rough estimate that the weekly bill was 40% more than our usual, and quality not 40% better. For example - is Long Life skimmed milk at 69p a litre carton, better than the same at 49p? I don't believe you 'get what you pay' for any more. I just bought a Sigma computer from Rose - on offer at £25 ish, the same model £32 from Ribble, £40 from Decathlon - which one of those is the best - the £40 one?

Katherine

Guru
Plus one for the waterproof socks. I got some last year so I'll be getting a spare pair. They really did help to keep my feet warm and dry. Took quite a long time to dry after washing. I had to dry the inside and then the outside.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Most of Aldi's cycling specials have been much poorer value than Lidl's for a while now. I'm also grumpy that I can no longer get decent Black Forest ham, Quark and other German food reliably in either shop!

Kernow Cyclista

I had a pair of padded tights from them, very stiff pad felt like I was riding a washboard. I EBay'd them. Hubby got a winter long sleeve jersey, it's a bit short but he is content to use it for his commute.

gbb

Legendary Member
50/50.
I brought some winter longs once...too short legged.
Some of their stuff just looks as though it's cheaply designed, made well no doubt but not much effort in the design itself.
Padded mitts...not impressed.
Winter gloves..not impressed.
Brought some cheap lights once, ones to be seen..they were fine for the money.
Got some cheap padded shorts earlier this year...a bit too much elastic on the thighs but for the money, spot on.

50/50. I'd have a look, pick and choose.

kiriyama

Iv got a windproof softshell winter jacket jobby from Aldi. It's a bit of a crap fit but I can't fault it's performance. .. The socks on the other hand fell to bits after 2 outings.

Top Bottom