Is McDonald's under-rated as a bike stop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
They are fine IMO, even though I don't eat meat. I use them mainly when it's raining and I need somewhere to hole up for while whilst spending very little. I genuinely like their coffee, the wi-fi is a bonus.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You mean the pedestrianised part? :whistle:
Yes the pedestrianised part that has a CYCLEPATH clearly marked and signposted through it (the clue is the destinations in white on a blue background with a little picture of a bike on them as I once pointed out to a PCSO who shouted "Get off that bike" whilst his oppo ,a real Copper, stood grinning and shaking his head)

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Yes the pedestrianised part that has a CYCLEPATH clearly marked and signposted through it (the clue is the destinations in white on a blue background with a little picture of a bike on them as I once pointed out to a PCSO who shouted "Get off that bike" whilst his oppo ,a real Copper, stood grinning and shaking his head)

I can honestly say I've never noticed the cyclepath when I've ridden through town.

Nibor

Bewildered
A north west group did the Manchester to Blackpool night ride and they refused to open their doors for 50 odd cyclists in the middle of the night and would not serve them through the drive through window.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A north west group did the Manchester to Blackpool night ride and they refused to open their doors for 50 odd cyclists in the middle of the night and would not serve them through the drive through window.
Is Wimpy the only chain to serve cyclists at the drive through window? Not many of them left, though.

Ajay

Veteran
I did the Raid Alpine last month and had a couple of pit stops chez McDo, absolute godsend. A large, full fat, air conditioned coke with fillet o fish was just what I needed in Briançon before getting stuck into the Izoard^_^

mjr

They are not wrong.
Latte is hot frothed milk. (Flat white for just hot). Is Americano with cold milk just a café au lait?

Also, arguing with your customers over this is being a bit of a dick.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4514129, member: 45"]They blimmin' are. Americano is one shot with hot water to fill, and milk to taste. Latte is one shot into a cup of heated milk.[/QUOTE]

I'm not keen on hot milk and have had similar to and fro discussions when trying to order coffee.

"Black with cold milk" usually gets the point across.

I sometimes have 'white coffee' in McDonald's for simplicity - the little cold milk sachets in some outlets are a fiddle to open, although they are proper milk.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I wouldn't avoid a McDonalds but most of my rides that warrant a stop are out in the sticks and away from the usual McDonalds locations.

^^^^ Mainly this.

However, I have stopped at one for the reasons given - they're always open, they have (usually) clean, functioning toilets, free wi-fi and you can get something to eat / drink - in that order. :rolleyes:

I've also whiled away an hour or two in BK waiting for my bike sorting in the nearby Halfords. Not great, but a chicken burger and vanilla shake contains the essentials for cycling and they also have free wi-fi and toilets.

Can't say that I'd plan a ride round either of them, but they're adequate when called upon.

I'm lovin' the conundrum of not opening the doors at certain hours over night AND not serving anyone other than motorists at the drive through.
"Can I come in?"
"No, we can't unlock the doors at this time of night - it's health and safety"
"OK, I'll go to the drive thru"
"Can't serve you there, it's health and safety"
:laugh::rolleyes::wacko:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
^^^^ Mainly this.

However, I have stopped at one for the reasons given - they're always open, they have (usually) clean, functioning toilets, free wi-fi and you can get something to eat / drink - in that order. :rolleyes:

I've also whiled away an hour or two in BK waiting for my bike sorting in the nearby Halfords. Not great, but a chicken burger and vanilla shake contains the essentials for cycling and they also have free wi-fi and toilets.

Can't say that I'd plan a ride round either of them, but they're adequate when called upon.

I'm lovin' the conundrum of not opening the doors at certain hours over night AND not serving anyone other than motorists at the drive through.
"Can I come in?"
"No, we can't unlock the doors at this time of night - it's health and safety"
"OK, I'll go to the drive thru"
"Can't serve you there, it's health and safety"
:laugh::rolleyes::wacko:

I've never tried to use the drive-thru on my bike, but have read it's frowned upon.

I'm no health and safety zealot, but I can understand McDonald's not wanting bikes mixing with the motor traffic in the narrow drive-thru lane.

mjr

I've never tried to use the drive-thru on my bike, but have read it's frowned upon.

I'm no health and safety zealot, but I can understand McDonald's not wanting bikes mixing with the motor traffic in the narrow drive-thru lane.
Understand it because otherwise bikes never have to mix with motor traffic in narrow lanes? :crazy:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It seems it's only McDonalds UK that isn't lovin' bikes: http://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/mcdonald-s-wants-you-bike-through-drive-thru

And I'll leave you with this image...
McHorse.JPG

:laugh:

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I recall the McBike box being mentioned on here a while ago.

I've never seen one, and the no bikes in the drive-thru policy is only what I've heard.

Might be worth an ask next time to get a definitive answer.

Top Bottom