Is McDonald's under-rated as a bike stop?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to work with a health centre giving advice for student travellers

The "big" companies have an advantage in that they are "overseen" and have an audited standard
For instance Pepsi or Coke(defizzed) was a better option than something like Dioralyte that required local water in the case of diarrhoea

Equally McDonalds et al have a required standard

Not to suggest that local fayre is not part of the travelling experience, but sometimes Canberra beneficial

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On a long ride and they are the only thing open or near by. They are a godsend. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Even to those that are traipsing in at all hours in wet cycle gear. The coffee is good and they do serve some decent food. (Can do without the burgers). The shop fronts are usually big glass fronted so very easy to keep an eye on your bikes.

U

User482

They're purely a last resort for me. The coffee is just about drinkable, and I can't think of any food they serve that I find in the slightest bit appetising. Though in fairness, the toilets are top notch.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When we went out on the club rides(WHEN 'cause i haven't been out for 2 months)i'd suggest a chip shop or McDonalds etc for our lunch break. The others would always dismiss my suggestion saying we had to visit a cafe as it's a cafe, not a burger stop.:rolleyes: So off we went to some little "tea rooms" or "Granny's farmhouse" thingy, spending twice as much as we would've done if some weren't so snobby about where they ate!:dry:

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Understand it because otherwise bikes never have to mix with motor traffic in narrow lanes? :crazy:

I think it is because McD recognise that if a collision happened between a vehicle and a bicycle in its drive through lane they may well have some liability

I don't go in them on bike rides, but only because I'm usually in the countryside. I tried their porridge recently, it was good, and the coffee is at least as good as any high street coffee chain. If I was on some urban ride then I think they would be a good option

Leaving aside the food for a moment
Which is what I tend to do with it.

(I've used a McDonalds as a 3am stop on an Audax. They looked at me sideways when I wheeled my bike in, but I think decided it wasn't worth making a fuss about. Food was .. as expected. Edible, and honestly the chips are good - I prefer thicker, but they are a good example of skinny "fries". Much better than a starbucks under similar circumstances when I paid more for a grilled cheese sandwich and an undrinkable coffee).

Slick

Guru
I would rather chew my own arm off than eat any of that gunk. On the whole, our food chain is pretty dysfunctional, and this place is right at the top of the pile when it comes to reasons why.

midlife

Guru
I would rather chew my own arm off than eat any of that gunk. On the whole, our food chain is pretty dysfunctional, and this place is right at the top of the pile when it comes to reasons why.

Maybe that accolade goes to a turkey twizzler :smile:

Shaun

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So off we went to some little "tea rooms" or "Granny's farmhouse" thingy, spending twice as much as we would've done if some weren't so snobby about where they ate!:dry:
Probably getting twice as much twice as digestible twice as good food - it ain't snobbery when the chosen thing is better than Mucky D!

On the rare occasions where our group either can't agree (happened once in the last four years) or exceed the capacity of the lunch stop (twice), we've just agreed the restart time and place.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It has warmth
Toilets
Free WiFi
Electric points
Hot and cold water
Food
A never ending supply of fizzy drinks

In Denmark they are almost always spotlessly clean. Same with Burger King to which I prefer.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Or a doner kebab, seemingly made of 'meat' of unknown parentage

During my now far off heavy drinking days in London there was nothing better than a kebab on the way home.

As a nod to health, I used to ask for well-done meat, so at least whatever it was I was eating was not dripping in fat.

To be fair, the grilled cubes of meat (shish?) on the skewers were genuinely tasty.

Top Bottom