Is SC&P worth it?

Is it worth it

• yes

• no

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Code:
isnit worth it
I don't understand the question :blush:
What I don't understand is that I'd changed it a few minutes before you posted that unless you sat on it whilst you read the rest of the thread! You even made me go back and check I had changed it!:laugh:

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I'm just in changing the title of the poll @jonny jeez, I hope I changed it correctly.

I don't take part in the discussions as they are sometimes a little high brow for me, or I don't hold strong views on politics for example. But I do pop in and read some threads, which has changed the way I think on some subjects or at least opened my eyes to alternative view points.

I'd keep SCP, even though it does require a bit of modding. I don't think it's as bad as some make out. Now give me an easy life for the next few days:biggrin:
Perfect. Ta very much

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Interesting. Do you feel the issues around it stem with the website or you?
I feel they stem from its contributors.

Happy to be personally introspective but the comments in this thread alone suggest that no one person can make the required change.

Unless that one person is Sean....and the section meets its demise.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member

I feel they stem from its contributors.

Happy to be personally introspective but the comments in this thread alone suggest that no one person can make the required change.

Unless that one person is Sean....and the section meets its demise.
I agree the contributors create the forum but how it affects your life is down to you.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I agree the contributors create the forum but how it affects your life is down to you.
I agree and extend that view far beyond sc&p. Believe it or not, commuting had a huge impact on my life, fitness, goals and achievements.

Now that really is something!

My point. (and yours it seems) is that we need more contributors.

How do we attract that with the section manifesting the way it does.

Is it worth the space on the board, does it achieve anything anymore, is it worth the admin resource.

I have learnt a great deal from the section in the past but often, it seems at some cost. However, more recently it feels as if the patterns of the section are repeating more frequently and that less is actually being discussed..or learnt.

New posters are frightened off, leaving the same members (me included) repeating the same views, to the same audience...with inevitable results.

The pattern that I see more often now is along the lines of.

Op, posts a question or view
Responces are given, some of which are provocative, some not and some just down right rude.
Posters assume a position and refuse to budge an inch for fear of looking as if they have made a mistake, are misinformed or made to look daft.
This repeats for a while untill tempers flare and the thread is locked...or removed.

So what has that achieved. More importantly, to those just gaining sufficient privileges to see the section for the first time...how does it make the site look.

The pattern above is now becoming so common that threads sometimes become locked within the first few pages of discussion, often with insults flying in the very first reply.

Claims that the thread attracts passionate discussion from intelligent folk , seem hollow to me because if we have true passion and intellect, surely we would also have the capacity to see the futility of allowing that pattern to continue.

I believe that enemy's are made in one topic...that the blinkers then come down and the myopia is carried across through other threads, I also wonder if the increased aggression and level of insults is ever used to deliberately close a thread to remove an opinion, topic or mistake.

I want sc&p to work but to do so it needs to attract far more varied input, from a more varied membership

So is it all worth it to you?
No, it's the same on just about any subject specific Forum, on the interweb. It's a magnet for shouty trolls, who are not interested in the specific subject of the Forum / site, but have an opinion on just about anything else, and don't mind letting anyone they ( wrongly ) believe, gives a hoot ( shoutily and with insults ). I may have just invented a new adverb for the manner in which web trolls express their opinion.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Most certainy yes is my vote. I do read the forum quite a bit and have learnt lots because the experiences of the CC members is so wide but, MOD HAT OFF it always saddens me to see grown adults squabble like kids. I usually get bored by that point and switch off. I am all for healthy and sometimes passionate debate but sniping, insults and bullying i can get elsewhere and get paid for dealing with it. So not in my free time please.

MOD HAT ON
Keep it clean, you all have opinions which everyone is entitled to just disagree with each other respectfully and intelligently please.:surrender:

outlash

also available in orange
No, it's the same on just about any subject specific Forum, on the interweb. It's a magnet for shouty trolls, who are not interested in the specific subject of the Forum / site, but have an opinion on just about anything else, and don't mind letting anyone they ( wrongly ) believe, gives a hoot ( shoutily and with insults ). I may have just invented a new adverb for the manner in which web trolls express their opinion.

So by calling these 'shouty trolls' childish names is constructive is it? Or aren't you interested in what others think, only giving your opinion?

Personally, I rarely venture in there because by & large I'm not interested in the subjects. But I know it takes a lot of work for the mod team, I used to be part of a mod team on a forum years ago and the politics board was known as the badlands before it eventually got closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom