Knighthood for Chris Froome?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Even if he was/is Kenyan, it's a Commonwealth country innit? I agree with @User43827 though, sportspeople shouldn't get an award for just winning, they should need to do something a bit extra.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
British Empire Medal. Or is it the Bicycling Empire Medal, I can't remember.

"Because he can't disprove a negative, I think he's on drugs because he obviously doesn't train anywhere enough in my opinion"

- PhilDawson8270

I think that all the top athletes across all sports, are on as many performance enhancing drugs of some kind, that they can within the rules/without being caught. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3821333, member: 43827"]I don't believe that any sports star should get a knighthood at all, for running or riding faster than others, or kicking a ball more accurately, or if they do it should not be until they have retired from the sport that has enriched them, and put a lot more back into the sport. They get enough recognition via their awards and salaries.

Most top sports stars are selfish, single-minded people during their sports careers (no problem with that - it's part of what makes them champions). Let's first see what they do with their success.[/QUOTE]
Surely that also rules out leaders of commerce, entertainment stars, scientists , soldiers and anyone who hasn't had to fight for their position. Being selfish and single minded seems to be a prerequisite.

All that leaves is charity workers and national hero's (life savers etc)

J

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I think that all the top athletes across all sports, are on as many performance enhancing drugs of some kind, that they can within the rules/without being caught. It doesn't make sense otherwise.
That is a very sad view. It doesn't appear on your horizon that the minority are doped, the majority have morals and are clean. Sad, sad, sad.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
[QUOTE 3821273, member: 259"]Try telling my kids - who were born and raised in Belgium - that they are not British. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Dear Mort's kids

You are Belgian!!

Yours etc
Mad Doug Biker

There!

...... Were they reading?

"I'm British... The win is 100% British."

- Chris Froome

"I do not take performance-enhancing drugs."

- Lance Armstrong

Why did I see the connection with 100% British Beef and Lance's comment??

Oh, yeah! :giggle:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
But Mort, you were, I presume, born here and raised here ?

He has nothing at all to do with the UK - he is Kenyan and should be proud of that fact !

Look matey, I am English born and bred apart from when the West Indies are doing well in cricket then I'm Jamaican or when Scotland are doing well in the World Cup then I'm Scottish or when Portugal are doing well then I'm Portuguese but most of the time I'm a WASP.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
They're not given out as awards for personal achievement, it would be for 'services to cycling', for example look what happened to bike sales when Wiggo won.
Yes but disappointingly its more like services to cycle retailers who flogged a lot of bikes that have barely ever left the shed since.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Look matey, I am English born and bred apart from when the West Indies are doing well in cricket then I'm Jamaican or when Scotland are doing well in the World Cup then I'm Scottish or when Portugal are doing well then I'm Portuguese but most of the time I'm a WASP.
....reaches for fly swatter....

howard2107

Its a fantastic achievement, but may members of our forces have done far more to warrant getting honoured. Knighthoods are given out far too easy in my opinion, and not always to the most worthy. That said he has made a massive contribution to british sport and i would not take any credit away from him for that, but a knighthood, no.

Top Bottom