FNRttC Manchester-Morecambe FNRttC 16th October 2015.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wanda2010

Guru
Hmm. Those hills. Somebody bring a tow-rope for me. I also vote for 'spoons but am flexible.

*makes a note to charge all batteries and dig out all/every woolly clothes in storage*

Well done bruv and Martin.

U

User482

It's very difficult to predict the temperature at this time of year: it was 4 degrees first thing Sunday morning, at the same time on Monday it was 16. Layers are the key, I suspect.

A couple of things I would add.
It was cold, very cold! It may be better if there was some cloud cover, as the night we did the ride was clear and although it was nice to see the stars, it made it blooming cold! I ended up with a long sleeve base layer, short sleeve top, long sleeve top, my emergency rain jacket and a gilet. I took 3 pairs of gloves and ended up using my winter gloves! I was wearing a pair of bib longs with bib shorts under. I also wore 2 pairs of socks, my winter boots and over shoes. I thought that would be a bit of over kill, but it turned out to be the right decision for that night. In the day I was a bit over dressed as the temperature got upto 7 degrees, but I took a few layers off and stored them in my pockets.
The bulk of the climbing is in the first half of the ride and the people coming from the South may find it a bit different to what they are used to (I am originally from Surrey and had a bit if a shock at the amount of hills, the steepness and the length of them when I moved up here!) There is nothing steep, but the drag from Manchester all the way to Blackburn is pretty much all uphill for 22miles. Saying that, if you ride them at a pace you are comfortable with it should not be a problem.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
The bulk of the climbing is in the first half of the ride and the people coming from the South may find it a bit different to what they are used to (I am originally from Surrey and had a bit if a shock at the amount of hills, the steepness and the length of them when I moved up here!) There is nothing steep, but the drag from Manchester all the way to Blackburn is pretty much all uphill for 22miles. Saying that, if you ride them at a pace you are comfortable with it should not be a problem.
Not anticipating a shock. Hard work for sure, but nothing I'm not used to. Three laps of the IOW this year alone (5,000ft of climbing in 65 miles), for a start...and round here it's pretty much all rolling.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Another list:-
Adam B
Andrew Br
Adrian C
Charlie B
Eddie C
Gordon P
John S
Katie S
Kim W
Marcus C
Mary L
Mick D
Pete L
Rebecca O
Sonia W
Steve McG
Stu A
Tacey L
Yoav

There is one more rider to add when I get his contact info and 2 "maybes" plus it's not too late to sign up :cheers:.

U

User482

Another list:-
Adam B
Andrew Br
Adrian C
Charlie B
Eddie C
Gordon P
John S
Katie S
Kim W
Marcus C
Mary L
Mick D
Pete L
Rebecca O
Sonia W
Steve McG
Stu A
Tacey L
Yoav

There is one more rider to add when I get his contact info and 2 "maybes" plus it's not too late to sign up :cheers:.
Oi!

U

User482

Sorry User482, I thought that you weren't coming (based on you offering your train ticket up-thread).
Excellent news if you're still on for it :wahhey:.

A new list will appear later.
No, just a change of travel plans and some non refundable tickets. Looking forward to it.

kimble

Veteran
My asthma makes me a liability (especially on hilly rides) if the air temperature drops below about 5C, so if it looks like it's going to be that cold, I won't be coming. Rain, on the other hand, is an integral part of the experience with this one...

Wobblers

Euthermic
I miss hills... so I may just have to join you. Especially as this week's beam time at ISIS [1] means I'll get that Friday off. Well, unless it's raining (as a veteran of the 2012 Friday Night Swim to Morecambe, I have nothing to prove!). No idea on how I'll get back, I've got this cunning (or mad) scheme about riding back to Ormskirk afterwards....

<Goes off to inspect maps>

Edit: put me down as a probable :smile:

[1] I wonder who'll bite...

Top Bottom