England : Derbyshire Peak District incl Holme Moss Saturday May 30: 0900 start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I'll just sit in the pub in my cycling gear looking awesome*

*Assuming your definition of awesome includes some or all of the following - fat/sweaty/knackered........

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The frustrations of organising forum rides. Getting people to actually turn up can be like trying to shovel water uphill!
Tell me about it! :sad:

I will be discussing that subject at length with every single one of the other CycleChatters on my forum ride tomorrow. When HE gets fed up with it, I'll start talking about the scenery instead! :laugh:

At least it looks like both rides will take place in dry conditions, some sunshine, and tolerable levels of wind.

Have fun! :hello:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Up and about fettling the bike and brewing some coffee

Rained a lot in the night but dry now and forecast dry all day. Still heavy cloud on the tops so come prepared for poor visibility, at least on Holme Moss

See you soon guys!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Enjoy folks. I'm currently in N Wales. Out for a potter with family later. Most likely with a pub stop or two. Not sure beers and a top end rare road bike are a great idea..

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Epic day in the saddle....and the pub

0900 meet up at Glossop train station. @doughnut @I like Skol @BRounsley . Going to meet up with @Kestevan in Holmfirth after Holme Moss (he claims to live in Holmfirth but I suspect he lives in Glossop and told us this to avoid having to climb Holme Moss with us).
As soon as we hit Holme Moss Brian and Skol shot off leaving the more tactically astute Doughnut and me to conserve out energy with a rather slower ascent. Super fast descent into Holmfirth when we found that whilst Brian is probably the only person in the world faster up Holme Moss than down it. Picked up Kestevan in Holmfirth and then a nice climb and descent took us to our first café stop at Langsett (at which point Doughnut started asking if we were half way yet. "Yes of course we are". We'd actually done 24 out of 66 miles)
Here we are. As you can see, the weather was really kind. Sunny, not too hot. Bit of a breeze but not so much as to be a battle
20150530_110459 (2).jpg

The Strines are next, up and down all the time but we all managed it (some faster than others it has to be said). Stop off in Hathersage for ice cream. Then the long grindy climb up to the Abney gliding club where we got to see them landing (looks very dangerous) and taking off (looks impossible based on laws of physics). The participants needed whipping hard to get them back on the bikes at that point. Sitting behind a dry stone wall out of the breeze in the sunshine was very pleasant

Run down(ish) to Tideswell where Brian claimed he planned to go home and get changed, strangely enough missing the last two hard climbs of the day. Another café stop with excellent Bakewell tart. A couple of small digs.....ok, hard digs and then the last two proper climbs. By which time we were all royally knackered. Fast descent into Glossop and then the pub

Great ride with excellent company. A challenge of course but a real sense of achievement for all. Very kind weather. Good café stops and, although I do say it myself, a good route

66 miles with 6.900ft of climbing

Look who we found at the pub @MossCommuter

20150530_220936.jpg

We then proceeded to have a fairly epic session in the pub. I left when it was dark. Can't remember the time. Skol had to cycle 8 miles home, I barely manage the half mile I had to do without falling off. Here are the culprits

20150530_170942.jpg

............and I almost forgot. Moss told us that Robinsons to quite a fancy brewery tour. Food and quite a beer session can be organised. There is serious talk of a nice CC ride (nothing like this, flat stuff in Cheshire) followed by said tour and session

Last edited:

doughnut

Veteran
Great route, great weather and above all great company - thanks everyone. Without a doubt, that's the toughest cycling I've done by quite a margin - those last 10 miles really took it out of me but I just had to punch the air and surprise all the shoppers as I rode down the main street in Glossop to the pub. Thanks for waiting at the top each time while I plodded up - hope you weren't waiting too long.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Ouch my head! I'm afraid to say I made a complete arse of myself after leaving the pub. Wobbled past about a dozen shops before the reality of my inebriation hit home and I knew the only option was to collapse in a heap on the floor and call for help. Lady Skol came to the rescue with kids in tow and scraped me up off the pavement where I was being looked after by some wonderful volunteer patrollers. I could barely stand and it was more luck than judgement that I had sat down where I did rather than falling down.
I am now in the dog house and very disappointed with myself :sad:

Apart from spoiling it at the end it was otherwise a perfect day.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Ouch my head! I'm afraid to say I made a complete arse of myself after leaving the pub. Wobbled past about a dozen shops before the reality of my inebriation hit home and I knew the only option was to collapse in a heap on the floor and call for help. Lady Skol came to the rescue with kids in tow and scraped me up off the pavement where I was being looked after by some wonderful volunteer patrollers. I could barely stand and it was more luck than judgement that I had sat down where I did rather than falling down.

SImple maths.....I was drinking (mainly) Dizzy Blond - abv 3.8% You were drinking Blue Moon abv 5.4%

At least you got home safely. Let's hope Mrs Skol's forgotten about this episode before the next CC ride

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

SImple maths.....I was drinking (mainly) Dizzy Blond - abv 3.8% You were drinking Blue Moon abv 5.4%

At least you got home safely. Let's hope Mrs Skol's forgotten about this episode before the next CC ride
I remember asking @I like Skol once why he liked Skol, and he replied that it was because it is so weak that he can drink it all night without getting falling over drunk ... :whistle::laugh: I'm glad that no serious harm was done! And that the ride went so well.

I only tried drinking beer once on a ride. I had one pint and then headed for home. Unfortunately, that was straight onto a 20% descent with 2 hairpin bends on the way down. I completely misjudged the first bend and almost ended up in a ditch! I gave up drink-riding after that, and now I have given up the drink altogether.

Top Bottom