England : Derbyshire Peak District incl Holme Moss Saturday May 30: 0900 start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thanks for the info. I revised my route a bit and knocked a couple of hundred of it.

I plan to peel off at Chapel-en-le-Firth.

If I stick to the plan my numbers are 96 miles and 7,000ft of up.

I'd get the train to Glossop in the morning. Presumably you're coming up through Hyde etc and it's not scenic at all. Plus I don't want to hear your excuses about having already done a load of miles when were climbing Holme Moss :okay:

BRounsley

Über Member
I'd get the train to Glossop in the morning. Presumably you're coming up through Hyde etc and it's not scenic at all. Plus I don't want to hear your excuses about having already done a load of miles when were climbing Holme Moss :okay:

I’m feeling a bit off kilter too!

I’ll use the miles up to Glossop to make sure I’m ok for the rest of the ride.

Here’s my route. Only issue is some of it’s off road cycle track and as I’m still damp of this morning commute. I don’t like mixing mud and 23mm tyres!

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=telyqkvxfjyggyvf

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hope you feel OK tomorrow

Your route to Glossop involves more climbing than necessary. Basically when you leave the A560 you drop down to Broadbottom, then climb out of Broadbottom, then drop down to Glossop. The climb out of Broadbottom is quite hard.

The easiest route is continue along the A560, turn right onto Ashworth Lane, turn left and that takes you to the A57. Turn right and that takes you to Glossop via Wooley Bridge. That way you only do the drop into Glossop. That's what I'd do but it's up to you. I wouldn't do the cross country bit anyway. It'll be muddy I think

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The frustrations of organising forum rides. Getting people to actually turn up can be like trying to shovel water uphill!

Don't worry Nick, we can regale them with tales of the fabulous ride they will have missed once the beery fog has cleared. :cheers:

Absolutely. I'm really looking forward to it. The weather is going to be very good. The route is one of my favourites. And the pub in Glossop is excellent.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
And the pub in Glossop is excellent.
Better get polishing my shoes then. Don't want to look like a scruffy arse in a pub on a Saturday night.....

upload_2015-5-29_11-9-9.png

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Gosh, cyclists are a sickly lot.

It's what passes for the air in Lancashire that does it - all those noxious emanations from the pits of doom (AKA Manchester).
Get em over the moss and into the clear, clean sunlit pastures on the Yorkshire side and their ailments will disappear as if by magic.

Is Denton classed as Lnacashire? Or is it Greater Manchester? Thats were I got a nasty ailment (broken neck) that has had me off work for a year! Still I have 5 weeks left before I go back to work and it looks like summer is on its way. Time to catch up on some miles.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Is Denton classed as Lnacashire? Or is it Greater Manchester?

Doesn't matter - It's still Mordor :smile:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Is Denton classed as Lnacashire? Or is it Greater Manchester? Thats were I got a nasty ailment (broken neck) that has had me off work for a year! Still I have 5 weeks left before I go back to work and it looks like summer is on its way. Time to catch up on some miles.

Denton was Lancashire until Greater Manchester was created. It still is Lancashire for stuff like county sport eligibility (there's no Greater Manchester cricket for example). So @BRounsley will start in Lancashire, then Cheshire (Hyde etc), then Derbyshire, then Yorkshire, then back in to Derbyshire, Cheshire and back to Lancashire. Phew!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Got to admit, I'm getting a bit excited now :hyper:.

Also getting the usual pre-big ride nerves, will I cut the mustard, will I forget anything, what will the weather do, should I dress for bad/good weather, do I bring stuff to cover any eventuality (anyone who felt the weight of my bike on the Llandudno ride will know what this means for a hilly trip!).

Decisions, decisions. I think I will dress for glorious weather and just hope for the best :sun: :becool:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Gosh, cyclists are a sickly lot.

Anyway, roll call for tomorrow:

@doughnut @I like Skol @BRounsley @Kestevan

Maybe also @skudupnorth @YahudaMoon - can you either confirm one way or the other or make sure you're there 0900 Saturday. Otherwise don't know if you're coming

Weather forecast looks pretty good. 13 degrees, sunny intervals, no rain. Anyone else fancy it let me know
I'm out with my herd which after today's headaches is going to be "Fun" :wacko: Have a good one chaps.:bicycle:

doughnut

Veteran
Got to admit, I'm getting a bit excited now :hyper:.

Also getting the usual pre-big ride nerves, will I cut the mustard, will I forget anything, what will the weather do, should I dress for bad/good weather, do I bring stuff to cover any eventuality (anyone who felt the weight of my bike on the Llandudno ride will know what this means for a hilly trip!).

Decisions, decisions. I think I will dress for glorious weather and just hope for the best :sun: :becool:
Now you've got me worried @I like Skol. If you're a bit nervous about cutting the mustard then its time for me to start bricking it. I've got a small bag with a change of clothes for the pub after, but in the morning I might be discarding any excess weight I can find on the bike. Defo going commando tomorrow to save an ounce or two.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Now you've got me worried @I like Skol. If you're a bit nervous about cutting the mustard then its time for me to start bricking it. I've got a small bag with a change of clothes for the pub after, but in the morning I might be discarding any excess weight I can find on the bike. Defo going commando tomorrow to save an ounce or two.

I'd not thought about this. If anyone wants to drop off stuff at my house in the morning Mrs N can pop around to the pub when we get there in the afternoon. I live close to the main road through Glossop (fair warning - it is up a steep hill if you're cycling)

I'll PM you all my address

Top Bottom