Spring ride Rutland Sun 14th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
If I can get my Kona rebuilt by then I will also be riding fixed.
I'm worried about who is being brought along by TF & Dr P for me!
Oh and I'm only there to persecute innocent motorists who annoy the group not to keep the group in check.

No idea, but given the mega miles you do at the speeds you do I think you need a heavier bike. Three of us will be going slow on fixed going slower downhill than anyone else, although thinking about it given my new Mr Blobby status I might be descending quicker than usual.
I doubt I'll be on the fix now :sad: Just yards from I gave way at a busy Rbt. A classic sports car came round fast and indicating to leave the rbt but its wheels didnt say that, so I continued to give way which is a good job because they didnt. Unfortunately the car behind me didn't, they accelerated assuming Id go. When she got out and said she was so sorry, she saw me, I exploded; when I reduced her to tears I found myself apologising for my swearing :shy: To her credit there she said I had every right to swear. The rear wheel is goosed (at first inspection it looks to be the rim buckled) hopefully no more than that. I think I escaped with a bruised left buttock and I've ripped my Vuelta Espana back pack, its not like I can get one of them of the shelf tomorrow :sad:

Edit I was going to go for a ride as its great weather I wont be able to now :sad:

I doubt I'll be on the fix now :sad: Just yards from I gave way at a busy Rbt. A classic sports car came round fast and indicating to leave the rbt but its wheels didnt say that, so I continued to give way which is a good job because they didnt. Unfortunately the car behind me didn't, they accelerated assuming Id go. When she got out and said she was so sorry, she saw me, I exploded; when I reduced her to tears I found myself apologising for my swearing :shy: To her credit there she said I had every right to swear. The rear wheel is goosed (at first inspection it looks to be the rim buckled) hopefully no more than that. I think I escaped with a bruised left buttock and I've ripped my Vuelta Espana back pack, its not like I can get one of them of the shelf tomorrow :sad:

Edit I was going to go for a ride as its great weather I wont be able to now :sad:
Blimey! That could have been so much worse, just glad you are ok, "made in Scotland from girders" [used to love that advert for Iron Brew] comes to mind. It's why I am reluctant to cycle in Peterborough as discussed in an earlier thread with Andrew Culture.
(Which still wouldn't be a lot for a man of his height and build.)
I can pinch a centimetre , I feel proper fat :sad:.

10 would be better for me (07:30 departure) as I am working until 10 the night before.
10 it is. What gear are you riding? I will plan a route accordingly.
If I can get my Kona rebuilt by then I will also be riding fixed.
I'm worried about who is being brought along by TF & Dr P for me!
Oh and I'm only there to persecute innocent motorists who annoy the group not to keep the group in check.
I think this bike is as mystical as you are, I'm sure you were building it a year ago
ChinScratch.gif
. You might even know the young lady joining us.

Blimey! That could have been so much worse, just glad you are ok, "made in Scotland from girders" [used to love that advert for Iron Brew] comes to mind. It's why I am reluctant to cycle in Peterborough as discussed in an earlier thread with Andrew Culture.
Pottyb isnt too bad (as a base that is) I recommend getting out ASAP though for a proper ride but worryingly I cant think of a route out of the city that doesn't involve a rbt (too many rbts is a 'new town' thing, Glenrothes, Cumbernauld and East Kilbride are the same :sad: ).

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
10 it is. What gear are you riding? I will plan a route accordingly.

Perfect, that should give me chance for a quick breakfast at either Cambridge or Peterborough services ^_^
I am still running my winter gear of 48 x 18 at the moment.

Perfect, that should give me chance for a quick breakfast at either Cambridge or Peterborough services ^_^
I am still running my winter gear of 48 x 18 at the moment.
You will be fine with that as I'm on my usual 50 x 18. Speaking of which I picked up my new replacement bike from the car accident, an Audax / Touring bike which came with a compact. I told them I wanted a "proper" road double on it ie a 53 x 39 with 175 cranks, you would think I was asking the impossible as the bike comes with SRAM and the Apex groupset don't do proper doubles so I had to upgrade to Rival on the front chainset. What's going on out there? Once upon a time a normal double was all you could get, I'm fairly sure the hills haven't got any bigger.

D

Deleted member 1258

So how many are going to be on fixed? if theres enough I might be persuaded to leave the geared bike behind and chuck the fixed in the car instead, perhaps we might turn it into a fixed ride.^_^

You will be fine with that as I'm on my usual 50 x 18. Speaking of which I picked up my new replacement bike from the car accident, an Audax / Touring bike which came with a compact. I told them I wanted a "proper" road double on it ie a 53 x 39 with 175 cranks, you would think I was asking the impossible as the bike comes with SRAM and the Apex groupset don't do proper doubles so I had to upgrade to Rival on the front chainset. What's going on out there? Once upon a time a normal double was all you could get, I'm fairly sure the hills haven't got any bigger.

SRAM Rival is lovely, I have it on my Verenti, the first thing I did with my Verenti was to ditch the 34 ring and replace it with a 42 to give me the 42/50 combination I had been riding for years.

So how many are going to be on fixed? if theres enough I might be persuaded to leave the geared bike behind and chuck the fixed in the car instead, perhaps we might turn it into a fixed ride.^_^
SRAM Rival is lovely, I have it on my Verenti, the first thing I did with my Verenti was to ditch the 34 ring and replace it with a 42 to give me the 42/50 combination I had been riding for years.

Actually seven of us have a fixed gear bike, I would say that is fairly unusual for a forum ride where fixed isn't specified, dr_pink may not be on her pink fixed if the weather is dry as she is racing on the Saturday so Sunday will be a recovery ride. For the future though I might run a 100 mile fixed ride and see if there are any takers, could be the first ever 100 mile fixed forum ride?

D

Deleted member 1258

Actually seven of us have a fixed gear bike, I would say that is fairly unusual for a forum ride where fixed isn't specified, dr_pink may not be on her pink fixed if the weather is dry as she is racing on the Saturday so Sunday will be a recovery ride. For the future though I might run a 100 mile fixed ride and see if there are any takers, could be the first ever 100 mile fixed forum ride?

100 miles on fixed? Sounds interesting, I've not done the ton on fixed, I think my longest fixed ride was 77 miles.

Top Bottom