Stolen Ruby Elite Specialized 2009 -taken on 5/9/09 fromTooley Street, London Bridge, London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HobbesChoice

It almost confirms that crime will pay if you nick a bike and put it on Ebay. Even with the details you have, still nothing has happened!

We're also strongly advised never to take the law into our own hands but if we don't then the law doesn't seem to be taken in anyone's hands! The justice system in this country is a joke.

I'm sorry you've had to deal with this ttcycle. I really do hope that there's been such a large investigation going on in the background that they need this ebayer to keep posting up bikes to give them as much evidence as possible to avoid him/her getting just a slap on the wrist and giving him some justifiable punishment.

porteous

Veteran
This seller seems to be getting about £1000 per month on bikes. All the buyers can be traced (So some of the bikes can be recovered if the police do their job).

He has been registered with E-Bay for over four and a half years, so could have been selling bikes the whole time.

Assuming he is selling stolen bikes he is getting over £10,000 a year from the proceeds of theft, hardly a minor amount, could top £45,000, and I assume he's not paying tax.

Hope this gets the ending it deserves, will watch with interest.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
No feedback from the police at all-if I didn't have enough on my plate with other things at the moment - I'd lodge a complaint with the governing body as that's piss poor response ie none from the police.

I'm shocked at who purchased the bike Tollers - seems the guy is a keen cyclist - surely he must have known the bike was stolen from the way it was advertised. I don't know how he sleeps at night.

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Vike's been great Speck, it's the other lot in the Met that don't seem to care or do much in relation to solveable cycling theft!!

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Thanks TT.
Unfortunately because this is a Met crime ! am very limited to what I can do. There may be things going on within this investigation that I could mess up if I start doing things on my own. I have made it clear to the investigating officer that if he needs help in Cambridgeshire then I will be on it like a shot....I don't want to go and spook the person that has TT's bike by getting his details and contacting him (though it may be an option later on), causing him to get rid of the bike!
I have a couple of other options I'm following up at the moment!

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
Vikeonabike said:
Thanks TT.
Unfortunately because this is a Met crime ! am very limited to what I can do. There may be things going on within this investigation that I could mess up if I start doing things on my own. I have made it clear to the investigating officer that if he needs help in Cambridgeshire then I will be on it like a shot....I don't want to go and spook the person that has TT's bike by getting his details and contacting him (though it may be an option later on), causing him to get rid of the bike!
I have a couple of other options I'm following up at the moment!

Good luck with it Vike

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Update - received a letter from the Met today, Not able to stop the sale of the bike on ebay as got the info too late (acted too late in other words as he had the info quite early on)- so PC assumes it's been sold (we all know on CC it has been sold). He got the name of the seller and address - out in west london- has asked west london police to investigate to prevent more bikes being sold. Suppose that's all they want to do.

Vike is there anything else that can be done?

Bman

Guru
This doesn’t sound right. Do the police not have a responsibility to recover stolen property? Especially as a small request to Ebay would grant them the address and location of said property

OP
OP
ttcycle

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Nope I don' think it's right either but I suspect it's not high on his list of priorities even if it is easy to solve the case - I wouldn't have got a letter and he wouldn't have forwarded on sellers details no doubt if I didn't chase him- but this is poor.

Vikeonabike

ttcycle said:
Vike is there anything else that can be done?

Yep, They should also be able to trace the person who bought the bike. This should then be either returned to you, or too your insurance company (so you can buy it back) if you claimed on insurance.

All though the person that bought the Ruby is the innocent party (yeah, right (imho)) they are not aloud to keep stolen property and it should be returned.

Vikeonabike

Contact the OIC and explain that although the bike has been sold you would still need it recovering...Give him the buyers details, he then should get onto ebay..get the buyers address and then request the local force go around and attempt to recover your bike.

Simples...:biggrin:

Top Bottom