The 2015 Night Ride thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I’ve finally read that link. It has destroyed by dreams of a firearms and bouncy castle themed night ride.

As I read it, provided that:
  • There exists a CTC Member Group
  • The organiser is an Officer of that Member Group
  • The organiser has a list of all participants, incl their CTC numbers (plus has done other diligent stuff in line with CTC guidelines, eg no more than 5 non-members).
Just to be clear. The Fridays is not a Member Group. It's an Affiliated Club. They've re-issued the leaflet - the text of which is below. The cover expires on 30th September, but I'm presuming that they will renew......

Organisation included in the insurance
[Name of affiliated body]
Period of insurance
[Period of cover offered to the affiliated
body]
How is the insurance provided?
CTC has arranged Organisers’ Liability cover for bodies affiliated to CTC and its officers. Cover is given under a cover taken out by CTC with Royal & Sun Alliance under policy number RSAP1587485200. The policy has a maximum liability of £10,000,000 in respect of each incident and is for the period 1 October 2013 to 30 September 2014. Cover provided to you after 30 September 2014 will reflect the cover available to CTC at the time. A copy of the master insurance policy is available on request.
CTC believes that the cover provided meets the needs of affiliated bodies.
CTC has not assessed individual needs for insurance and you will not receive advice or recommendations from CTC about your insurance needs.
CTC arrange this cover via Butterworth Spengler Insurance Group, who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. You may check this and obtain further information by looking at the Financial ServicesRegister.
Summary of the cover provided Affiliated bodies (‘You’) may organise rides primarily for their members. They may also organise ‘events’ which are rides for both members and the public.
You are covered for rides / events providing the ride / event involves fewer than 200 riders. For events involvingmore than 200 riders, you must advise CTC of the details in advance of the event by completing an event registration form.
You are covered for rides / events which are touring competitions, reliability events, audax events, and in record breaking. You are not covered for any form of competitive cycling including time trials or mass start races.
The cover also includes social events run as part of a ride, for example, tea stops or a barbecue for ride participants at the end of a ride and for meetings of your organisation.
If your officers are involved in the running of a ride / event (as a ride
leader, marshal, or in a similar capacity), you are covered against claims made against you or your officers for injury or damage caused to a third party.
Rides in collaboration with other bodies are covered provided you are clearly the organiser of the ride / event and CTC rules and guidelines are applied to the
event.
Your officers are covered while they are a fully paid-up individual member of your organisation. For peace of mind, you are strongly encouraged to register with
CTC your officials who you want to be covered.
You are covered provided the ride / event is run in accordance with any guidance issued by CTC and in particular that you are aware of all participants on the ride / event, either through collection of names or by completion of an entry form.
‘Tours’ lasting more than one day and including transport and / or
accommodation may constitute a ‘package’. Unless organised via a bonded travel operator such as CTC Cycling Holidays and Tours, such a ‘tour’ may be illegal and will not be covered.
Geographic cover
You are covered for any ride / event which takes place within Great Britain, Northern Ireland, the Isle or Man, or the Channel Islands.
‘Guest’ or non-members
You are covered if a non member on your ride / event causes injury or damage leading to a claim against you. There should not be more than five non-members on any one ride, nor
should a non-member participate in a ride more than five times. This limitation does not apply to one-off events registered with CTC.
What to do if there is an accident
If there is an incident which you think may lead to a claim being made against you or your officers, you should follow the guidance in the Law and Liability for Cycle Activity Providers advice
sheet and complete the Incident Report Form immediately. You should also telephone the CTC Accident Line on 0844 736 8452. They will send you a claim form to complete. Fill in the form
with as much information as possible and send it together with any supporting information, including any letters of claim sent to you to: Butterworth Spengler
Insurance Group, 18-24 Faraday Road,
Wavertree, Technology Park, Liverpool
L13 1EH quoting the CTC policy number
RSAP1587485200.
What to do if you have a complaint
If you wish to make a complaint about any aspect of the cover provided to you, please speak to us at CTC National Office on 0844 736 8450. If you remain dissatisfied, you should make a
complaint using CTC’s Complaints Procedure. Details are on the CTC website at www.ctc.org.uk.
Peace of mind
Royal & Sun Alliance is covered by the
Financial Services Compensation
Scheme. If they were unable to meet
their obligations to you under the CTC
policy, you may be entitled to
compensation from the scheme.
2013_10_01_Insurance_Fact_Sheet_

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Wahey! They seem to have rescinded the restrictions on bouncy castles and weapons.

rb58

Enigma
I'm a bit late to this thread. The FNRttC concept was a real inspiration to me, so I'm more than happy to help in any way I can. In particular on Essex and Kent rides. I have access to tea rooms overlooking Hadleigh Castle and the Olympic Mountain bike venue which could make a good alternative destination than Southend. @ianrauk are riding together this weekend, so we'll compare notes then.

OP
OP
srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Or we could leave the club, and its insurance cover, to one side for the time being and people could run and participate rides between friends on a consenting adults basis.
I think there's room for both. I would probably be happy with half a dozen consenting adults, but not really more. Others will have more risk appetite. I'd prefer the formality because it allows for a bigger event and also encourages newbies.

When I did my first FNRttC I was just three electronic initials. I very deliberately didn't publicise my presence in case I didn't enjoy it. As it happens, I did, and @theclaud invited me for a beer afterwards.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Also have some ideas for some London based fun but educational rides.
Will they be around Christmas time and involve feasting and rehydration at All Bar One?:smile:

U

User482

Excellent idea. Friday night ride to the cathedrals? London to Ely is probably about the right distance. Reading to Bristol? Oxford to Coventry? MK to Peterborough?

Reading to Bristol is probably too far - you're looking at 85 miles by the direct route down the A4. Reading to Bath could be shaved to around 75 miles. Bristol to Cardiff around 55 miles via the scenic route.

Of course I'd be happy to help with route planning, recces etc for anything around these parts.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
;)

Or we could leave the club, and its insurance cover, to one side for the time being and people could run and participate rides between friends on a consenting adults basis.
That is a good idea, perhaps we could organise a crossing of France along those lines?

mmmmartin

Random geezer
@mmmmartin may also be a candidate to lead another one
Leading a ride would be a delight. I would love to do that. I am tempted to step forward with firm plans and dates. My heart is fully behind this. And if @dellzeqq and @Agent Hilda were to be on the ride, enjoying it with no responsibilities for a change, then my joy would know no bounds. My head is telling me that with two months in Patagonia in January and February followed by a half-hearted attempt at qualification for PBP, plus a commitment to the expeditions side of the Duke of Edinburgh award for the local school, plus Mountain Leader type expeditions, and on top of all that I might be going back to work (after being thrown on the scrapheap in the prime of life by the brutal capitalist system) then I must beware of having eyes bigger than my belly, as it were.
So I'm going to keep a close eye on plans and help out if I can. Stepping forward with a firm idea now runs the risk of it all going horribly wrong.

rvw

Guru
We have a route map for the BHF Oxford to Cambridge ride somewhere - it was the first long ride we did on the tandem. But it was a solid 90 miles so quite long for a night -- and I think it was pretty much a straight line. The drive-through MacDonalds on the A5 from the first leg of LonJoG would be an alternative to MK, if there isn't a church/scout/voluntary option.

Top Bottom