Todays winge about greek Yoghurt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[rant]
The majority of peeps it would appear (but I doubt it personally) seem to demand low fat no sugar products to the extent that normal food isnt selling...so if people wanted 'proper food' for want of a better word, they cant because of the general obesity malaise afflicting, at least this, local society.

The foods bought may well be low fat, but they're far less likely to also be low in sugar. To compensate for the lack in taste due to fat being taken out, manufacturers will tend to pad them out with complex carbohydrates, generally some form of sugar. Hence the increase in obesity.

My favourite breakfast: full fat Greek (or Turkish) yoghurt with walnuts and honey, and fresh orange juice and strong coffee.

Or two/three croissants with strong coffee and a large brandy/cognac (but only when I'm touring).

There are plenty of Asian and Mid-Eastern shops here, which is where we buy herbs, spices, vegetables, fruit etc.

MikeG

Guru
The foods bought may well be low fat, but they're far less likely to also be low in sugar. To compensate for the lack in taste due to fat being taken out, manufacturers will tend to pad them out with complex carbohydrates, generally some form of sugar. Hence the increase in obesity.

Well, let's look at this. We're talking about a pint of yoghurt. Yoghurt is made from milk, some powdered milk, a culture, and sometimes some sugar. Even if the combination of milk and powdered milk meant that a pint of yoghurt had 2 pints worth of milk fat in it, that's not an awful lot of fat. The difference between semi skimmed and full fat milk is of the order of 2.5% fat to 5% fat, roughly. So, your claim that obesity is caused by manufacturers adding sugar to replace the missing fat wouldn't really apply to Greek yoghurt, especially considering how little of it people eat at a time. Would anyone eat more than a quarter of a pint 2 or 3 times a week? One person> 1 pint of the stuff a week, max. Agreed? Well, that amounts to sugar replacing a maximum of 1 fluid ounce of fat (cream), per week.

I think that keeping this all in perspective may be sensible.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
It tastes really sharp...and its thin.and wimpy...not a real man's yoghurt at all...let alone a Greeks...erm....or Turks......I'm surprised the gyra allow this whitewash to be sold under the banner of Greek yoghurrts....

I'm no on the side of full fat.is good in.moderation....for years I was a diet coke and a mars bar kind of guy....now I've seen the light and demand a full Greek fat yogurt...
They call it 'greek style yoghurt' not greek yoghurt. I love Greek yoghurt. I have a post most mornings, on my granola (not on fast days though). Hubster not so keen and prefers Muller Light. More Greek Yoghurt for me then.

U

User169

[QUOTE 3172746, member: 259"]F6 was the brand of choice in the GDR when I was there. You had to smoke them tilted upwards, because all the tobacco would fall out otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Or lying down - very civilised!

ayceejay

Guru
Correct me if I am wrong but isn't Greek yoghurt, as opposed to Greek style yoghurt, made from goat's milk making the low fat argument at least - different?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I LOVE Lidl's LOW Fat Greek Style Yoghurt :thumbsup: and it has NO added sugar (as far as I can tell). Get through a kilo a week. I have to eat a low fat diet - no cheese, minimal dairy fat, skimmed milk, no spreads, minimal animal fat etc etc - you get used to it. BUT LF flavoured youghurts are filled with sugar, as are many other LF products - avoid!

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Alternatively ...

407657b.jpg

My favourite breakfast: full fat Greek (or Turkish) yoghurt with walnuts and honey, and fresh orange juice and strong coffee.

Or two/three croissants with strong coffee and a large brandy/cognac (but only when I'm touring).

There are plenty of Asian and Mid-Eastern shops here, which is where we buy herbs, spices, vegetables, fruit etc.
Can I skip the croissants and coffee and go directly to the brandy course please?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
They call it 'greek style yoghurt' not greek yoghurt. I love Greek yoghurt. I have a post most mornings, on my granola (not on fast days though). Hubster not so keen and prefers Muller Light. More Greek Yoghurt for me then.
I have Greek yoghurt on Jordans Crunch with dried Strawberries every other morning. :hungry:

Top Bottom