Tour de France 2019 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Ineos will have a big problem next year too with the return of Froome plus Thomas and Bernal in the same team. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians?
That's what I think too - surely Thomas has to leave if he has any ambition to win Le tour again in his career?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Ineos will have a big problem next year too with the return of Froome plus Thomas and Bernal in the same team. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians?

I'd be surprised if Froome ever returns to Grand Tour-winning form after the injuries he's had, and at his age.

Thomas seems happy enough being the lieutenant, and he's not getting any younger either.

Bernal is the future. He's already pretty much the best stage racer in the world - at the age of 22. He's going to smash all kinds of records.

even Ineos didn't hit their usual highs

Indeed - only the top two places on the podium. Must try harder.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think it's safe to say it was always going to turn out this way... more or less. Stages 18-20 were designed to be decisive. Bernal made it so on stage 18. Just a shame that stages 19 and 20 didn't quite turn out as the organisers planned. We haven't seen the mountain train in action so much but those two have been gravitating towards the top of the GC since the TTT on stage 2.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I did enjoy EBH's long range attempt too - that forced everyone else to react, and he still ended up in 5th, so not a bad attempt from a guy who is far from a pure sprinter. Both Groenwegen and Ewan took really circuitous pathways to the line too, which made it interesting.

Groenewegen seemed to stop pedalling. Not sure if he thought he had it or knew he didn't

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Rumour would have it that Ineos signed Carapaz too (before he won the Giro, apparently).
I guess we find out on Thursday.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Froome, Thomas, Bernal and Carapaz on one team? That's only a problem for the competition. Froomey's recovery seems to be going very well, but his GT-winning days are probably over (at 35, he'd be the oldest winner since Lambot in 1922). G isn't much younger (only four winners aged 34 or older, three before 1948- Cadel Evans being the exception). But they can still do a job as road captain/enforcer/elder statesman/Plan B. And surely the next target has to be a clean sweep of the three GTs…

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Froome, Thomas, Bernal and Carapaz on one team? That's only a problem for the competition. Froomey's recovery seems to be going very well, but his GT-winning days are probably over (at 35, he'd be the oldest winner since Lambot in 1922). G isn't much younger (only four winners aged 34 or older, three before 1948- Cadel Evans being the exception). But they can still do a job as road captain/enforcer/elder statesman/Plan B. And surely the next target has to be a clean sweep of the three GTs…
Surely entering grand tours with three or four leaders is a proven tactic for winning the team classification? So that must be the next target for team fracky placky! ;)

Top Bottom