Tour de France 2019 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
What we going to watch now till next year ?
Screenshot_20190729-084554~2.png

Roll on the Vuelta !

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Stage racing is designed to find the most consistent rider over the whole race, not ones who can win one stage and finish nowhere in others, though it does add to it if the winner can take a stage too.
It's kind of interesting that in the early days of the tour they couldn't quite make their minds up how to judge the winner. Early tours were purely points based, and points were won for stage finish rankings. I'm not certain but I think they flip-flopped a little changing their minds betweeen points and time before finally settling on time.

Then they ended up with a parallel competition of points, which eventually morphed into a competition for sprinters.

I imagine that Desgrange probably considered riding for overall time to be unmanly. He probably advocated shooting half the field at then end of each stage such that there was only one rider left alive at the end. After all his ideal tour was one in which there was only one finisher.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I imagine that Desgrange probably considered riding for overall time to be unmanly. He probably advocated shooting half the field at then end of each stage such that there was only one rider left alive at the end. After all his ideal tour was one in which there was only one finisher.
Not only did he advocate it, but he actually tried it at one tour until one rider revealed the plot to the public by screaming "Assassins/Murderers!" at the race directors at a stage finish in 1910. This story has been somewhat rewritten by the official tour hagiographers which I guess you can do if you own a big publishing house. ;)

lane

Veteran
It's kind of interesting that in the early days of the tour they couldn't quite make their minds up how to judge the winner. Early tours were purely points based, and points were won for stage finish rankings. I'm not certain but I think they flip-flopped a little changing their minds betweeen points and time before finally settling on time.

Then they ended up with a parallel competition of points, which eventually morphed into a competition for sprinters.

We have the two jerseys don't we - points and overall time. I guess at the end of the day the media, commentators and public judge which is the most prestigious and who is the real winner. Also individuals are quite at liberty to take there own view of who won the race.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Someone, I forget who but google will provide the answer*, invented the idea of the Sable jersey, which goes to the rider with the lowest finish time that is over one hour behind the winner. This year it was Laurens de Plus.

The possibilities are endless. There used to be a combination jersey, which could probably be calculated virtually if someone could be arsed to dig out the original rules.

Any suggestions for whacky classifications based on published stats? (extra points for cherry picking so that your favourite rider wins)

* Sable jersey. Cycling tips https://cyclingtips.com/2019/07/the-maillot-sable-classification/

Seevio

Guru
Most points by a rider not called Sagan?

Most time spent at the front of the race?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Time spent in breaks would be good because it would give Wanty riders like Yoann Offredo a chance. Unfortunately I don't know anywhere this is published.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
We have the two jerseys don't we - points and overall time. I guess at the end of the day the media, commentators and public judge which is the most prestigious and who is the real winner. Also individuals are quite at liberty to take there own view of who won the race.
It's frustratingly difficult to find chapter and verse, but as far as I can make out the prize for winning the Tour is €500,000, twenty times the amounts for winning the green and polka-dot jerseys which are both valued at €25,000. So there's little doubt which is the most prestigious.

I think that in the really early days, deciding the winner of the Tour on time was seen as problematic since the gaps on stages were often huge, often through no fault of the riders. So it was natural that they would experiment with a points-based system. I think also that at one time riders could continue in the race even when they hadn't completed an earlier stage, but they weren't eligible for the overall win. Isn't evolution great?

There was once an award called the Prix Citron (Lemon Jersey), awarded by the press to the rider who'd annoyed them most.

Liggett used to say that the Green Jersey was for the "most consistent daily finisher". I'm not sure that was ever completely accurate, but when there was a separate intermediate sprints competition, complete with its own jersey (red), it may have been nearer the truth.

I think the combination jersey calculation was actually quite simple - something like add up ranking position in each of the three main competition and the jersey goes to the rider with the lowest number. But the method probably changed every year.

In 1981 there were awards for the best team man, most likeable rider (I think that's resurfaced in a different guise) and also a fair play award, which went to Joop Zoetemelk, probably because it was one of the few years he didn't get a 10-minute doping penalty.

My one of those miraculous turns of fate, I see that the most likeable rider of 1981, Serge Beucherie, also won the Sable Jersey. If he's not the Tour's greatest unsung hero, I don't know who is. :wub:

lane

Veteran
It's frustratingly difficult to find chapter and verse, but as far as I can make out the prize for winning the Tour is €500,000, twenty times the amounts for winning the green and polka-dot jerseys which are both valued at €25,000. So there's little doubt which is the most prestigious.

I think that in the really early days, deciding the winner of the Tour on time was seen as problematic since the gaps on stages were often huge, often through no fault of the riders. So it was natural that they would experiment with a points-based system. I think also that at one time riders could continue in the race even when they hadn't completed an earlier stage, but they weren't eligible for the overall win. Isn't evolution great?

There was once an award called the Prix Citron (Lemon Jersey), awarded by the press to the rider who'd annoyed them most.

Liggett used to say that the Green Jersey was for the "most consistent daily finisher". I'm not sure that was ever completely accurate, but when there was a separate intermediate sprints competition, complete with its own jersey (red), it may have been nearer the truth.

I think the combination jersey calculation was actually quite simple - something like add up ranking position in each of the three main competition and the jersey goes to the rider with the lowest number. But the method probably changed every year.

In 1981 there were awards for the best team man, most likeable rider (I think that's resurfaced in a different guise) and also a fair play award, which went to Joop Zoetemelk, probably because it was one of the few years he didn't get a 10-minute doping penalty.

My one of those miraculous turns of fate, I see that the most likeable rider of 1981, Serge Beucherie, also won the Sable Jersey. If he's not the Tour's greatest unsung hero, I don't know who is. :wub:

Yes good point. According to the link below you are correct but also £200k for being second the yellow jersey competition and £100k for being third so the points jersey at £25k is certainly not valued in the same way.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...w-much-money-riders-win-tour-de-france-254417

Top Bottom