Tour of Britain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

primalcarl

Chuffy said:
We're probably going to head up to Wheddon Cross. If they stick to the race schedule then we should make it comfortably.

That's where we might head after, but we're now thinking of Cothelstone Hill. It will be a minimum of 60 miles return but will give more time to get there and there's a good chance of a break getting away there so close to the finish

I'll be marshalling at the finish in Blackpool - sort of starting to regret it tho, as you don't seem to be allowed to do very much while on duty, not even take pictures! ;) Still, should be a good day out, if it is not chucking it down all day...

mondobongo

Über Member
punkypossum said:
I'll be marshalling at the finish in Blackpool

You could be on your own there PP, not sure that the Riders will be too keen on a 7.00am start either ;);)

I will be going down to watch the start and hopefully get some good piccies.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I watched an excellent days racing in London yesterday. I thought Pettachi would get the sprint and he didn't dissapoint. I was right down by the start/finish line and got a really good view of the riders signing on. I was surprised though how short Danilo Di Luca is:ohmy: I thought he was taller than that. A great day all round. I hope those of you who are going to watch various stages have as good a day as i did.:smile:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
soltydog & I (+1) are planning to watch start in Hull, then 'race' up to 'Mr Moos' (ice cream parlour)
http://www.mrmoos.co.uk/
on the road out of Hornsea if anyone fancies joining us?

(Looking good on TV)

tomorrows stage from local rag

The race will set off at 10.30am outside the Warren Building, in Vernon Street, Hull city centre.
A full day of activities in the city centre means Dock Street, Vernon Street, Guildhall Road and Quay Street will be closed all day.
There will also be a reversal in place on the one-way system on Grimston Street between George Street and Dock Street until midday.

AS the cyclists rush past, Alfred Gelder Street, Lowgate, Market Place, Garrison Road, Castle Street and Clive Sullivan Way will also be disrupted temporarily at around 10.30am, for no longer than half an hour.

Cyclists will sprint through the city centre and reach the Humber Bridge by 10.45am.

They will ride on to South Ferriby at 11.10am, before looping back round over the bridge and on to Beverley.
Cyclists will reach Beverley town centre by 11.45am

and race straight on to Hornsea, where they will whizz past at 12.15pm.

There will then be a sprint to Bridlington, arriving at about 12.45pm.

From there, they will pass Scarborough at 1.35pm and finish the race at Dalby Forest at 2.30pm.

As a result of the race, many roads will be closed for just a few minutes while the cyclists ride past.
In the East Riding, these include the A63, A164, A1035 and many roads in Beverley town centre, A165 and the B1242.

Mortiroloboy

punkypossum said:
I'll be marshalling at the finish in Blackpool - sort of starting to regret it tho, as you don't seem to be allowed to do very much while on duty, not even take pictures! :thumbsup: Still, should be a good day out, if it is not chucking it down all day...

Ha ha ! Isn't that BC booklet soooooooo draconian:angry:? I did my bit on stage two, it was a long(ish) day though, 08.30 brief by some mad Scots soldier blokey, give him my regards, and ask him where my Tour book is, we were supposed to get them at the end (14.30) in our 'Goody' bag, none of us got one Monday, we got a whistle,(I'd just handed mine back)! a wrist band and a 'T' shirt.

Just remember don't attempt a water rescue, touch any electrical equipment, smoke whilst marshalling, be rude to any spectators (as if) or drink any alcohol 12 hours before the event! Have a nice day;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
ToB Stage 6

Tomorrow's stage is scheduled to go through Morpeth, home of Saturday's floods... one of the roads it goes up is currently lined with skips full of ruined furniture, and driveways with fridges and washing machines in them... :ohmy:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
norfolkgrog said:
I thought they were going to do a reroute job to avoid the worst.
I'd have thought so too, but can't find anything on the ToB website... to be honest, all the water's gone away, but ....

pic from the start in hull. cycle racing would be much more interesting if all the bikes were like these....:ohmy:

tourofbritain.jpg

cheers, velocidad.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
velocidad said:
pic from the start in hull. cycle racing would be much more interesting if all the bikes were like these....;)
cheers, velocidad.

& Bromptons :ohmy:
Nice to see you again Andrew.
Just got back in after cycling to the start (with Craigwend & friend Richard), then up past Hornsea to watch them come past at Mr Moos.
Highlight of the morning was a journalist from the Yorkshire Post who came up to me & Richard & I, Asking if we could do an interview for him, so we said fine. He started the interview with Richard & was asking him a few questions about the race so far & how he thought today's stage would pan out & then asked the following question " What do you think your chances are? " It was at this point we realised that he though we were pros :biggrin: I think it was me & my slight 16.5stone frame that led him to believe that :biggrin:

I've have some video footage which will be uploaded soon.

Top Bottom