UCI Road World Championships Sept. 19-27 **spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jarlrmai

Veteran
The length of the women's race is the real head shaker for me.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The U23 events are streamed live on the UCI's youtube channel.
Ah, I had a look but couldn't find it. That makes sense: UCI don't provide live streams in countries where they've sold the rights. They haven't sold the rights for the youngsters, so a stream would be in order.

EDIT: links removed as not available in UK.

Last edited:

lyn1

Über Member
Eurosport are showing the U23 men's tt but not the junior women. It is a constant message to young girls that they are valued less than their male counterparts,
If they are showing the junior men and not the junior women you have a point, but your current arguement compares apples to oranges, which weakens it.

jarlrmai

Veteran
there is both a junior and an u23 mens TT, there are no women's under 23 events, not sure why perhaps too small a field.

If they are showing the junior men and not the junior women you have a point, but your current arguement compares apples to oranges, which weakens it.
How so? In fact it raises another inequality [and believe me there are plenty of them], race categories are not equal, there are no U23 women, in most races in the UK junior women are just lumped with the elite women, equally in terms of distance, prize money [where applicable], trophies and media coverage there is little parity with men. I never compare men and women in race results because that really is apples and oranges, in fact that is one of my mainstay arguments. I campaign within the amateur cycling tt scene week in week out for a level playing field and am a thorn in the side of many in the cycling world who think women are inferior to men.

blazed

220lb+
Eurosport are showing the U23 men's tt but not the junior women. It is a constant message to young girls that they are valued less than their male counterparts,
Maybe there is less interest? In practically every sport around the world, there is less interest in the female competitions.

Give it all the limelight you want, less people will watch it. Why should broadcasters waste their money?

lyn1

Über Member
How so? In fact it raises another inequality [and believe me there are plenty of them], race categories are not equal, there are no U23 women, in most races in the UK junior women are just lumped with the elite women, equally in terms of distance, prize money [where applicable], trophies and media coverage there is little parity with men. I never compare men and women in race results because that really is apples and oranges, in fact that is one of my mainstay arguments. I campaign within the amateur cycling tt scene week in week out for a level playing field and am a thorn in the side of many in the cycling world who think women are inferior to men.
Because there is little viewer interest and therefore media interest in junior racing (both male and female). However, many of the U23 men are known to the public as they ride in the Europe Tour and other international races that are regularly on tv and will be riding World Tour next year. Consequently, your comparison of a junior group to an U23 group did not appear valid, A stronger case would be made if male junior was aired, but female juniors were not, but I do not think that is the case. The issue with no female U23 is historic, based on lack of numbers and quality at all age categories plus senior women. The growth of the sport in recent years has changed this and I agree there is a need for change in a number of aspects. Good luck with that. I hope your perseverance pays off. Some issues will be easier to address in the short term in the amateur scene where funding streams are less. In the pro scene, costs are such that commercial organisations are essential, which introduces an economic and financial evaluation rather than emotionally based notions of equality (eg. prize money, broadcast coverage etc.)

Not sure I have quite grasped your meaning when you describe the subject of prize money and broadcast coverage as emotional. As to very little viewer interest, this is surely chicken and egg, sure, if you show something once it may not get high viewing figures, but if you watched the women's Tour of Britain you will remember how incredibly well supported it was.
Three weeks ago I was in conversation with probably one of the best known women's cyclists this country has ever produced and she is in complete agreement with me regarding the shabby way in which women, both amateur and pro are treated. If you want a real insiders view of what actually goes on you could do a lot worse than read Nicole Cooke's autobiography, eye opening stuff.

lyn1

Über Member
Not sure I have quite grasped your meaning when you describe the subject of prize money and broadcast coverage as emotional. As to very little viewer interest, this is surely chicken and egg, sure, if you show something once it may not get high viewing figures, but if you watched the women's Tour of Britain you will remember how incredibly well supported it was.
Three weeks ago I was in conversation with probably one of the best known women's cyclists this country has ever produced and she is in complete agreement with me regarding the shabby way in which women, both amateur and pro are treated. If you want a real insiders view of what actually goes on you could do a lot worse than read Nicole Cooke's autobiography, eye opening stuff.
My point was in the context of developing women's cycling in the way many of us wish to see and specifically in relation to parity. This will be easier to achieve in areas where the cycling authorities have sole control. However, in areas where significant external input is required, eg funding and support in the examples I gave, the interests of those parties must be considered. Many years working in this market suggests to me that in these situations the "emotional" case based on peoples feelings of fairness...an egalitarian view...is less persuasive than one that appreciates that corporate marketing activities seek to positively influence the bottom line and that investment decisions are based on economic and financial criteria. When the funding source is governmental or from a social enterprize there is a strong case for parity. This is far less so in "for profit" organisations and a stronger case than the egalitarian arguement is needed, for eg., the thing I often see ....."you fund a men's team so you should fund a women's team" or "you fund a men's race but not one for women". In summary, requests or demands for parity that are unhinged from broader economic and financial strategic issues are likely to be less well received by those we wish to influence.

I appreciate the comments are tangential to the theme of the thread so will leave it at that.

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
I found and embedded links on this page earlier but when I set them to play I got the ''not available in your country'' message. So, it looks like the BBC might have the rights - so no stream available - but hasn't bothered to broadcast them.
Not sure BBC showed or streamed the U23s yesterday. Eurosport had the coverage though so maybe that's why the youtube was geo-locked.

On the subject of Eurosport's coverage of the U23 TT, I thought Michael Hutchinson was a good addition to the commentary team. He's knowledgable and affable.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Not sure BBC showed or streamed the U23s yesterday. Eurosport had the coverage though so maybe that's why the youtube was geo-locked.

On the subject of Eurosport's coverage of the U23 TT, I thought Michael Hutchinson was a good addition to the commentary team. He's knowledgable and affable.
Yes, MH was good, I thought. And not afraid of taking the mickey out of Kirby, thank god.

Top Bottom