UCI Road World Championships Sept. 19-27 **spoilers**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Best wishes to Hayley Simmonds who is a friend of ours, probably very nervous right now.
Indeed. I don't know Hayley but I know her fiancé Mark well, and he is a good egg. Hayley has had an exceptional season and I think a top-ten placing is entirely possible.

Indeed. I don't know Hayley but I know her fiancé Mark well, and he is a good egg. Hayley has had an exceptional season and I think a top-ten placing is entirely possible.
I hope so, yes we know Mark, very obsessive about getting things just right for Hayley, but nothing wrong with that, attention to detail is critical for the rider who needs be able to give their concentration to the upcoming ride without worrying about anything else.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Mark has also got the most extraordinary photographic memory. I was driving us to the HQ of the Hainault Hilly 50k way back in, ooh, 2004, when we were clubmates at CUCC and Mark, having only given the start sheet a cursory glance (as you do), recited from memory almost all the details of the course. Mark blew up spectacularly that day and I've got a photo somewhere of him cramming chocolate cake into his maw after the race. ([name-drop alert] It was also Emma Pooley's first open TT in CUCC colours - three years after this she was at the Worlds in Stuttgart. [/name-drop alert])
1929009_1101363768216_5316438_n.jpg

Last edited:

oldroadman

Veteran
But why are the junior races not being televised? Why are women still racing only half the distance of the men? Even the men's under 23 road race is over 30km longer than the elite women. The old men that control this sport need to step down and make way for the next generation. This is the UCI management committee, notice a slight imbalance in the sexes?
170647_8-LG-SD.jpg

Discrimination is alive and well in cycling at all levels, aided and abetted by selective coverage of the events at the Worlds.
As far as the ttt is concerned, the last team off has an advantage because they have radios, completely unfair, especially in a time trial.
Best wishes to Hayley Simmonds who is a friend of ours, probably very nervous right now.

Radio makes little or no difference. A team rides to a schedule and is usually on the limit of what can be done without going into the red until the last km or two. You can tell a team they are ten seconds down, but if they can't go faster, too bad! In any case, times are relayed back from the finish, appear on TV and roadside spotters from every team will be at critical points to show the team where they stand.

Second highlight - yes all the best to Hayley Simmonds, saw her at the national TT and she was outstanding on a lumpy course. My only concern is that the big dull roads in Richmond will suit her less than a more challenging parcours.

Women at UCI - start with the National federations, when they have more females coming forward then the balance will restore. It will take time, meanwhile don't please insult those left on the UCI MC, it's much different from the one under the old regime - stop denigrating "old men". I'm one and have spent a lifetime in this sport, and would be happy to contribute experience if asked. As would "old women" I'm sure, but they are not mentioned.

oldroadman

Veteran
Not sure I have quite grasped your meaning when you describe the subject of prize money and broadcast coverage as emotional. As to very little viewer interest, this is surely chicken and egg, sure, if you show something once it may not get high viewing figures, but if you watched the women's Tour of Britain you will remember how incredibly well supported it was.
Three weeks ago I was in conversation with probably one of the best known women's cyclists this country has ever produced and she is in complete agreement with me regarding the shabby way in which women, both amateur and pro are treated. If you want a real insiders view of what actually goes on you could do a lot worse than read Nicole Cooke's autobiography, eye opening stuff.

That'll be one side of the story, I'd like to hear the other version from the managements worked with, to get an alternative view. I do remember that after setting up her own team, it collapsed, and the bailout had something to do with BC stepping in to support her, or am I wrong? I'll admit to having a hazy memory!

oldroadman

Veteran
I hope so, yes we know Mark, very obsessive about getting things just right for Hayley, but nothing wrong with that, attention to detail is critical for the rider who needs be able to give their concentration to the upcoming ride without worrying about anything else.
Marginal gains....

400bhp

Guru
Hmm, watching to women's indiv TT and I'm not liking the way I'm thinking about the current leader. "Unbelievable" time for a 42 year old.:sad:

Brilliant stuff, very exciting at the end. Lisa Brennauer will perhaps be annoyed she didn't ride the first few km's hard enough, Anna van der Breggen was amazing, ride of the day for me and full marks to Hayley, 26th in her first world champs. I just wish they raced over the same distance as the men, come on UCI get this sorted out.

Top Bottom