England : Lancashire Whalley - Glasson Dock. A scenic 103 km loop, *DATE CHANGE* SUNDAY 3rd April, 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Because the pump i have can only put about 60 psi in. Obviously i can't take my track pump. I take tubes hoping someone will be kind and do the tube swap for me.:blush:
If you are 18 - 25, blonde, 6' with legs up to your armpits, and female I might even have supplied the tube as well :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Because the pump i have can only put about 60 psi in. Obviously i can't take my track pump. I take tubes hoping someone will be kind and do the tube swap for me.:blush:
I would show you how to do it! :okay:

By coincidence ... I did the Red Rose Ride to Glasson Dock with another rider once and my riding partner got a puncture just as we got to the top of the small hill before the descent to Conder Green.

I hopped off my bike and told him that I was diving behind the hedge for an emergency pee (I had been hanging on until the cafe stop).

When I reemerged he was standing beside his bike which still had a very unfixed flat tyre. I asked why he wasn't fixing it and he told me that he didn't know how to! I was very surprised, but he told me that despite having been cycling for several years, that was his first ever puncture! I told him that he could take his time and I would show him what to do.

It took him about twice as long as it would have taken me, but I think it was a very useful learning opportunity. There are fantastic roads in that area and on some of them you could get no mobile reception, be miles from a call box (do they even exist any more?!), miles from even a farm building, and wait hours to see another person. You would have a very long wait or a very long walk with your bike if you couldn't fix a flat tyre!

The answer to the inability to carry the track pump on the bike is to buy a smaller version of one. I am not talking about a typical 'mini-pump' - it is hard to get a decent tyre pressure using most of them. Buy something like a Topeak mini-morph. I have a Halfords clone of one of them and have no problem getting 90+ psi out of it.

Well the management has issued me with a passout for the day, so I'd like to tag along, if I may.
104km is unknown territory for me, so I'll probably turn back early, depending on the state of the legs. If I'm not there for the kickoff, don't wait :smile:
Looking forward to meeting you chaps.
Welcome, Oldfentiger! We will be riding slowly so you should be okay as long as you eat and drink enough. We expect a tailwind up the hardest climb, the Trough of Bowland, so that will take the edge off it. The ride from there to Glasson Dock is easy because there is an awful lot of downhill. Take a look at the videos taken on my 2014 'Back from the dead' ride and you will get an idea of what to expect!

lpretro1

U need to buy yourself a decent pump (try Lezyne - small, neat and very effective) or a little CO2 inflator - fits in back pocket and whacks the pressure up nicely. Just doesn't seem right to expect others to carry equipment for u to use - surely everyone should be self-sufficient ?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
U need to buy yourself a decent pump (try Lezyne - small, neat and very effective) or a little CO2 inflator - fits in back pocket and whacks the pressure up nicely. Just doesn't seem right to expect others to carry equipment for u to use - surely everyone should be self-sufficient ?

Out of about 10 of us on the Wednesday club ride only 1 or 2 carry pumps and not all mend their own punctures. There's always a couple of blokes who delight in showing off their change a puncture in less than 5 minutes skills and are straight in there when a flat happens. It'd take me around 20 minutes!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There's also the very decent Cafe de Lune at Conder green. Well regarded in the cycling community. Always make a point of going there when we go over Bowland and Quernmore
http://barnesbike.wix.com/cafe
Let's go there for a change - we don't get any views from the cafe at Glasson Dock! You can show us where it is.

It's a good job we didn't go today. It's still raining here, and in the Morecambe and Lancaster area according to the football report. They said it had to fine up late morning.:rolleyes:
It is still grey, drizzly and depressing in Todmorden and the wind is blowing the wet stuff towards Whalley and on to our route so I think it will take at least another couple of hours for the rain to blow over there. We made the right decision!

Out of about 10 of us on the Wednesday club ride only 1 or 2 carry pumps and not all mend their own punctures. There's always a couple of blokes who delight in showing off their change a puncture in less than 5 minutes skills and are straight in there when a flat happens. It'd take me around 20 minutes!
I've seen many people do a rushed tube change and then have to do another one 5 minutes later, and sometimes even a third time because they are rushing the job, damaging the tubes, and not bothering to find out what caused the original problem! It wouldn't normally take me 20 minutes, but I am happy to take 10 minutes and do it properly.

And the reason it takes you 20 minutes is because you are not doing it and getting better at it! :okay: The answer is to take a wheel off your bike and take it in to a nice warm room at home and practice there in comfort. After you have taken the tube out and put it back again 5 or 6 times you will have got the hang of it. You don't want to be doing it for the first time at the roadside in the rain!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've been keeping a weather eye on the weather forecast and tomorrow looks good, or about as good as you will get in early April.

Which leads me to say I would like to join you.

Not least because @MikeW-71 told me this is a grand ride when we met a few weeks ago.

A bit longer than my last one with @ColinJ and chums, but it looks like less climbing to me, well it could hardly be more, could it?

I'm a bit wary of all the talk of punctures on this thread, that's bound to mean someone will cop one tomorrow.

I carry plenty of repair kit, as I'm sure do most of the rest of us, so @Accy cyclist has no need to worry.

Plus I'm sure Colin runs on the same principle as my group - everyone will be got home somehow, even if their bike breaks in half.

Enough doom and gloom, I'm looking forward to another chance to ride in good company on a lovely route which I wouldn't otherwise get to do.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My concern about punctures stems from the other day when i had a double impact puncture. The back one was soft the day after. I've kept an eye on it. I've done 27 miles today and it's gone down from 95 psi to 80 psi. I reckon it'll be ok for tomorrow,

Globalti

Legendary Member
As we did last time, GtiJunior and Alex and I will meet you at Spring Wood and ride so far with you then peel off.

Alex, who lives in Whalley, says that Spring Wood is now pay & display. Anybody driving can park on Accrington Road to avoid paying.

See you at 10.00.

Top Bottom