What have you hit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
A pot called jack.

kiriyama

I had some sort of small bird fly in to my front wheel on a decent. Must have been going close to 70kph... It must have got caught in between my spokes and my forks.... It instantly turned into a cloud of blood and feathers! poor thing.

And I constantly get hit by giant bees

Tin Pot

Guru
A car that pulled out of traffic to drive down the wrong side of the road.

Otherwise nothing, with bike or car.

D

Deleted member 1258

Another cyclist, twice, both times a touch of wheels in the pack, both times me on the floor, I rode on club rides for years with no incidents at all then touched wheels twice in the same summer, and since that Summer no incidents. I've also hit a dog, I had a very old bike with a headset that wouldn't stay tight so I had Alf at Pollard Cycles lock it down so it wouldn't move, all was well for several weeks then I had a dog run into the side of the front wheel and then it wouldn't stay tight again so I had to give it back to Alf so he could lock it down again. I've also had three minor bumps with cars.

A couple of months ago I hit a ped who ran from in front a bus across a crossing without looking. I slowed in anticipation but there comes a point where you think it is 'safe' to proceed and accelerated. Hit her doing about 15mph, came off the bike and cut my hand but she came off worse. She hit the ground (did not hit her head), but her right side and arm would have been hurting as she took the brunt of the collision.

Hung around for the ambo and Police to turn up, gave my details to the Police. Also gave a bit of a rollocking to the copper who felt the need to tell her that she should be looking where she was going and if ''I was on a motorbike she'd be dead.'' Poor girl was in tears.

Before this she had accepted she was in the wrong, I was just shocked and glad both of us were alright. Took the details of two witnesses should anything come about but it has not. One of lifes experiences.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hit nothing apart from riding over a dead rat in the park, during a cycling lesson.
Another participant said "did you just ride over that dead rat?"
Should I have abruptly stopped? It was a group riding lesson!:rolleyes:

gavintc

Guru
I hit and collected a pedestrian when I lived in Glasgow. She run over a crossing without looking and ended up on my handlebars. It was quite funny really. She was not injured at all, had grabbed the bars and we travelled face to face for a few yards. We both laughed and went our own ways.

joe3781

Regular
inches away from a squirell loads of times, they are suicidal

and the back of a volvo, had to pay for the windscreen wiper as i snapped it of while sliding down the glass, wasn't entirely my fault as the car came to a quick stop to pull into a drive and only indicated at the last second, but it was an elderly couple so i felt bad

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Last year i had a squirrel, a weasel, a small deer a few cats and a rat run across my path, Thankfully i didn't hit any,as i'm an animal lover. This year i saw a hedgehog in the road so i stopped the traffic while i picked it up and put it in a field. I hate to see roadkill while out cycling. I'm sure some drive over them on purpose!:thumbsdown:

I forgot to mention about roadkill in cycle lanes. I've seen squashed rabbits, hares, squirrels crows etc in cycle lanes. Most of these cycle lanes are on wide open roads where there's no way vehicles need to stray into them. I've driven and cycled on those roads and seen buses, wagons and cars avoid the cycle lane by at least two feet. So they must drive into them on purpose when they see an animal in their sights.:angry:

jhawk

Veteran
I've hit a lamp-post once. Thankfully not travelling at a great rate of knots. Dad's ex-girlfriend who cycled with me couldn't help but laugh her arse off for at least five minutes. No damage to me or the bike, except for my pride. Contributed to the death of a dog the other month. Aside from that, I've hit the deck a few times.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Speed humps!

I fell off my bike after hitting a vicious speed hump in Norbury Park (Surrey Hills). Can only blame myself as I wasn't paying attention to the road, but I do wonder why such a quiet and small road has any need for traffic calming. I've yet to see any cars there!

A few months later I hit another hump but this managed not to crash. This was an unlit road, so the humps were completely invisible. Reflective paint markings were obscured by parked cars, so again there was a massive THUMP as the handle bars tried to wrench out of my hands.

I've just taken a look at the UK regulations/legislation for traffic calming, and it appears that humps MUST be illuminated. Hmm, I feel a campaign coming on.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Reminded me of a friend of mine who was riding home from school down a steep hill. He felt his front wheel was wobbling and loose so looked down at it. When he looked up he went straight into the back of a parked Ford XR2i. He put his fist through the rear screen and ended up lying on the back seat of the car.

The owner was very reluctant about taking him to hospital due to the amount of blood on his back seats, allegedly. Came very close to severing some tendons on the back of his hand but had an impressive scar.

My younger son recently went off with something hanging off his handlebars which then totally jammed up his front wheel. He flew off the bike which hit a neighbour's car enough to require £300 worth of dent repairs. I straightened the shifters out and thankfully my son was OK if a bit winded & bruised. Lesson learned !

Top Bottom