What is still an acceptable age to live with your parents?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

Was talking to a girl earlier and she is 30 and still lives with hers.

She's on about £35k per year, is really nice looking and a nice girl (so she's not a special case)and yet has never lived on her own. Has a boyfriend but never has thought about moving out or in with him.

I personally don't think there is much wrong with it but the girl I took to the meeting thought it was totally bizarre!

TVC

21 max. I left home and moved 100 miles away just a month after my 18th Birthday.

My brother in law finally left home when he was 34 - not good.

betty swollocks

large member
Think it depends on the size of the house and whether parents and child can each enjoy their own space and privacy.
So, in simplistic terms, terraced house, bit odd: country mansion, ok.

Will1985

Über Member
Europeans, especially Italian men, often live with their parents until their 30s or marriage which has given rise to the term Bamboccione with the meaning of a grown up man still being cared for by his parents (the -occione suffix carries negative connotations).

I technically still live with my parents at the age of 24 when I'm not at university. I think they want me to properly leave once I've graduated at the end of the year - I will if I can find a decent job and someone to live with!!

kyuss

Veteran
I think if you're making £35k a year there's no excuse. I was still living with my folks at 26 but I was skint. As soon as I was earning more than £13k and could afford it I was outta there, not that I hated living with my folks, but because it's something you need to do when you get to that age.

It's pretty easy to stay at home, both financially and emotionally, but since money isn't a worry on her wage I think she just needs to grow up.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
BigonaBianchi said:
I left home at 18

17 me. I wouldn't say 'left' though. Kicked out but managed to sort my sh*t out and went back briefly in my early 20's. Left home 'proper' to my own house at 22. I still remember the cockroaches and shared kitchen and loo in the bedsits I lived in.

I have a cousin who is in her 50's, loaded and still lives with her mother. Don't get it myself, but each to their own I suppose. Never had a bloke and a workaholic.

I think it's a shame for single people in this day and age who work. They haven't got a hope of getting anything decent unless they have a very decent job. If I was 10 years younger NOW, I'd choose to stop with the olds.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
I'll be about 32 in about a month and still live in my parents house. I earn about £9k a year though and no morgage company will (rightly) touch me. I cant afford to rent either. Pain in the bum.

I've been looking for a new job for about 3 years and its all basically the same crap for no money.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
two of my male colleagues still live with their parents - one is 57 and the other is 41.

The first is a workaholic and magistrate and normal.

The other is definitely odd in some respects.

I left home at 19 to go to university and apart from the summer breaks when I returned to do a summer job I have lived in Leeds ever since.

Bothe earn £35k+

gavintc

Guru
I left when I just turned 18. My brother left home at 17, or rather my parents left home for a 5 yr contract abroad and he had to move into a flat. I do think it rather odd when adults continue to live with their parents. My daughter has moved out already and my son just crashes here when he is not uni.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker

Schooling finished.

Out into the big world.

I work with a bloke who's 29 and lives with his parents, and BOY, do I rib him about it?!!

Each to their own. My circumstances worked for me, whereas they wouldn't for others.

puddleglum

I left home at 19 and have never been back to live, whereas my little sister is now 35 and still there. We are both on about the same money, although different careers. Because her expenses are a lot less, all her stuff is top quality, while most of mine is knackered or cheap crap!
Each to their own I suppose... :tongue:

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
puddleglum said:
I left home at 19 and have never been back to live, whereas my little sister is now 35 and still there. We are both on about the same money, although different careers. Because her expenses are a lot less, all her stuff is top quality, while most of mine is knackered or cheap crap!
Each to their own I suppose... :ohmy:

Independence means a lot pudds.... you can't put a price on that. :tongue:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
25 when I left home - got married.

I've got two mates still at home - both pushing 40..... One had been married, moved home, but he looks after his elderly mom. Other mate never left home....

Top Bottom