What is still an acceptable age to live with your parents?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
I was 21 when I left home, got married. A mate of mine is fifty soon and is just getting ready to move in with his girlfriend.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
20 for me and not a day too soon either. Any longer and I would have gone mad.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
snapper_37 said:
Independence means a lot pudds.... you can't put a price on that. :biggrin:

There be Wise words above :biggrin:

Me? Left at 19 (student days) lived back at home during the summer after my first year but when I left for the 2nd year that was that...
My sister stayed at home until 26 :biggrin::wahhey:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
18 I moved out.
Told my mum I was moving out, her first words were 'I will get you a bin liner for your clothes'

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
cheadle hulme said:
I wish I still lived at home. My mums a much better cook than my wife and she can iron shirts properly too.

Ha....

Me and my wife are better cooks than both our parents..full stop.........

We 'cater' for their tastes....but with our 'improvements'.... but we dumb it down loads......

The CC recipe ....

For sprouts ..... "sprouts in sesame oil/seeds and stir fried" ........ good grief and I did this on Xmas day for the past 2 years......... good.....:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.....total hit......

RedBike

I'm still at home. There's just no way I can afford a house.
If I was on 35k a year I would be out of here like a shot.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Effectively left at 18, when I moved in with then gf. It didn't last (doh!) but I then went to uni. Moved home for a year when I was 24... the old man died and the mother hit the bottle big time... someone had to look after her... got her a bit sorted, then I left again.

Bodhbh

Guru
I left at 18, but did move back for several month sround 30 when I came back afer working abroad and was on the dole...

Alright for a month, but after that things start to grate a bit. Particularly with the old man, partly cos I was just getting up when he nipped back during the day for his dinner (self-employed tradesman). But tbh I think there something about 2 grown up blokes in the same household will always end up circling around each other if they aren't to get on each others tits. My mum was no problem.

I dunno it depends on circumstance, I always thought it was a bit sad past your early twenties, but seems fairly normal nowadays, sometimes it's the best arrangement all around if you can live okay with each other.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
My best mate lives at home and she's 38. She's lived in various house-shares since Uni but her job is so low paid and housing is so expensive in the part of Kent where she lives/works that she's fairly stuck. It's really depressing for her but there's no evident way out when she's on a 15k salary.

I moved out at 22 when I got married. I love spending time with my folks but don't know if we could live in the same house for any length of time; I like my independence too much and my parents are tidier than we are!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
for reasons that are a bit of a blur now (and were more of a blur then) I rented a share in a flat while I was still at school, aged 16. I could then disappear for a few days at a time and come back home to get my washing done.

I'd be happy for the Kid to stick around for as long as she wants, and her mother doesn't want her to leave home at all. Having said that, I'm sure that the second she can fund her own place (correction, the second that she can get us to fund her own place) it's soyanara.

Spookily I still pay the other two allowances - inflation has reduced them to not much, but the youngest (who is 25) reacted badly when I suggested that my unemployment might make me stop handing over £150 a month. I'm deliberating......

Wigsie

Nincompoop
col said:
Yes she is the one that remembers everyones birthdays :tongue:

You Lucky B%*tard! mine is worse than me, then she blames me 2 days after the event when we dont send cards!

Went to Uni at 18, graduated at 21 and lived with folks for 4 months while I got enough payslips to be able to get a mortgage.

I think its acceptable to still use parents home as a base if you need it temporarily (did when I was 25 and broke up with an ex sold my house and had to wait for new place to be built). A friend of mine lived at home till 30 and it has done him no favours! he doesnt appreciate money, is in masses of debt as he is used to his dad bunging him cash every so often. but really 1 year after you leave full time education is the limit, and will be for my boys!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Left after uni, and I wish I lived nearer to them. As for my kids ... I worry that they won't be able to afford to move out. I do love them but if they are going to make as much mess and little contribution to the house when they are grown up then we will be in for some troubled times. Plus at this stage I can't imagine what I would think of them bringing back partners to the house - they just seem to young for that at the moment - yet I suspect that it will come sooner than I think.

Top Bottom