What is still an acceptable age to live with your parents?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Left when I went to Uni, and moved back in for just shy of 2 years when I got a job back near my parents home about 3 years after Graduation (although most weekends were spent back in Manchester with my g/f).

Changed jobs again and moved back to Manchester, and in with my g/f at her folks'!!! 6 months there and then we found our own place.

Still living with my father at 49 but am on only 13-14K a year on the edge of one of the most affluent parts of the country, with no chance of getting on the council waiting list as I am single and no kids:sad:.

redjedi

Über Member
I moved to London from France when I was 16. Had to get a part time job in the evenings and weekends to pay the rent, while going to college during the day.

Although it would have been easier if I had had a parent's place to stay at, I wouldn't have changed it for anything.
I learnt a lot during the last 12 years having to cope on my own, and now I feel I can cope with almost anything life has to throw at me.

yoyo

Was homeless once my father died when I was fifteen. Mother didn't want me / us. Was in boarding school during the term and had to have residential employment during holidays to ensure there was a roof over my head. We were adopted and it didn't work out. The authorities in holy roman ireland were too busy condemning adoptees for the fact their parents couldn't keep their knickers on so there was no one to turn to.;)

Maz

Guru
If parents/son/daughter are both happy to share the same house, where's the problem? Why are some of yous laying down max ages by which time you should get out?

GilesM

Legendary Member
I agree with the view that once you have finished full time education and found a proper job, it's time to leave, as soon as I had finished my apprenticeship, saved enough money for the legal fees and organised a mortgage I was off, I was 22 when I left, but I do appreciate now that lack of funds is a real problem, my first flat cost 24K. It's obviously a personal thing, but living with your parents well into your 30s when you can afford to move out does seem a bit odd.

paddy01

18. Moved out to live with then girlfriend, me best mate and his girlfriend.

Of course it ended in high drama but my god that was a hell of a year. Halcion days :laugh:

Arch

Married to Night Train
I left home when I started Uni, but that was when I was 29. Before that I was in a crap low paid job, and had no impetus to get out really. Once Dad died, it was nice enough, and me and Mum got on fine. My sister moved out first, to move in with her BF.

Don't think I could move back now, I can stand about a week and then I need to be alone for a bit.

I left home at 18 to go to uni and never went back. I think I would have gone mad if I had! I preferred to make my own way and only had to go on the dole once in that time, so it worked out OK. I like spending time with my parents as they are nice people, but only in small doses!

MichaelM

Guru
I'm not sure why I remember this, but....

I left home on Tue Sept 9th 1980, 14 days after my 16th birthday. Went off to do the "join the Army see the World" thing!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I left home at 19. I was earning a reasonable wage and a mate of mine suggested we rented a flat together. It was 1976. I used to go home once a week though as my mum wanted to make sure I had a descent dinner.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm 29 and am still living at home. I did live in Dublin for a few years after I left college but I moved back home shortly after being made redundant as there didn't seem much point paying rent in Dublin when I couldn't manage a decent job at the time and I'm still there. I have a relatively poorly paid job and could never afford to have my own place at the moment and I am single with no kids. It doesn't cause too many problems as I get on alright with my parents and I'm happy to help out on the family farm in my spare time so they get free labour and I can do sometrhing I enjoy in my spare time without the headaches of actually running it. Also, it suits me to live in the country as I have loads of quiet (albeit badly surfaced) roads to cycle on and have plenty of space for my dogs to run around and plenty of space and workshop facilities for my ongoing projects. I would like a place of my own all the same. I just need the money and someone special to share it with.

Top Bottom