Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Napster or another subscription service

• Amazon MP3 (or Tesco)

• I don't like to pay for it

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I went for CDs only. I don't have a broadband connection at home so can't really download it. I also enjoy a good browse in a proper record shop. I do often rip my CDs into MP3s. I also like to look round car boot sales for any old vinyl that takes my fancy.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
alecstilleyedye said:
does that count as music?

Only when there's something in it I fancy. It's not a weekly event.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

ianrauk said:
Very true..
and killing the business I am in

I must admit to not having a lot of sympathy for music companies and their approach of the last few years. It looks like they've finally realised that what's killing the industry is the whole copyright protection approach, DRM included.

And who's that other shower of tw£ts who look after the performance rights who've fallen out with youtube?

Beating your customers with a big stick is never a good idea.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I buy the CD's mostly and transfer them into i-Tunes, I have started using Amazon a bit but unlike Mr Summerdays, I like the physical possession of the CD too. (Just in case the computer goes wrong:biggrin:)

I prefer to pay for it and know that I'm legit.

I do bit of all of them, where do I vote.

If its an artist I really like I'll buy the CD there is nothing like having something physical that you know can't be erase by accident. Plus I love having the album artwork to flick through. The only downside of a growing CD collection is space to put it. Yes I am anal about having it all in alphabetical order as well as cronological per artist.

However I quite often use iTunes or borrow stuff from friends to copy into iTunes. Our local library is a good source for music. A couple of quid to borrow for a week and burn to the computer.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Having grown up with vinyl, I find it very hard to get excited about cds, personally.

I tend to buy them because, in general, it's better value (and less restrictive) than getting the music via iTunes.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Uncle Mort said:
+1. I remember the "home taping is killing music" campaign in the seventies. It wasn't then and it isn't now. Bland corporate X factor style crap is killing music.

+1. same old arguments. all that's changed is that a 5th gen copy doesn't sound like it was recorded via a cat's bum. the law is adrift of the technology and part of the music industry's problem is that they have lobbied hard for legislation that appeals to no-one but them, and gets ignored accordingly.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Being in the industry I fully agree with you. I am not a great admirer of Major labels and their practices. I have been offered 3 jobs over the years by Major labels for good money and turned them all down.

However as much as you do look at it, illegal downloading is stealing (and in fact burning a cd is technically illegal too)

Yes the major labels have ferked it up for us, by continually selling music at silly low prices to supermarkets and devaluing music. X-Factor certainly doesn't help either. When people expect cheap or free music from major labels, they also then expect cheap or free music from other avenues. Small cottage labels etc. DRM is now being largely discontinued, but DRM is certainly not why music sales are falling, The reason it is falling is because people are falling out of the habit of buying physical product. People are happy to have a inferior sounding tune played through their mobile phone or ipod rather then having and playing a disc with music as the artist would want you to hear it. How many people actually rip a CD at the full rate, hardly anyone, why? because the majority of people don't know how to.

And those shower of tw£t's you refer to are MCPS, The mechanical copyrights society.

Not one of my favourite organisations, however they are doing a job for the artists rather then the labels. The money they collect goes direct to the artists not labels. If you yourself made a music video and it appeared on various website and you wasn't paid, would you be happy at that? If artists don't want to give away music or show their videos for free, then that's their prerogative. They have spent time, effort and money making music and videos. Is a nominal payment from You Tube too much to ask for?

Crackle said:
I must admit to not having a lot of sympathy for music companies and their approach of the last few years. It looks like they've finally realised that what's killing the industry is the whole copyright protection approach, DRM included.

And who's that other shower of tw£ts who look after the performance rights who've fallen out with youtube?

Beating your customers with a big stick is never a good idea.

number12bus

I use the monthly subscription service emusic mostly, rather good for slightly leftfield indie stuff, but all downloaded as mp3 (i.e. no evil DRM), other than I use amazom mp3 download service, which is nice and cheap (new album by The Rakes ~£6.50) and comes at a relatively high bit rate ~350kbps.
Stopped buying physical cds now as getting them off the side opening the box, opening the cd player, closing the cd player, and then putting the cd back in the box and then putting it away again seems like sooooo much trouble... lazy git that I am. However, I do miss having sleeve notes and the like to flick through

Ranger

I too like having the physical CD just in case the computer goes wrong (God I sound like my Dad)

It means I can then play them in the car via the Sat Nav, on my Ipod or streamed through the stereo.

If the wife is away overnight I will go for my favourite night of entertainment: Huge stack of CD's, headphones, Playstation and several bottles of wine and keep going till the sun comes up:thumbsup:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

ianrauk said:
Being in the industry I fully agree with you. I am not a great admirer of Major labels and their practices. I have been offered 3 jobs over the years by Major labels for good money and turned them all down.

However as much as you do look at it, illegal downloading is stealing (and in fact burning a cd is technically illegal too)

Yes the major labels have ferked it up for us, by continually selling music at silly low prices to supermarkets and devaluing music. X-Factor certainly doesn't help either. When people expect cheap or free music from major labels, they also then expect cheap or free music from other avenues. Small cottage labels etc. DRM is now being largely discontinued, but DRM is certainly not why music sales are falling, The reason it is falling is because people are falling out of the habit of buying physical product. People are happy to have a inferior sounding tune played through their mobile phone or ipod rather then having and playing a disc with music as the artist would want you to hear it. How many people actually rip a CD at the full rate, hardly anyone, why? because the majority of people don't know how to.

And those shower of tw£t's you refer to are MCPS, The mechanical copyrights society.

Not one of my favourite organisations, however they are doing a job for the artists rather then the labels. The money they collect goes direct to the artists not labels. If you yourself made a music video and it appeared on various website and you wasn't paid, would you be happy at that? If artists don't want to give away music or show their videos for free, then that's their prerogative. They have spent time, effort and money making music and videos. Is a nominal payment from You Tube too much to ask for?

The MCPS undoubtedly perform a vital function and are needed but it's the way they've actively hounded people in the manner of the company the BBC use to collect the license fee. They are quite aggresive and ultimately I don't feel they're doing artists any favours.

I don't see how people not physically buying a CD is bad. Surely offering stuff for download lowers costs?

I also have to admit to being one of the people who've opted for convenience over quality. I did once compare a Vinyl with it's CD equivalent and the CD to a copied CD to an MP3. The copied CD and the MP3 were quite similiar and I was surprised at the fall in quality in the CD copy from the original. Of course the vinyl was the best. I then played the MP3 through a better amp and speakers attached to my computer than the one in the front room. The MP3 sounded better than the CD because it was played on better equipment. So it all gets a bit relative, which is why I've now opted for MP3's. I can carry them anywhere and if I want, play them at reasonable quality which is good enough for me based on the the equipment I can afford to buy.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
MSPS are not some of our favourite people either
They can be a complete nightmare, we as a label & as a music distributor get hounded ourselves, somtimes quite wrongly. BUT they do serve a purpose, that is to get monies to the artists.

Why should the price of music be lower?
Surely £10 for a CD which will last you many many years is great value for money. Well it is imo.

Once again I fully agree with you on the sound quality issue, however youa re the exception to the rule.

Crackle said:
The MCPS undoubtedly perform a vital function and are needed but it's the way they've actively hounded people in the manner of the company the BBC use to collect the license fee. They are quite aggresive and ultimately I don't feel they're doing artists any favours.

I don't see how people not physically buying a CD is bad. Surely offering stuff for download lowers costs?

I also have to admit to being one of the people who've opted for convenience over quality. I did once compare a Vinyl with it's CD equivalent and the CD to a copied CD to an MP3. The copied CD and the MP3 were quite similiar and I was surprised at the fall in quality in the CD copy from the original. Of course the vinyl was the best. I then played the MP3 through a better amp and speakers attached to my computer than the one in the front room. The MP3 sounded better than the CD because it was played on better equipment. So it all gets a bit relative, which is why I've now opted for MP3's. I can carry them anywhere and if I want, play them at reasonable quality which is good enough for me based on the the equipment I can afford to buy.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In fact... just got those this from a music industry blast...

STREAMING IS IN FASHION WITH THE KIDS
The good news. American teens are using illegal P2P services less frequently. The bad news. They are buying fewer legal downloads too. Both those stats are possibly a sign that, as far as the youth market is concerned, we're already moving beyond the era of the MP3.

Once all music is available for streaming on-demand whenever you want it, why would you want to bother downloading the track itself, legally or otherwise? It's a trend that can only continue as access to the mobile internet becomes more prevalent and affordable, and the big streaming services expand to the mobile market, meaning only trips underground, in the air or in remote parts of the world would require music to be held on a local device.

The latest stats about US teenagers' digital music habits come from research firm NPD Group. It found that CD sales in this demographic continued to slide in 2008, by 26%, while download purchases also fell, by 13%. The number of tracks downloaded illegally was also down, by 6%. But use of online radio services was up 38% and use of streaming music via social networks was up 20%, so that about half of those interviewed said they accessed music by both kinds of streaming platforms.

Billboard report that the trends shown in the NPD report on US teens have been seen elsewhere too, in particular referencing a report on global web traffic by Ipoque which found that P2P usage was down and streaming services up across the board.

None of which is really surprising, of course, though it does reinforce the need to find workable business models for streaming services - audio and video - so that those media, web and start-up firms providing those services can make a profit while offering something web users want and will buy into, but at the same time ensuring artists and songwriters get suitable royalties to compensate for the inevitable impact such services have on physical and a-la-carte download sales, and that labels etc bring in enough revenues to recoup on past investments, invest in new talent and keep their shareholders happy.

I'm feeling optimistic this morning so am going to assume that business model exists. I'm less confident the internet - and the miles of copper wire much of it relies on - can actually cope with everyone choosing streaming over download-based music services. In terms of bandwidth efficiency, of course, the more content hosted locally the better.

Top Bottom