Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Napster or another subscription service

• Amazon MP3 (or Tesco)

• I don't like to pay for it

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
once a service like spotify can be used on a mobile device, that will change the game completely. afaia there is an iphone app in development. given that you'll be able to buy an iphone style phone for peanuts in 10 years' time, the arguments about piracy may be a thing of the past before too long.

the result of the pirate bay trial will be interesting too…

OP
OP
C

Crackle

alecstilleyedye said:
once a service like spotify can be used on a mobile device, that will change the game completely. afaia there is an iphone app in development. given that you'll be able to buy an iphone style phone for peanuts in 10 years' time, the arguments about piracy may be a thing of the past before too long.

the result of the pirate bay trial will be interesting too…

Ian's post is interesting. It's proof positive that I'm still one to two steps behind the trendies :angry:

Spotify has got some way to go befoe you could use it on a mobile device. My use of it for an hour has bumped my projected download use up by 2Gig for the month. Using it for a few hours a day could actually see me exceed my 20Gig download limit :evil:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Being a real geek about sound quality, I like to buy the CDs and rip them at the highest bitrate possible. I remember when I first bought my Shure e2c canal-phones 4 years ago and being shocked at how 128kbps tracks that sounded OK on crappy earphones sounded absolutely dire. Thereafter I ripped everything in OGG at top quality. Having recently bought an iPod, I've been having to re-rip everything into top-quality mp3 instead.

I object to paying almost the same for a downloaded album at with poor encoding when I can buy the CD and get top-quality rips myself.

But then since most kids now like to play their mp3s through the little, tinny speaker on their phones, I guess appreciation of sound quality will soon die out.... :angry:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Crackle said:
Ian's post is interesting. It's proof positive that I'm still one to two steps behind the trendies :angry:

Spotify has got some way to go befoe you could use it on a mobile device. My use of it for an hour has bumped my projected download use up by 2Gig for the month. Using it for a few hours a day could actually see me exceed my 20Gig download limit :evil:

Never go for a limited broadband package. Once you start using the iPlayer and Spotify on the PC and also run a WiFi radio in the kitchen, usage limits are a real burden !

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
number12bus said:
I use the monthly subscription service emusic mostly, rather good for slightly leftfield indie stuff, but all downloaded as mp3 (i.e. no evil DRM), other than I use amazom mp3 download service, which is nice and cheap (new album by The Rakes ~£6.50) and comes at a relatively high bit rate ~350kbps....
Wow - that's amazing! I can only get 320Kbps out of any existing software!!! :biggrin:;)

Top Bottom