Which is 'greener'? Petrol or diesel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Almost daily in fact.

Licramite

Über Member
Have you considered Electric? - or hybred(as in electric/petrol - not the bike)
At present more expensive buy but running costs are negligible.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
A proper square Land Rover is the greenest vehicle on the planet because they can be repaired and refurbished ad infinitum using parts taken off other Land Rovers, with no need to throw them away.

What, like more efficient engines out of later models? There's more than one pre-73 Landy out there where the only tax exempt bit is the VIN plate...

Speaking of Land Rovers, how does the enviromental impact of preserving chemicals (such as zinc for galvanising the chassis) come into the equation?

i can understand why, but not how. isn't it illegal to run red in anything but ag vehicles and limited use?
Cheers Ed

It's the other way round, I think. It's illegal to use diesel mean for agricultural vehicles and the like on the road. To make it easy to identify, they dye it red. I suppose there's nothing to stop you dying your own diesel, if you really wanted to.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You've missed the point.

....and Land Rover chasis are not galvanised, they are just painted steel. You can buy a galvanised chassis when you replace it. Zinc is a natural element, there are thousands of tons of it in the ground.

subaqua

What’s the point
Have you considered Electric? - or hybred(as in electric/petrol - not the bike)
At present more expensive buy but running costs are negligible.

need to define greener. moving it from the tailpipe to the smokestack is not solving any long term problems and is akin to putting a sticking plaster on a broken leg.
ripping open of the earth to extract the minerals and rare earth elements required to make batteries is not a great thing either and teds to leave the environment a lot less verdant than it was before the extraction started.

proper circular usage of materials would help but most can't yet be recycled due to
1) the pollution problem
2) the cost
3) the laziness of the Great unwashed in recycling rather than just dumping in landfill

Licramite

Über Member
need to define greener. moving it from the tailpipe to the smokestack is not solving any long term problems and is akin to putting a sticking plaster on a broken leg.
ripping open of the earth to extract the minerals and rare earth elements required to make batteries is not a great thing either and teds to leave the environment a lot less verdant than it was before the extraction started.

proper circular usage of materials would help but most can't yet be recycled due to
1) the pollution problem
2) the cost
3) the laziness of the Great unwashed in recycling rather than just dumping in landfill

So how do you propose he gets from A - B , walk?, cycle. swim. Horseback
you can forget public transport they get you from C-D, not from were you start to not were you finish. with equal polution.

Drago

Legendary Member
Cycling works for me the bulk of the time. How many of us could work from home? I could do much of my job from home and at least half the days would never need to go to the office.

It's as much a problem of society and expectation as it is of a genuine need to travel.

subaqua

What’s the point
So how do you propose he gets from A - B , walk?, cycle. swim. Horseback
you can forget public transport they get you from C-D, not from were you start to not were you finish. with equal polution.
The point I was trying to make that there isn't a " greener" option as they all have pitfalls that make them as bad as each other.

Start looking at the limited resources we have then devise proper workable solutions instead of being greedy and self centred .

Oh and BTW public transport is great. I walked from home to the tube this morning, got the 1st tube to kings cross via Liverpool street then a train 30 minutes later to the great/grim north ( delete as applicable - Doncaster if that helps) and was on site quicker than if I had driven from London less stressed and had breakfast on the train.

Same when I go to Cambridge , Southampton , North Wales , Scotland . Lots of them I ride the 8 miles to the station then ride the other end.

Panniers are great

It only doesn't work when you don't want it to. I still use my car when I have to go on dive trips but I covered that further up the thread.

Lots of peeps here have eschewed the car.

young Ed

Veteran
It's the other way round, I think. It's illegal to use diesel mean for agricultural vehicles and the like on the road. To make it easy to identify, they dye it red. I suppose there's nothing to stop you dying your own diesel, if you really wanted to.
no it is most definitely that red diesel is for all use in ag machinery and vehicles. other wise if we used it for all the field work and then had to pull the hay trailer a couple of miles down the road but couldn't run red for the road work, how would we do that?
it is simply a tax exempt diesel as i say, for all ag use. although there are rules that SHOULD be followed as to what and what isn't ag, for example certain types of haulage don't count as ag and thus you shouldn't really run on red for such work

ag machinery/vehicles are exempt on a lot of things: tax free (red) diesel, no 'road tax', no MOT
Cheers Ed

Licramite

Über Member
OK there is no Pollution free option. I agree we could work from home more (I would if my broadband wasn't delivered by tractor)
All I can say is your very lucky, when I go to site I'm lugging surveying gear, and don't have all day to get too them.

Unfortunately in the real world people need transport (my mates in the service - photocopier - business and covers over a 1000miles a week. - I bet the food you buy wasn't grown within 3miles of the supermarket or delivered in bicycle panniers.

Oh and we don't all live in London

Drago

Legendary Member
You are indeed correct. But society and the distribution of resources today is an artificial construct designed for consumer and capitalist convenience. There's no physical reason why this is so.

subaqua

What’s the point
OK there is no Pollution free option. I agree we could work from home more (I would if my broadband wasn't delivered by tractor)
All I can say is your very lucky, when I go to site I'm lugging surveying gear, and don't have all day to get too them.

Unfortunately in the real world people need transport (my mates in the service - photocopier - business and covers over a 1000miles a week. - I bet the food you buy wasn't grown within 3miles of the supermarket or delivered in bicycle panniers.

Oh and we don't all live in London

I wasn't born or brought up in London. I grew up in Wales where the bus service was one every millenia so i used a bike. when i was on the tools as an installation spark rather than an engineer like now, i used a van. my tools are now an ipad and a laptop . the ballache is boots hardhat etc . I too don't have all day to get to places. but public transport got me there quicker and less stressed than by car. 6 years ago i would have been using your arguments , but i tried it and found it worked.

Top Bottom