Which is 'greener'? Petrol or diesel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
It's a bit bigger than a lorry. Though it does door to door deliveries (sort of - port to oil rig)
View attachment 86470
oh right, must be confusing the lorry driving with another member.
how many litre tank do you have on that bad boy? and do you work in miles to the gallon, if so what are we talking? although it's more likely gallons to the mile!
Cheers Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Only if you don't drive it.
take the series 1 landrover, the original. made from 1948-1956 so 59-67 years old. and they run a 1.6l petrol or a 2l petrol or diesel which is about the size of, or maybe slightly smaller, than many modern cars and smaller than most modern trucks. they used aluminum left over from war planes from the second world war and the paint was war surplus as well. i would love to know how many 15 reg vehicles will be about and on the roads in 67 years time! and how many series 1 land rovers will have been scrapped etc in the next 67 years
i reckon they are pretty environmentally friendly even if their EXHAUST emissions are slightly higher than a modern g-whizz. oh and i forgot, they were all (and they modern defenders as well) made in the UK in Solihull so not shipped across seas etc by @Piemaster burning 300_ litres diesel an hour! :biggrin:
Cheers

subaqua

What’s the point
take the series 1 landrover, the original. made from 1948-1956 so 59-67 years old. and they run a 1.6l petrol or a 2l petrol or diesel which is about the size of, or maybe slightly smaller, than many modern cars and smaller than most modern trucks. they used aluminum left over from war planes from the second world war and the paint was war surplus as well. i would love to know how many 15 reg vehicles will be about and on the roads in 67 years time! and how many series 1 land rovers will have been scrapped etc in the next 67 years
i reckon they are pretty environmentally friendly even if their EXHAUST emissions are slightly higher than a modern g-whizz. oh and i forgot, they were all (and they modern defenders as well) made in the UK in Solihull so not shipped across seas etc by @Piemaster burning 300_ litres diesel an hour! :biggrin:
Cheers

to be fair one of the Mech engs in work actually did the carbon calcs when told he had to change his 15 year old passat diesel for a newer one as the car policy changed so that all vehicles had to be less than 130g /km . he found the carbon value of a new one versus the old one and the mileage he was doing and hios actuial calculated fuel usage and it worked out greener to keep the old one on the road

oh right, must be confusing the lorry driving with another member.
how many litre tank do you have on that bad boy? and do you work in miles to the gallon, if so what are we talking? although it's more likely gallons to the mile!
Cheers Ed
About 1,400,000 litres, a lot is carried as a cargo though.. Consumption is around 8,000 litres per day, very much depends on what the job entails. Very roughly around 30 litre/nautical mile. Somehow that actually sounds very economical to me!

young Ed

Veteran
No, all vehicles. It was so they could check if drivers were supplementing their own fuel usage if they suspected anyone of theft.
i can understand why, but not how. isn't it illegal to run red in anything but ag vehicles and limited use?
Cheers Ed

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
My current car - a 2010 Citroen C3 Airdream+ is Band A (99g/km and Euro 5) so no VED. Official fuel economy 84mpg, actual fuel economy over the last 18 months mid 50s.
My previous car, a 2003 Citroen C3 Desire HDI was Band B (110g/km) and £20 VED. Official fuel economy 72mpg, actual fuel economy over 10 years 62mpg.
So the newer "greener" car actually uses significantly more fuel on the same journeys.
That said, work hired me a petrol Peugeot 107 which is suppose to do 60+ mpg and that only managed 37mpg despite being driven sensibly...

subaqua

What’s the point
My current car - a 2010 Citroen C3 Airdream+ is Band A (99g/km and Euro 5) so no VED. Official fuel economy 84mpg, actual fuel economy over the last 18 months mid 50s.
My previous car, a 2003 Citroen C3 Desire HDI was Band B (110g/km) and £20 VED. Official fuel economy 72mpg, actual fuel economy over 10 years 62mpg.
So the newer "greener" car actually uses significantly more fuel on the same journeys.
That said, work hired me a petrol Peugeot 107 which is suppose to do 60+ mpg and that only managed 37mpg despite being driven sensibly...

you don't drive hire cars sensibly. you drive them hard as they ain't yours

Drago

Legendary Member
Funny that France has a military approximately 1/3 bigger than ours (and, incidentally about 1/3 less expensive) and they have adopted the NATO standard fuel of... diesel! Seeing as new military vehicles (including tanks) are not exempt from Euro emissions regulations it'll be interesting to see how they dodge that one. Perish the thought that a war machine might do something dangerous.

Top Bottom