Which is 'greener'? Petrol or diesel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SD1

Have you considered Electric? - or hybred(as in electric/petrol - not the bike)
At present more expensive buy but running costs are negligible.
As long as you ignore the subsidies;
  • 35% off the cost of a car, up to a maximum of £5,000
  • 20% off the cost of a van, up to a maximum of £8,000
And the subsidies in lower tax's on electricity than petrol/diesal.
Where does the electric come from .....power stations down power lines which lose electricity in transmission.
The batteries also have very short life, the replacement costs may even outweigh the subsidies.
Junk environmentalism

SD1

Agri vehicles can use it on road for transiting between farm and field i believe. . i might be wrong tho
They can use it anywhere they want but as the amount they use would probably mean that driving Norfolk to London would be cheaper in car ....a lot cheaper.

SD1

I am sticking to the cheapest fuel of all. I reckon fish, chips and peas is equal to 127.2 miles on a touring bike with 15 kilos of luggage.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
I don't believe so, but they are damaging to the environment - global warming isn't the only angle.

They do damage to lungs, definitely. Unlike carbon dioxide which is necessary for the environment.

Drago

Legendary Member
Particulates, particularly high altitude ones, have a cooling effect. This was discovered by accident in the days after 9/11 when all civil air traffic was grounded, and a measurable temperature rise noted.

Downside is they may make your lungs hotter.

Last edited:

SD1

I don't believe so, but they are damaging to the environment - global warming isn't the only angle.
In what way do they damage the environment? I like that they are more efficient. Also what will the effect be of not producing diesal from oil. Will some of the oil become a waste product?

albion

Guru
In the VW controversy it turns out that in real use, VW do not do that bad.

The worlds worst polluter seems to be Vauxhall where they get to pollute 1000% of the maximum allowed emissions. (Vectra)
From what I gather, at low speed the pollutant is captured but when speed is obtained, rather than correctly burning the pollutant, you get mega high exhaust pollutant output.

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/some-vauxhall-diesel-cars-among-uks-worst-polluters/

NOx went up 50% for Corsa and 100% for Astra compared to older Astras and Corsas! So VW has become a bit of a convenient fall guy for a massive con.

Top Bottom