Will it be there when the owner gets back?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd be tempted to 'borrow' it just to teach the owner a lesson.... :evil:

Trouble is that someone probably has....

You need a lock for your bike.... this will do the job

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Although you would have to rip out the rear brake cable.

I once left my bike locked outside a restaurant in Hammersmith while I had lunch. I came back to find some scrote had tried and failed to steal it, but in their frustration had tried to, I dunno, teach me a lesson or something by cutting through the brake cable. Fortunately they went for the rear brake, and doubly fortunately they failed even to get fully through the outer.

I felt like leaving a note for the would-be thief to suggest a career change.

dim

Or part of a Police sting operation? :okay:

I collected a bike from a seller in Liverpool street station London

while I was waiting for him, I stood outside the station .... big signs by the bike racks saying that if you steal a bike, it could be the one planted there by the police with a tracking device

cops need to do similar here in Cambridge

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
judging by the rubber bung on the rear axle this is a day or two old bike
That was the first thing I noticed! It could say "day or two old bike" I suppose, but it's more likely saying "owner hasn't noticed this bit yet, and even when he does, he'll not be sure whether it's supposed to be there, or whether it is in fact part of the packaging." That phase could last anywhere from some months to some years. Given the naivety of the rider on how a lock works, I'm going with the latter.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I once left my bike locked outside a restaurant in Hammersmith while I had lunch. I came back to find some scrote had tried and failed to steal it, but in their frustration had tried to, I dunno, teach me a lesson or something by cutting through the brake cable. Fortunately they went for the rear brake, and doubly fortunately they failed even to get fully through the outer.

I felt like leaving a note for the would-be thief to suggest a career change.

A lad bought his newish Cannondale MTB into my local bike shop when I was in last week.

Someone had tried to steal it and ripped out the fork lock-out cable.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
As I was walking out of tescos yesterday a guy, late twenties at most walked in and parked a nice looking Cannondale mtb in the lobby area and went inside. Who on earth would ever have known it wasn't mine if I just waltzed off with it. Bonkers. He's just asking for it. It was better than my mtb too.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have to admit that I've left my bike in a similar state, while I nip and buy a Lion bar or some such. But not if I'm going to have to have my eyes off the bike for more than 30sec at a time, and not in highly populated areas.

I find it quite unnerving that there are 'fellow' cyclists that wish to 'teach them a lesson' or extort money from the person that hasn't locked the bike to their particular standards.

I agree, it is not locked sufficiently to stop it from being easily stolen, but surely it would be better to have a chat with the other cyclist rather than the measures that have been mentioned.

Imagine if that is some old woman that had locked the bike up to return to either an empty space or a note demanding money. What sort of anguish would that have bestowed on her ??

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I find it quite unnerving that there are 'fellow' cyclists that wish to 'teach them a lesson' or extort money from the person that hasn't locked the bike to their particular standards.

I agree, it is not locked sufficiently to stop it from being easily stolen, but surely it would be better to have a chat with the other cyclist rather than the measures that have been mentioned.

Imagine if that is some old woman that had locked the bike up to return to either an empty space or a note demanding money. What sort of anguish would that have bestowed on her ??

I don't think they are entirely serious and as for using your own lock I think this was meant as a help.

Top Bottom