Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle, Sun 26th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Hi, I could give you a lift; if I take the M62, I could join the M60 and then go up the M66 towards Rossendale.

I've got an old VW Touran (Zafira type MPV). If you are happy with 'plonking' your bike on top of mine, there'd be no need for me to bring my towbar mounted bike carrier for just two bikes, since they'll both fit inside the car. I don't know how long it would take to get from Rossendale to Settle, but if you do want a lift, I think that I'd need to pick you up between 8.45am - 9.00am ? (You'll probably have to do the directions to Settle :biggrin: )

If anyone else from the region also wants a lift - get in touch; if necessary, I can easily fit the towbar mounted bike carrier - which carries 3 - 4 bikes. No excuses, let's have a good turnout for ColinJ !!

fantastic, obviously i'll go halves for the fuel. i'll pm my address.

cheers

shaun

PaulB

Legendary Member
The only gripe I have about this route, fantastic though it is, is that there are much better counties around than the one we'll have to spend the day in. When I say 'countIES', I of course mean 'counTY' and you don't have to go so far to avail yourself of the sumptuous scenery in the Red Rose county and not having to sully your senses in the inferior (beer apart), white rose county.

All in all, Lancashire beats all the yorkshires in virtually every category.

And that is my considered opinion! So ner!

evilclive

Anybody know of any free parking in Settle??

As mentioned earlier, I know of a reasonable amount about a mile out of town. Weather's looking good, and if it remains that way we'll be riding that mile in the morning.

Greenfoot is supposed to be 2.2 quid for the day, though whether that's the internet fibbing or not I can't tell.

Alternatives include finding a suitable street and parking on it, but I can't really make any recommendations there since I obviously never have to do it :-)

pubrunner

Legendary Member
That's a great first post.:biggrin:

Yeah, I'm well impressed !

Bucko - you'll be most welcome; hopefully, you won't be young, very fit and very fast - otherwise, you might have to wait at the top of the hills for quite awhile, for the likes of myself . . . . . . . it can get cold, all that standing around :biggrin: .

pubrunner

Legendary Member
As far as I can tell, this is currently how we stand for Sunday:

Riders
  • Steve H + ColinJ
  • colly + Bokonon (+ Calum if Morrissey doesn't finish him off on Saturday night!)
  • zacklaws
  • swarm_catcher
  • Kestevan + 1 or 2 mates
  • pubrunner (+bromptonfb)
  • tubbycyclist (from Dent to Kettlewell)
  • PaulB + Liam
  • Fiona N
Possibles
  • Pennine-Paul
  • evilclive + partner on tandem
  • Bucko (or should he be on the above list ?)

I have arranged to give bromptonfb a lift, so we will both be there on Sunday.

Numbers are looking pretty good; any more out there ???????

Be great if we could get 20 riders !

bucko

I'm a definete, as for my fittness level. Ive only done a few triathlons in the last few months. I've not done that type of milage for a while now. I'll try and keep up.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If everybody turns up who says they are going to, then it should be my biggest forum ride yet. It will probably go down in the record books as the most-walked route yet too ... ;)

I reckon that the faster riders will do the Dent station and Fleet Moss climbs in about 20-25 minutes and the slow riders/walkers will take 40-50 minutes so there will be long waits at those summits. Fortunately, Sunday is forecast to be very warm so as long as any showers we get are not heavy, it shouldn't be too unpleasant up there! If conditions are not that good, then it might be better for the fast riders to wait after the descents, but we can sort that out on Sunday when we see how everyone is going and what the weather is doing.

Er, yes, welcome Bucko! You should be okay for speed because we won't be going quickly. It's more a question of who conks out first! :whistle:

As for you, PaulB ... I'm quite happy to alternate between the Red and White Rose counties - I love 'em both but we've given Lancashire a fair crack of the whip this year, and will heading back over there soon. In fact, I got permission from my sister to organise a ride on Sunday, 3rd July and I'm thinking of riding out to Waddington again, or maybe to Chipping for a change? (My sister and husband are up that weekend but they are happy to go off and do the tourist thing while I ride my bike!) I'll start a thread about that ride later.

Remember to bring locks for the cafe stop(s)! I think we would be unlucky to have bikes stolen, but it does happen and I wouldn't like it to happen to one of us! Steve H can share my lock, the rest of you can sort yourselves out.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Ive only done a few triathlons in the last few months.

Smarmy git ! :biggrin:

I'll try and keep up.

Yeah right ! I'll be the one who is 'trying'. :whistle:

I bet you've got an uber-light bike !

You will be waiting at the top of the hills - I hope you don't get cold ! :thumbsup:

Two postings and you've already signed up for a ride ! That has got to be some kind of a record ! I mean, I've been a member of this forum for nearly 4 years and this will be my first ride. You've joined yesterday and you'll be out on Sunday - you must be a serious rider !

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Latest list:

Riders

• Steve H + ColinJ
  • colly + Bokonon (+ Calum if Morrissey doesn't finish him off on Saturday night!)
  • zacklaws
  • swarm_catcher
  • Kestevan + 1 or 2 mates
  • pubrunner + bromptonfb
  • tubbycyclist (from Dent to Kettlewell)
  • PaulB + Liam
  • Fiona N
  • Bucko
  • Pennine-Paul
Possibles
  • evilclive + partner on tandem

Have you decided whether you are definitely coming, evilclive + tandem partner?

Alun

Guru
Have a good time folks! I have to drink beer in Wolverhampton on Saturday night, I'm afraid.

The weather doesn't look to bad though!

bucko

A friend at my tri club said she had seen the ride organized. It is quite local for me also, I'm only in rossendale about 15 miles away.

Ive never rode in a group before so I don't know the rules yet. I do quite a few miles per week, but need the big milage.

Im fimiliar with the area, I used to ride my motorbike up that way. It will be very busy with motorbikes cos the forcast is good.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

A friend at my tri club said she had seen the ride organized. It is quite local for me also, I'm only in rossendale about 15 miles away.

Ive never rode in a group before so I don't know the rules yet. I do quite a few miles per week, but need the big milage.

Im fimiliar with the area, I used to ride my motorbike up that way. It will be very busy with motorbikes cos the forcast is good.
You ought to see if pubrunner can give you a lift because he is already driving to Rossendale to pick up bromptonfb!

The main thing to remember about riding in a group is not to do anything unexpected or sudden or you will have people bumping into you or having to swerve! It also helps if you point/call out any potholes or glass to riders behind you.

We won't be riding like some kind of pro peloton though. We'll just be chatting, enjoying the scenery and taking our time. It's going to be an all-day ride.

I think we should avoid most of the motorcyclists on the small roads that we are using. We will be doing about half a kilometre on the A65 though and we will have to be careful on that. I went up to Scotland along that stretch of the road a couple of weeks ago and paramedics were attending to a crashed motorcyclist at the side of the road! :wacko:

Top Bottom