Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle, Sun 26th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
What a turnout! I'm gonna buy some food, lucozade and sun block this afternoon. I apologise in advance for a slightly creeky bottom bracket! I can't be arsed to bring a coat so if it rains, i'll just have to get wet - it'll be refreshing by that point anyway!
I'm just slightly concerned at the timing of any thundery showers. If we get them, they could be about the time we will be riding up Fleet Moss and the last place you want to be in a thunderstorm is on top of a 1,900 ft hill!

I was once about to climb over the big hill between Oxenhope and Hebden Bridge when a violent thunderstorm blew in. Multiple lightning bolts were zapping down on the road far above me so I decided it was a good idea to wait in Oxenhope until the storm was finished. I sheltered in the waiting room of Oxenhope railway station and got chatting to a local in there. He told me that his neighbour had been hanging out the washing once when a freak bolt of lightning hit her and blasted her over the wall into the next garden! :eek:

When I finally rode up the climb, so much rain had fallen in such a short space of time that underground streams had lifted the road surface and in one place, a natural gravity-fed fountain had appeared in the middle of the road!

This incident was 100 yards from my sister's house in Coventry! Also see this post.

Lightning ... (shudder)!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Way too many posts in this thread postulating about the weather. You are all worrying way too much.

Here in Shropshire, the weather's sh1te. Hot weather was (mistakenly) predicted - my Missus told me yesterday, that she wouldn't mind a BBQ today - no chance of that.

But regardless of weather, I shall be there. Nervously looking forward to it.

I've reserved us some good weather...

I hope it gets here soon; knowing my luck, it'll be Monday that gets all the golden sunshine.

I don't know what it is like up in Settle, but the weather is very unsettled (:biggrin: ) here and extremely blustery. I can see us getting blown around quite a bit. Well, I'll be alright :whistle: , but the lighter riders might have to carefully hang on to their bikes.

evilclive

Greenfoot is supposed to be 2.2 quid for the day, though whether that's the internet fibbing or not I can't tell.

Have just popped in there, and the internet is not telling lies this time - Greenfoot is 2.2 quid for the day. Ashfield and Whitefriars are 3.8 quid. (Whitefriars is the one with the petrol station, Ashfield is to west of the Cafe, Greenfoot is here http://goo.gl/maps/KeXv

(turn right up Ingfield Lane before you get to the town centre to get there).

Steve H

Large Member
I apologise in advance for a slightly creeky bottom bracket!

I've just spent about half an hour going over my bike tightening all the bolts, making sure everything is in place to stop a creeking noise. Feeling pretty confident, I went for a quick spin around the block. Guess what? It still creeks. Calum - I'll be riding next to you and pretending all the creeks are coming from your bike
whistling.gif

I'm just slightly concerned at the timing of any thundery showers. If we get them, they could be about the time we will be riding up Fleet Moss and the last place you want to be in a thunderstorm is on top of a 1,900 ft hill!

Lightning ... (shudder)!

Yes - this could be pretty hair raising (well it would be if I had much hair left). For a moment, I was reading your post and thinking, 'Hey, we've got rubber tyres - this is a great insulator, therefore the lighting won't conduct through us.' But having thought some more on it, this is definitely not worth chancing. Anyone know a bus shelter on Fleet Moss that 18 riders can fit under??
rain.gif

potsy

Rambler
Top tip for any newcomers -Colinj and Steve make an excellent wind break :whistle:

Have a good ride guys, I'll be tootling around the local area in the expected heatwave :sun:

Fiona N

Veteran
The latest weather forecast should now be pretty accurate (fingers crossed!) and it is for an increasingly warm-hot day with sunny intervals, humid and breezy with quite strong gusts from the SW, slight risk of thundery showers later.

And for me, heavy showers followed by dark clouds on my way to Settle :sad: So I reckon it's going to be a waterproof, knee warmers and overshoes to start. Better leave the saddle bag on for all the abandoned gear as it heats up :becool:

Steve H

Large Member
Top tip for any newcomers -Colinj and Steve make an excellent wind break :whistle:

Have a good ride guys, I'll be tootling around the local area in the expected heatwave :sun:

Still chance to change your mind potsy. I think it is going to be quite a slow ride, so I'm sure you will be fine.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had decided to transplant the new Specialized Body Geometry saddle from my MTB to my Basso for tomorrow. It suits my current lardy arse better than my Arione which I will now reserve for the super-slim and fit ColinJ to (eventually!) come.

I go to take the old saddle off and discover that the clamp bolt is stuck, Two allen keys with an extension tube for leverage can't shift it. Both keys are now rounded off. Damn ...

Plan 'B' ... I realise that the seat post on my Cannondale is the same diameter as the one with the stuck clamp. It also a nice titanium Campagnolo post rather than the cheapo stuck one I have been using. Super, I'll use that on the Basso and buy a new one for the Cannondale when funds permit. Mean time, I can swap the post/saddle between bikes as and when necessary.

Now to take the saddle off the MTB. I go to wheel it out into a more accessible position and discover that either the rear disk brake has seized or something odd has happened to the hub because the back wheel is very reluctant to turn. I wrote on the forum last week how reliable my Hope brakes have been for 10 years and that seems to have jinxed them!

Yes - this could be pretty hair raising (well it would be if I had much hair left). For a moment, I was reading your post and thinking, 'Hey, we've got rubber tyres - this is a great insulator, therefore the lighting won't conduct through us.'
It always makes me laugh when people talk about the insulating properties of tyres. Lightning has been known to travel many miles through the air before striking the ground. Several miles of air forms a pretty good insulator ... ;)

Here's a little video shot in Hebden Bridge in the summer of 2006 ...

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRjxVDtxu54[/media]

You can see lightning striking the nearby hillside at 1:30, 4:18, and 4:55. There is also a vehicle damage assessment by a skilled Hebden Bridge mechanic at 6:00! :laugh:

If one of these storms forms tomorrow, I want to be somewhere else! :eek:

Steve H

Large Member
Colin you are scaring me now. Your brakes comment has reminded my that the J after CoilnJ stands for Jinks. I still remember my spoke going in my wheel after you talked about spokes breaking and there have been plenty of others.

You've now been talking about lightening strikes...

... it may be safer staying in bed all day tomorrow.

I
hope you all have a pain-free ride tomorrow with cyclist-friendly weather and no tom-foolery from inconsiderate road-users. You've no idea how much I'd love to be with you. I look forward to the reports and photos.

Stay safe.

:hello:

Top Bottom