Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle, Sun 26th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've got the new saddle on. It looks a bit odd because it is white, but I'm not convcerned with that - I'm more interested in still being able to sit down for the second half of the ride!

I've also been more efficient than usual and got my drinks and kit ready this evening so I don't have to get up quite so early. 3 alarms set at 3 minute intervals to make extra sure that I don't over-sleep.

I'll check in here in the morning to see if there are any last minute cancellations or declarations of intent.

The only rain on the latest forecast is for about when we are setting off.

See you 09:45ish in Settle! :becool:

Just to let you know I'll be doing the shorter route tomorrow I.E. back through Horton in ribblesdale

Unless we make really good time getting to hawes that is.

My wife was admitted to Hospital this morning with a temp of 42 degrees,shes had some sort of

water infection all week that has.nt responded to antibiotics,She's wired up to a drip and they're

giving her a different type of antibiotic,so unless there's a change in her condition overnight I'll be

there in the morning,but doing the shorter route to enable me to get back for visiting time in the evening

will post if I'm not coming in the morn

Hopefully see you all tomorrow

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Blimey, sorry to hear that Paul. If you come, I think you are going to need the shortcut because I can't see any way that we are going to be very quick on the full route. Even if everybody else was capable of riding quickly, I won't be.

I hope your wife makes a swift recovery.

moxey

Have a great ride everyone, the weather is looking like it has potential to be a nice day.

Half an hour into a 12 hour shift :cry:

Looking forward to reading how you all get on.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Perhaps I shouldn't have stayed up drinking beer and watching TV until 02:40 ...? :whistle:

And perhaps I should also have averaged more than 20 miles a week on my bike over the past 2 months ...? :blush:

Oh well, at least pubrunner should be at least as slow/unfit as me! :thumbsup:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Just to say our Liam bashed his knee and is worried about causing further damage so he'll be missing today. I'm coming in from Giggleswick so if I'm not there by 10 (should be) then set off as normal and you'll pick me up on that road out towards Helwith Bridge/Austwick.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just to say our Liam bashed his knee and is worried about causing further damage so he'll be missing today. I'm coming in from Giggleswick so if I'm not there by 10 (should be) then set off as normal and you'll pick me up on that road out towards Helwith Bridge/Austwick.
Ouch!

Paul, we aren't actually going to Helwith Bridge, we are using the little lane that goes from Settle to Austwick via Little Stainforth.

well no news from hospital overnight so all looks well there,

setting off in a mo

see you all later :biggrin:

Hopefully, no news is good news. See you in Settle.

Yikes - sunblock time - Steve will be waiting!

PaulB

Legendary Member
Ouch!

Paul, we aren't actually going to Helwith Bridge, we are using the little lane that goes from Settle to Austwick via Little Stainforth.

No, I know it doesn't actually reach Helwith Bridge but it is the minor road that runs parallel to the main route to HW and Horton. I know that lane well as it's the one used in the duathlon.

PaulB

Legendary Member
well i made it back to settle without any more problems with the b/b

Put the original bearings back in ----------------------------------no further problems :rolleyes:

So are you all burnt like lobsters???

It's still 28 degrees at 8.30 just not cooling down

Burnt like lobsters? Lucky not to bloody drown the rain came down so hard and within minutes, the road was flooded and we were cycling with water up to our pedals. It was brutal when tiny hailstones battered us and obviously you needed to take your glasses off to see which meant it was incredibly painful on the face and eyes with the hail and the road speed coming down hill. All-in-all though, a fab day on a terrific route that I would recommend to anyone. Superb stuff this.

PaulB

Legendary Member
looks like I had a lucky escape with the weather

In a choice between hail and heat I'll take heat everytime

I had some trouble with my chainring from the bottom of Garsdale all the rest of the way and could really have done with you, your skills and your toolkit around at that stage! Good to see you today though and glad you sorted your velocipede out satisfactorily.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Just got back.

Bath, food and alcohol are the immedaiate priorities. :smile:

Cracking ride Colin, had a bit of everything. sun, rain, hail, exploding tyres..... but mainly hills, and then some more hills, toppped off with another hill.

We were beginning to believe you had enlisted M.C Escher to design the route, as I'm convinced there were more ups than downs.

Top Bottom