Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle, Sun 26th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve H

Large Member
Way too many posts in this thread postulating about the weather. You are all worrying way too much. If I can refer you all back to my post on the first page - I was in Settle a few weeks ago and I've reserved us some good weather...

Sorry to hear that STASS. Shame you won't be out and about on rides during early summer. I've been up to Settle this weekend. We were camping in the Dales and we popped into Settle for a spot of lunch. Whilst I was there, I've booked us some really good weather for this ride in a couple of weeks time!:tongue:

Just to be clear for everyone - I've ordered us a very pleasant day. There will be sunshine and a gentle cooling breeze in the morning. It will get warmer in the early afternoon. And then especially for me and Colin, we will have a strong tail wind to help us up the steep bit of Fleet Moss. Now stop worrying everyone - it's going to be glorious!
whistling.gif

Steve H

Large Member
Steve H can share my lock, the rest of you can sort yourselves out.

Cheers Colin
thumbsup.png

evilclive

Have you decided whether you are definitely coming, evilclive + tandem partner?

If the weather holds, we're planning to be a "yes". Would be a shame not to given you've carefully planned it to leave from our doorstep :-)

Agreed re motorbikes - we're not riding the main triangle (settle -> ribble head -> ingleton -> settle), so nothing to worry about there. And even if we were, it's never that bad.

Yes, the Austwick -> Clapham section requires care - another one which is better the other way round :-)

Does anybody want some "sports recovery drink" powder? My house is getting polluted with the stuff due to recent orders from CRC.

Ajay

Veteran
Have a great ride everyone, shame I can't join you this time. Stay safe, if you don't know the roads listen to Colinj's advice, especially on the descents. Looking forward to reading the write-ups, I think it might be a long old day! Pubrunner, err good luck ;-)

PaulB

Legendary Member
Sorry to be a bit of a damp squib but we're going to need to head back earlier than we thought. We will be there on time on the 'start line' and certainly be able to stick with the group for a fair old ride but can't stay too long on the cafe stops so may have to take our leave of you sometime (as yet undetermined) on the course somewhere.

zacklaws

Guru
Colin, just tried to download the route and "bikely.com" is down, I don't know if it is just temporary or what and if it will be back up by Saturday night when I finish getting ready for Sunday, is it possible to repost it somewhere else.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Could'nt get my head around gears again,been too long s/s and fixed I guess

The hill i live on is about 20% and I can walk up that pushing my bike faster than

the mtb's can crawl up in granny gear

will be geared lower than my fixed tho around 64inches

i've only done about 300 miles fixed and have just got the geared bike fettled. i took it for a test ride, wow it felt really weird being able to freewheel, quite unsettling. i reckon once i'm back to full fitness i'll be only riding fixed.

i can only imagine how weird it felt for an experienced fixie rider like yourself.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Colin, just tried to download the route and "bikely.com" is down, I don't know if it is just temporary or what and if it will be back up by Saturday night when I finish getting ready for Sunday, is it possible to repost it somewhere else.
So it is! They said that they were having to do a major upgrade because the site has hit the endstops. The same thing happened to their forum - I call that careless planning!

You can pick up a copy of the GPX route file here.

zacklaws

Guru
So it is! They said that they were having to do a major upgrade because the site has hit the endstops. The same thing happened to their forum - I call that careless planning!

You can pick up a copy of the GPX route file here.

Cheers, thanks for that, I can now replan it in bikeroutetoaster and upload into my 800

i've only done about 300 miles fixed and have just got the geared bike fettled. i took it for a test ride, wow it felt really weird being able to freewheel, quite unsettling. i reckon once i'm back to full fitness i'll be only riding fixed.

i can only imagine how weird it felt for an experienced fixie rider like yourself.

I really struggled on that ride,initally put it down to having no breakfast and then

getting the dreaded bonk after a couple of hours,Turns out it was the painkillers

the quack gave me for my back pain,was in Asda a couple of days later

and I got the bonk whilst shopping :ohmy: couldnt lift a box of beer out of the trolley

and my legs were like jelly.Thankfully my back's 100% now

Been riding singlespeed for the last couple of weeks now,It's all coming back to me now,

Freewheeling down the hills--------------------------------------Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The latest weather forecast should now be pretty accurate (fingers crossed!) and it is for an increasingly warm-hot day with sunny intervals, humid and breezy with quite strong gusts from the SW, slight risk of thundery showers later.

So ...

• Hopefully we will get to see at least some of the gorgeous scenery in sunlight
  • There is a sunburn warning so remember to Slip-Slop-Slap
  • It will be a real sweat-fest so take plenty to drink
  • There will probably be a tailwind on the Dent station climb (hooray!), a headwind on Fleet Moss (boo!) and the risk of gusting crosswinds on some descents (yikes!)
  • I suggest that you carry a lightweight jacket in case of showers
  • Take a camera if you can, to back me up on the photography front
  • Carry a lock for the cafe stops?
  • Some of you know me already, for the others, I'll be the tallish, fat bloke accompanied by the even taller but not-so-fat bloke! ;)
  • If you are coming, meet us outside Ye Olde Naked Man Cafe at about 09:45. If you arrive after 10:00, we might have already set off so you'd have to chase us (make sure you know the first part of the route so you could!)

Definitive list of riders?

• Steve H + ColinJ
  • colly + Bokonon (+ Calum if Morrissey doesn't finish him off on Saturday night!)
  • zacklaws
  • swarm_catcher
  • Kestevan + 1 or 2 mates
  • pubrunner + bromptonfb
  • tubbycyclist (from Dent to Kettlewell)
  • PaulB + Liam
  • Fiona N
  • Bucko
  • Pennine-Paul
  • evilclive + partner on tandem
Remember - Be There Or Be Square! :thumbsup:

Calum

What a turnout! I'm gonna buy some food, lucozade and sun block this afternoon. I apologise in advance for a slightly creeky bottom bracket! I can't be arsed to bring a coat so if it rains, i'll just have to get wet - it'll be refreshing by that point anyway!

Top Bottom