Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle, Sun 26th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not trying to worry you or anything ... ;)

Dent Station - 3.25 km at 9.5% It starts off above that then eases slightly.

Fleet Moss from Hawes - 3.0 km at 8.5%. Getting harder all the time as you ascend and on a clear day you can see exactly what is to come!

There will be walkers!

Here are some stiff local climbs for comparison :

Hebden Bridge to Heptonstall - 1.1 km at 11.9%

Holme Moss from just above Holme - 2.0 km at 10.5%

Wessenden Head from Meltham - 3.0 km at 8.7%

Otley Chevin East, from Otley - 1.6 km at 10%

(The hardest sections only; I haven't included the 'foothills'. Gradients are averages!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, I am starting to worry; my lack of structured training (any training) is beginning to concern me. Still, I shall be there and I will do my best, not to let the side down ! :thumbsup:
I'm feeling unfit so I'm a bit worried about myself too! I'm just trying to work out if it is even worth going for a ride before Sunday. It might be better for me just to save what strength I have for the weekend!

Well, we will be passing Dent and Garsdale stations, both of which are on the Settle-Carlisle railway so a train back to Settle is an emergency bailout option. It would be a real shame if anybody had to use that option, but it is there if it is needed.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Weather forecast for Sunday suggests it will be a goodun with plenty of sunshine and high temps! Bring thick gloves, rain jackets and a snow shovel in that case.

And talking of the weather, I am concerned as to whether I've done enough to get me round the big Maratona course so Sunday will be a good indicator. I've got nearly 2,000 miles in my legs for this year (1500 on the bike outside, the rest on the turbo) and over 150,000 feet of climb so far but some of the climbs in the Dolomites, the Giau in particular, fill me with trepidation. Let's see how my fat carcass copes on Sunday, eh?

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I've got nearly 2,000 miles in my legs for this year (1500 on the bike outside, the rest on the turbo) and over 150,000 feet of climb so far

Wow !!!

That's highly impressive !

(I've done about 200 miles :blush: this year)

How often do you train ?

Let's see how my fat carcass copes on Sunday, eh?

Your fat carcass will cope far better than my uber-fat carcass ! :biggrin:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
And talking of the weather, I am concerned as to whether I've done enough to get me round the big Maratona course so Sunday will be a good indicator. . . . .some of the climbs in the Dolomites, the Giau in particular, fill me with trepidation.

What kind of bike do you have, PaulB . . . . . . . . and what gearing will you have on Sunday ?

With the training that you've done, I suspect that you will be one of the quicker (or quickest) cyclists on Sunday.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
if anyone can give me a lift (wife using car) i'd be up for this one. i'm in rossendale, but can ride to get lift.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
if anyone can give me a lift (wife using car) i'd be up for this one. i'm in rossendale, but can ride to get lift.

Hi, I could give you a lift; if I take the M62, I could join the M60 and then go up the M66 towards Rossendale.

I've got an old VW Touran (Zafira type MPV). If you are happy with 'plonking' your bike on top of mine, there'd be no need for me to bring my towbar mounted bike carrier for just two bikes, since they'll both fit inside the car. I don't know how long it would take to get from Rossendale to Settle, but if you do want a lift, I think that I'd need to pick you up between 8.45am - 9.00am ? (You'll probably have to do the directions to Settle :biggrin: )

If anyone else from the region also wants a lift - get in touch; if necessary, I can easily fit the towbar mounted bike carrier - which carries 3 - 4 bikes. No excuses, let's have a good turnout for ColinJ !!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm out chaps. I've been mountain biking for the last three weeks and just haven't done the miles to enjoy myself.

And there's an odd rattle in my chest that's saying take it easy.......
Pity, dan_bo, but you are probably doing the right thing!

As far as I can tell, this is currently how we stand for Sunday:

Riders
  • Steve H + ColinJ
  • colly + Bokonon (+ Calum if Morrissey doesn't finish him off on Saturday night!)
  • zacklaws
  • swarm_catcher
  • Kestevan + 1 or 2 mates
  • pubrunner (+bromptonfb?)
  • tubbycyclist (from Dent to Kettlewell)
  • PaulB + Liam
  • Fiona N
Possibles
  • Pennine-Paul
  • evilclive + partner on tandem

Calum

Pity, dan_bo, but you are probably doing the right thing!

As far as I can tell, this is currently how we stand for Sunday:

Riders
  • Steve H + ColinJ
  • colly + Bokonon (+ Calum if Morrissey doesn't finish him off on Saturday night!)
  • zacklaws
  • swarm_catcher
  • Kestevan + 1 or 2 mates
  • pubrunner (+bromptonfb?)
  • tubbycyclist (from Dent to Kettlewell)
  • PaulB + Liam
  • Fiona N
Possibles
  • Pennine-Paul
  • evilclive + partner on tandem

He's a bit old for me! If this was 1985 though...:tongue:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi, I could give you a lift; if I take the M62, I could join the M60 and then go up the M66 towards Rossendale.
You'd might be better staying on the M6 to J29, and taking the M65 to J9 and getting off there in Burnley.

Shaun (bromptonfb) lives at the top of a big hill and could pretty much freewheel down to be picked up on the A679 at Rose Grove. You could get back on the M65 at J10, get off at J13 (Barrowford) and take the A682 to Gisburn then on to join the A65 at Long Preston, just south of Settle.

If you do go that way, take extra care on the A682. It's a lovely road, but it is twisty and turny and a bit narrow and there have been many accidents on it.

Top Bottom