Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
What have I just seen patrolling the skies above my house?

View attachment 350616

It's a buzzard @potsy .
Tail is flat, not forked
Wing shape and pattern is more buzzard than kite
Bill shape of a buzzard

So it's a buzzard.

Cubist

Still wavin'
buzzard2.jpg

kite2.jpg

gbb

Legendary Member
What have I just seen patrolling the skies above my house?

View attachment 350616

It's a buzzard @potsy .
Tail is flat, not forked
Wing shape and pattern is more buzzard than kite
Bill shape of a buzzard

So it's a buzzard.

[QUOTE 4787774, member: 9609"]it's not a buzzard.[/QUOTE]

It's one of those that needed a little more time looking at and equally of each of those you can never be sure, photo is too distant, its tail is not flared as you often see with buzzards, front of the wings are bent forward, again, you dont generally see that, a buzzards wings are often outstretched.
And yet, look very carefully at the chest, you'll need to zoom right in, a buzzard has a light coloured crescent patch on its chest and I think you can JUST JUST make it out if you look really carefully.

The general attitude of the bird in the photo didn't make me think buzzard..but...maybe it wasn't soaring but powering along, hence the slightly different body language.

If I had a quid for every bird I saw that I saw but came away not entirely sure what it really was...too distant, fleeting glimpse, etc etc

It's a big chicken.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Another seagull interaction today.....

I'd done a longish ride to Llandudno and decided to treat myself to a few beers for the train journey home. Four pack in an Asda plastic bag. Waiting at Llandudno Junction station and I needed the loo. So l left the bike and the bag (containing the beers) outside.

While having a waz I heard a right commotion outside. Finished up and walked out to find a Herring Gull attacking the bag of beers. Obviously they loiter around the platforms waiting for just such an opportunity. The bag was shredded, thankfully the beers were still intact

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Another seagull interaction today.....

I'd done a longish ride to Llandudno and decided to treat myself to a few beers for the train journey home. Four pack in an Asda plastic bag. Waiting at Llandudno Junction station and I needed the loo. So l left the bike and the bag (containing the beers) outside.

While having a waz I heard a right commotion outside. Finished up and walked out to find a Herring Gull attacking the bag of beers. Obviously they loiter around the platforms waiting for just such an opportunity. The bag was shredded, thankfully the beers were still intact

But was the bike OK? :smile:

Top Bottom